ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 725 of 2683
« First < 225625675715721722723724725 72672772872973577582512251725 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
rico 12:31 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I’m all in on Mahomes in my keeper/auction league. Dropped $3 on him in our auction last and plan to ride him hard over the next decade (salary escalates $4/year when you keep them).

I’m ready.
Awesome...

I’m planning on drafting him as well... probably get him late. It’s nice to feel confident in selecting a Chiefs QB in fantasy football.
[Reply]
rico 03:32 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Oh, I'm planning on it. Chiefs became my new favorite team when they drafted Mr. Mahomes last year.
Yeah stick around. You TT fans are SO much more bearable than those Alexsexuals were.
[Reply]
Red Beans 05:12 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Fantastic post sir! Enjoy what will perhaps be the most exciting era of Chiefs football....
Jesus! That post gave me the goose pimples and it's only 6am!
[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:13 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by rico:
Yeah stick around. You TT fans are SO much more bearable than those Alexsexuals were.
Thanks. This board has been quite welcoming and I've enjoyed reading many of the threads on the board.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:21 AM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by JDKinman:
My wife and I lived in Kansas City for three years in the mid-90's. Loved it so much I refer to it as my adopted hometown. Was a Chiefs fan way before then, however, going back to Super Bowl IV. I thought Buck Buchanan and Bobby Bell were the most dominant defensive players in the AFL.

EJ Holub was a legend and also a Texas Tech alum. I went to junior high and high school with his daughter and we were good friends. I spent a lot of time around Mr. Holub when I was in junior high and would ride my bike over to their house to hang out with Kay, his daughter. The Holubs are awesome people.

As far as the most fun player to watch on that team? Hands down for me was Ed Podolak.

I've been waiting since 1969 for the Chiefs to be a real contender again. It feels like they're finally putting it all together.

Much appreciated! We had a heckuva run this year in basketball--made it to the Elite 8 for the first time in program history. Beat KU at the Phog, which is one HELLUVA feat for any program. Contrary to the media pundits, we have a lot of genuine respect for KU basketball and hold them up as a benchmark for where we'd like to be in the near future.

Our baseball program has made the college world series twice now, and the majority of our players are also Academic All-Americans.

Football is tougher when you play in the same league as OU, Texas, TCU and Kansas State. We'll get there. Kingsbury is young, but he's where he wants to be and us older alumni are patient.

Mahomes' raw gifts and talent are other worldly and the good news is that the surface of those gifts and abilities is only now being seriously scratched. I was telling some fans at a home game in Lubbock during his last season that he was the college football version of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Who knows how good SRV would be today if he hadn't gone down in that helicopter?

Eric Clapton once said that Stevie "never got lost, never stumbled on the guitar, that the music just flowed from him. Having watched Mahomes for three years, much the same--the game and big plays seem to just flow from him. And best of all, the young man isn't even aware of it--it's just what he does on the field and how he does it.

This for most certain. As I alluded to in a previous post, Mahomes saves his swagger for the field. Off the field, he's almost shy. He is a tremendous asset to Kansas City and her surrounding towns as well as the Chiefs.

My wife and I honestly could not think of a better town and team for Pat to have gone to. Kansas City is not an arrogant city like Dallas or Philadelphia or New York. It's not flaky like Denver or San Fran or Seattle and it's not obnoxious like Boston or Oakland.

Kansas City is a working person's town where midwest roots and values still rule the day and where the community takes care of their own and does so with class and genuine empathy. Mahomes fits the town and the town fits Mahomes.

JD
That's a great story about Holub.

The Tech Alum I had great hopes for in KC was James Hadnot. After watching him tear through SWC opponents while I was in college, I thought for sure he would be a great NFL player. While he had a couple of decent years at KC, his talent never translated to the NFL level.
[Reply]
rico 07:15 AM 04-13-2018
So Geoff Schwartz got a bunch of Donk fans riled up on Twitter a couple days ago by talking Mahomes. Funny shit...
[Reply]
Rausch 07:19 AM 04-13-2018
Thanks. This board has been quite welcoming and I've enjoyed reading many of the threads on the board.
This is the most excited I've been about any team since Joe came to KC in 93.

