ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 203 of 2683
« First < 103153193199200201202203 2042052062072132533037031203 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 04:53 PM 06-04-2017
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Hell of a listen here from a 610 podcast about the Maclin move and the dynamics of it. Chiefs fans have to give it a listen.

06/04 The Show Hr1 - Maclin, Andy,&7-Eleven
http://www.610sports.com/sites/g/fil...1%206-4-17.mp3

Talks about the fact that Maclin's release, and pretty much every move the franchise makes going forward revolves around Mahomes. Every move is about what's best for Mahomes and his development. A lot of good stuff in it and a nice overall perspective. Also discusses how Andy is showing a killer instinct lately, ala Belichick.
I now have Sunday wood.

Thank you very much!
[Reply]
New World Order 04:55 PM 06-04-2017
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Hell of a listen here from a 610 podcast about the Maclin move and the dynamics of it. Chiefs fans have to give it a listen.

06/04 The Show Hr1 - Maclin, Andy,&7-Eleven
http://www.610sports.com/sites/g/fil...1%206-4-17.mp3

Talks about the fact that Maclin's release, and pretty much every move the franchise makes going forward revolves around Mahomes. Every move is about what's best for Mahomes and his development. A lot of good stuff in it and a nice overall perspective. Also discusses how Andy is showing a killer instinct lately, ala Belichick.

Sweet mother of god

YES
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:03 PM 06-04-2017
Originally Posted by New World Order:
Sweet mother of god

YES
The times?

They are a-changin'.

:-)
[Reply]
In58men 09:20 PM 06-04-2017
I come to this thread when I'm in a bad mood. After reading a page or two I log off as the happiest guy in the world. I've been waiting years for this.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:33 AM 06-05-2017
Chiefs Provide Perfect Environment for Patrick Mahomes' Development
DOUG FARRAR

As a result, the Chiefs have had a reliable but limited quarterback situation. They can trust Smith to do what he does and nothing more. Through his four years in Kansas City, he's averaged 312 completions on 483 attempts for 3,392 yards, 19 touchdowns and seven interceptions per season, with little variance from year to year.

The system isn't exciting and has a clear ceiling, but it works for the most part. Still, you can't blame a coach for wanting to bust out of that predictable set of results, especially when they put disproportionate pressure on the defense and the running game to make up for the explosive plays Smith can't create.

Just as Harbaugh stuck with the tantalizing upside of Colin Kaepernick after Smith suffered a concussion halfway through the 2012 season, the Chiefs' need for more dynamic plays informed the decision to move up and take Mahomes, despite him having played in a college offense that hasn't produced anything close to an NFL-level quarterback.

Smith completed 15 passes of 20 or more yards in the air last season, according to Pro Football Focus, ranking 25th in the NFL. Mahomes, meanwhile, threw 15 touchdowns on passes 20 or more yards in the air for Texas Tech last year, per PFF, with 35 completions. That's why the Chiefs wanted him, and that's why they're smart to let Smith hold down the fort until Mahomes is ready to seize control.

Though the systems differ from school to school, most spread quarterbacks are accustomed to thin playbooks with simple play verbiage, stuff that's easy to spit out when you're in a no-huddle offense.

"[College spread quarterbacks] never had to say, 'Red Switch Right Closed End Right Split Z Halfback Flat' — they don't know who to talk to when and when to take a breath," Childress told Clark.

That's the common issue, but based on Mahomes' conversation with Bleacher Report in mid-April, Chiefs fans shouldn't fret too much about his ability to pick up the verbiage of Reid's offense from a complexity standpoint. When asked for the most complicated play call he had in college, he gave this back in rapid-fire fashion—not just the call, but the concept:

"Probably 'Green Rug Rock Pop 2 East Bill Log 95 Z Post B Will.' Pop is play action, and the formation is Green Rug Rock—that's the backs behind me. Rug means that the B back [second running back] is on the line of scrimmage. We have our 'Y' receiver in the game, and our 'Z' receiver, and the H-back is out [away from the formation]. 'Pop 2 East Bill Log' means that we're going to fake our outside zone to the right, with the B-back blocking in front. We're going to fake that. 'Log' means the backside tackle is going to lock on the [backside defensive] end, and '95' is our concept of the play. We tag a Z Post [the 'Z' receiver running a post route], and for the B-back, we tag a 'Will.' [the second running back blocking the weak-side linebacker]."

Mahomes will have to learn an NFL playbook, and he'll have to adjust to defenses that are far better and more complex than anything he had to deal with in college, but that's par for the course with college quarterbacks. He's coming from a no-huddle system in which he didn't go under center, and the nature of the offense he played in forced defenses to blitz infrequently and drop to cover areas of the field far more often. Mahomes seems aware of the differences, and in this environment, he's en route to the development he'll need.

