ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 93 of 94
« First < 43838990919293 94 >
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:44 AM 02-13-2024
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
It's a show that can't really figure out what it wants to be. If you want to make it about ghosts and a crazy murder(?) and mysterious videos of people being killed then you have to go all in and focus on that. If you want it to be less about the murder and more about the characters like season 1, then focus on that. Instead we have neither. There's been very little actual detective work, and most of it that has been done centers in on a murder that wasn't even the original one we see in episode 1 anyway.

I still have no idea what they could possibly find in these caves that will explain anything. The leader of the mining company saying "they can't get in those caves at all costs" was just really funny to me. Like the original murder they are investigating and maybe happened there was years ago. If you are part of some vast corporate coverup, you've had plenty of time to clean things up.

I guess the only explanation that makes sense is they are going to find out in the caves that there is some kind of chemical that is getting into the water and it causes some people to have hallucinations and go crazy and that's what happened in the original murder and the scientists at the station were trying to find a cure or something for it but it ended up getting them.
This would be unbelievably dumb; just a little less so than someone "waking up and it was all a dream". This is basically the plot from Zootopia.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:24 PM 02-13-2024
Woof they’ve checking all boxes except cohesive story, realistic timelines and rooting cause
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:35 PM 02-18-2024
Not a great season. But I think at least it ended in a way that didn’t involve fantasy and was more cohesive. Just wish episodes 2-5 didn’t veer off course as they did.

RIP True Detective. Season 1 was the apex of TV and 3 kept the dream alive.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:06 AM 02-19-2024
I really liked it. Certainly better than season 2 and it seemed to have purpose even outside of the main characters. I bet if the main characters were men more people would have liked it. It had a great unique location where you get a great feel of the local culture, a staple of True Detective past seasons.
[Reply]
|Zach| 02:31 AM 02-19-2024
Enjoyed it overall. Wrapped up nicely.
[Reply]
|Zach| 02:32 AM 02-19-2024
It's a show that can't really figure out what it wants to be. If you want to make it about ghosts and a crazy murder(?) and mysterious videos of people being killed then you have to go all in and focus on that. If you want it to be less about the murder and more about the characters like season 1, then focus on that. Instead we have neither. There's been very little actual detective work, and most of it that has been done centers in on a murder that wasn't even the original one we see in episode 1 anyway.
I guess I do not really understand why something has to be so rigidly set in these lanes you set up to be good.

Mysterious possibly supernatural things being explained by a more realistic series of events feels like a pretty well worn path that a lot of good movies\shows have followed.
[Reply]
ChiTown 01:10 PM 02-19-2024
I felt like I wandered through the desert, aimlessly, for the first 4 episodes. I mean, I had no idea what they were doing or why they were doing it. Then, out of nowhere, they decide to get some focus and purpose in the final 2 episodes - which were REALLY damn good, IMO. Last night's episode (and really E5 as well) was fantastic, and what I had hoped for the whole series.

I may have to go back and rewatch in another 6 mos or so to see if I can pick up some things I missed.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 04:57 PM 02-19-2024
The initial scene of the last episode, where they are in the ice caves really triggered the claustrophobia I sometimes deal with. Perhaps amplified by something I took. I had to turn it off and wait until the next day to be able to watch the episode. ...but that's just me and my neurosis.

I enjoyed the story. I give it a solid B.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 07:10 PM 02-19-2024
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
I guess I do not really understand why something has to be so rigidly set in these lanes you set up to be good.

Mysterious possibly supernatural things being explained by a more realistic series of events feels like a pretty well worn path that a lot of good movies\shows have followed.
While I agree with you that generally this is possible, in this case it lead to having really weak plot lines that were a waste of time and diluted the show. Pete and his wife is a good example. She gets super upset with him for working really hard for a few days and suddenly this is basically grounds for divorce? Not even acknowledging, you know, the huge unsolved murder that might be a little more important than your test, which is right at Christmas for some reason. And of course in the last episode she kisses him and all is forgiven...?

Spoiler!

[Reply]
smith11 01:39 AM 02-20-2024
While I agree with you that generally this is possible, in this case it lead to having really weak plot lines that were a waste of time and diluted the show. Pete and his wife is a good example. She gets super upset with him for working really hard for a few days and suddenly this is basically grounds for divorce? Not even acknowledging, you know, the huge unsolved murder that might be a little more important than your test, which is right at Christmas for some reason. And of course in the last episode she kisses him and all is forgiven...?

Spoiler!
given this show came from HBO I think the message was that vigilante justice is ok if you're killing white guys i.e Navarro and the lady janitors...
[Reply]
Fish 11:57 AM 02-20-2024
Ending was kinda meh. Overall it wasn't great, but it wasn't super bad either.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TinyEvel 12:27 PM 02-20-2024
(scrolled past the spoilers) we just watched up through episode 4. so far pretty boring and all over the place.

Still trying to wrap my head around Jodie Foster sleeping with all the men in town.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:48 PM 02-20-2024
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
(scrolled past the spoilers) we just watched up through episode 4. so far pretty boring and all over the place.

Still trying to wrap my head around Jodie Foster sleeping with all the men in town.
Hottest chick in town obviously.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 02:44 PM 02-20-2024
Just another generic detective show. Bummer
[Reply]
BWillie 03:11 PM 02-20-2024
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
Just another generic detective show. Bummer
See alot of detective shows in Northern Alaska do ya?

Ill take any over a super hero show.
[Reply]
Page 93 of 94
« First < 43838990919293 94 >
Up