I was 15 then...:-)
[Reply]
BossChief 12:47 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:

We’re the same age?

I thought you were much older than me.
[Reply]
rico 04:32 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:

I thought you were a 50 year old lesbian?!?!??
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:30 PM 04-13-2018
named Brad
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:28 PM 04-13-2018
He still has a crush on the Steelers
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:07 PM 04-13-2018
Originally Posted by JDKinman:
My wife and I lived in Kansas City for three years in the mid-90's. Loved it so much I refer to it as my adopted hometown. Was a Chiefs fan way before then, however, going back to Super Bowl IV. I thought Buck Buchanan and Bobby Bell were the most dominant defensive players in the AFL.

EJ Holub was a legend and also a Texas Tech alum. I went to junior high and high school with his daughter and we were good friends. I spent a lot of time around Mr. Holub when I was in junior high and would ride my bike over to their house to hang out with Kay, his daughter. The Holubs are awesome people.

As far as the most fun player to watch on that team? Hands down for me was Ed Podolak.

I've been waiting since 1969 for the Chiefs to be a real contender again. It feels like they're finally putting it all together.

Much appreciated! We had a heckuva run this year in basketball--made it to the Elite 8 for the first time in program history. Beat KU at the Phog, which is one HELLUVA feat for any program. Contrary to the media pundits, we have a lot of genuine respect for KU basketball and hold them up as a benchmark for where we'd like to be in the near future.

Our baseball program has made the college world series twice now, and the majority of our players are also Academic All-Americans.

Football is tougher when you play in the same league as OU, Texas, TCU and Kansas State. We'll get there. Kingsbury is young, but he's where he wants to be and us older alumni are patient.

Mahomes' raw gifts and talent are other worldly and the good news is that the surface of those gifts and abilities is only now being seriously scratched. I was telling some fans at a home game in Lubbock during his last season that he was the college football version of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Who knows how good SRV would be today if he hadn't gone down in that helicopter?

Eric Clapton once said that Stevie "never got lost, never stumbled on the guitar, that the music just flowed from him. Having watched Mahomes for three years, much the same--the game and big plays seem to just flow from him. And best of all, the young man isn't even aware of it--it's just what he does on the field and how he does it.

This for most certain. As I alluded to in a previous post, Mahomes saves his swagger for the field. Off the field, he's almost shy. He is a tremendous asset to Kansas City and her surrounding towns as well as the Chiefs.

My wife and I honestly could not think of a better town and team for Pat to have gone to. Kansas City is not an arrogant city like Dallas or Philadelphia or New York. It's not flaky like Denver or San Fran or Seattle and it's not obnoxious like Boston or Oakland.

Kansas City is a working person's town where midwest roots and values still rule the day and where the community takes care of their own and does so with class and genuine empathy. Mahomes fits the town and the town fits Mahomes.

JD

I have a coworker who recently passed away who was a Red Raider alum.

He knew I was a Chiefs fan so he told me many tales of EJ Holub at Tech. He graduated a couple of years after Holub & a couple of years before Donnie Anderson. He enlightened me about Anderson at Tech too. We enjoyed many years of banter when Mizzou was in the Big 12. He was a big fan of Kingsbury & I knew about Mahomes before 99% of this forum had ever heard of him. He was my choice of QB's last year because I had become a fan of Tech because I followed Tech just to keep up with the football talk from him.

I miss those talks we used to have & miss him telling me how Mahomes was going to take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl.

Welcome Red Raider fans!
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:25 PM 04-13-2018
If you want a quick, fast slot guy on the team Coutee would be a great option.