But Mahomes will need to move past the tendency to freelance far too much with deep passes if he's going to be a consistent distributor in Reid's offense. His four interceptions on deep passes in 2016 tell a far more positive story than what the tape shows. Against Texas, he threw seven deep balls that could have been picked. Some almost were to varying degrees, and they certainly could have been against NFL defenders who are far more efficient and practiced at closing to (and catching) the ball.
[Reply]
Fish 09:41 AM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Smith completed 15 passes of 20 or more yards in the air last season, according to Pro Football Focus, ranking 25th in the NFL. Mahomes, meanwhile, threw 15 touchdowns on passes 20 or more yards in the air for Texas Tech last year, per PFF, with 35 completions. That's why the Chiefs wanted him, and that's why they're smart to let Smith hold down the fort until Mahomes is ready to seize control.
Fuck Smith.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:19 AM 06-05-2017
From that article, Childress and Kaepernick's college coach were hired to analyze how college offenses differ from those in the NFL and how best to ease a transition.

The Chiefs were preparing for Mahomes since 2013. Technically preparing for Derek Carr, but Andy's arrogance with Alex got in the way.

Crazy to think that the Chiefs have been preparing Mahomes 2017 development plan for so long. They are proactive as hell.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:03 PM 06-05-2017
This snippet is the perfect explanation of why it's silly to think that Deshaun Watson is any more ready to be a starting QB in the NFL than Mahomes:

Originally Posted by :
That's the common issue, but based on Mahomes' conversation with Bleacher Report in mid-April, Chiefs fans shouldn't fret too much about his ability to pick up the verbiage of Reid's offense from a complexity standpoint. When asked for the most complicated play call he had in college, he gave this back in rapid-fire fashion—not just the call, but the concept:

"Probably 'Green Rug Rock Pop 2 East Bill Log 95 Z Post B Will.' Pop is play action, and the formation is Green Rug Rock—that's the backs behind me. Rug means that the B back [second running back] is on the line of scrimmage. We have our 'Y' receiver in the game, and our 'Z' receiver, and the H-back is out [away from the formation]. 'Pop 2 East Bill Log' means that we're going to fake our outside zone to the right, with the B-back blocking in front. We're going to fake that. 'Log' means the backside tackle is going to lock on the [backside defensive] end, and '95' is our concept of the play. We tag a Z Post [the 'Z' receiver running a post route], and for the B-back, we tag a 'Will.' [the second running back blocking the weak-side linebacker]."

Mahomes will have to learn an NFL playbook, and he'll have to adjust to defenses that are far better and more complex than anything he had to deal with in college, but that's par for the course with college quarterbacks. He's coming from a no-huddle system in which he didn't go under center, and the nature of the offense he played in forced defenses to blitz infrequently and drop to cover areas of the field far more often. Mahomes seems aware of the differences, and in this environment, he's en route to the development he'll need.
What the hell did Watson ever do that gives him an edge in the mental aspect of being a pro QB? Just watch his QB camp episode. The guy has NEVER had to call plays longer than 3 goddamn words. Mahomes has, or at least he knows the concepts. Yes, Watson can learn, but his starting point is LOWER than where Mahomes is.
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:39 PM 06-05-2017
I can't wait to see 2PM run out of the tunnel at Arrowhead as starting QB of the 2018 Kansas City Chiefs!!
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 07:12 PM 06-05-2017
Great stuff.

Gawt DAMN I love reading about the Chiefs again!

I love the way these authors feel the need to give us a disclaimer for Mahome's intelligence:

"Mahomes has never run an offense like Andy Reid's, but don't worry folks; HE'S NOT A COMPLETE MORON"!
Jeebus...
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:37 PM 06-05-2017
I had not seen this before, maybe you all have but anyway. Its nice.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:41 PM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Its nice.
Please no leftie passes.

[Reply]
Dave Lane 09:56 PM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
You DO realize that I did NOT want Murray to start, yes?

Eh, who cares. A young stud QB will soon be running this offense after learning whatever valuable information he may get from Smith before Reid tosses him in to the garbage heap Kap-style.
I hope Andy wipes his ass after burrito night on Smiths jersey before he tosses it in his bag.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 11:14 PM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
I hope Andy wipes his ass after burrito night on Smiths jersey before he tosses it in his bag.
[Reply]
penbrook 09:14 AM 06-07-2017
Per Tim Krasovic

Chiefs rookie QB Pat Mahomes comes off as an all-in type. Working w/youth QBs in Coronado this past weekend, he was attentive, patient.
[Reply]
Page 203 of 2683
« First < 103153193199200201202203 2042052062072132533037031203 > Last »
Up