If you want a possession receiver, look at Dylan Cantrell. He was Mahomes favorite target in high school and followed Mahomes to Tech.
https://youtu.be/XZGUi4WF1_8

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RedRaider56 06:02 AM 04-14-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
https://youtu.be/XZGUi4WF1_8

https://youtu.be/5aUuPRjGUcE

https://youtu.be/Ny1Mv8tG_Gk

https://youtu.be/iz0IVeUxNFA

https://youtu.be/BChkgIuRD48
https://www.diehards.com/texas-tech/...-arizona-state

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbpqkwx2bOw
[Reply]
JDKinman 11:16 AM 04-14-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I have a coworker who recently passed away who was a Red Raider alum.

He knew I was a Chiefs fan so he told me many tales of EJ Holub at Tech. He graduated a couple of years after Holub & a couple of years before Donnie Anderson. He enlightened me about Anderson at Tech too. We enjoyed many years of banter when Mizzou was in the Big 12. He was a big fan of Kingsbury & I knew about Mahomes before 99% of this forum had ever heard of him. He was my choice of QB's last year because I had become a fan of Tech because I followed Tech just to keep up with the football talk from him.

I miss those talks we used to have & miss him telling me how Mahomes was going to take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl.

Welcome Red Raider fans!
I used to have a chin strap autographed by Donny Anderson. It got lost somewhere in one of my PCS moves during the military. Anderson was a great college player, almost an early edition of Mahomes. He never did as well as he could at Green Bay because Lombardi's system and plays had no real "flex" or "improvisation" to them. Anderson would've flourished under a coach like Hank Stram or Al Davis or even Weeb Eubank during the Namath/Don Maynard years.

I was--and remain--a fan of Kliff Kingsbury even though the guy drives me crazy at times. I see him as a young Vince Dooley except that while Dooley enjoyed the comforts and recruiting perks of his state's flagship university, Kingsbury is competing against U-Texas, Texas A&M, TCU and Oklahoma for recruits.

Don't know if we'll ever have a national championship contender with our football program, but right now he (Kingsbury) is building a solid program and his players are graduating and there is no NCAA sniffing around our campus for violations. He does our brand proud and that's fine by me.

That's a great story about Holub.

The Tech Alum I had great hopes for in KC was James Hadnot. After watching him tear through SWC opponents while I was in college, I thought for sure he would be a great NFL player. While he had a couple of decent years at KC, his talent never translated to the NFL level.
Mr. Holub is one of the greatest people I've ever known, as are his kids. Don't know his grandkids as Kaye and I fell out of touch shortly after high school. She went to college and I went into the service.

As far as Hadnot, what a great guy and great ambassador for our school. Unfortunately, I think he peaked in college and became injury prone in the pros.

If you want a quick, fast slot guy on the team Coutee would be a great option.

If you want a possession receiver, look at Dylan Cantrell. He was Mahomes favorite target in high school and followed Mahomes to Tech.
Originally Posted by prhom:
Pat Kirwan was talking up Cantrell this afternoon on Sirius xm. I’ll have to watch some of those old games now!
Cantrell is a receiver equivalent to Mahomes in many ways. Foremost, probably, is in his uncanny ability to not only get open, but do so in a way that a scrambling quarterback can not only see, but deliver a pass to. Second, you rarely saw Cantrell drop a ball. Third, he is a fantastic blocking receiver. You don't play for Kingsbury if you can't or will not block. And fourth, the young man runs some amazingly precise routes. He reminds me of a guy from the old Baltimore Colts by the name of Raymond Berry in his work ethics and how hard he works at his routes and studying his opponents.

It would probably be too much to ask from the football gods to see Cantrell end up in Kansas City. If he does, by some miracle, I may have to buy a house up there just for weekends during the fall. :-)

JD
[Reply]
Page 725 of 2683
« First < 225625675715721722723724725 72672772872973577582512251725 > Last »
Up