ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Offensive Line Musings
Redbled 07:28 PM 10-25-2020
I realize we are only looking at a small sample size but the line we played with the past two weeks seems much better at run production and pretty poor at pass protection. With Mahomes we have always seemed to value the latter. I love having some balance but I’m not interested in getting Mahomes hit like he did today. Is it possible that more time to gel will help these new guys when they aren’t just meant to be road graders?
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 10:53 PM 10-25-2020
Until they each get a TD. Patrick will have to duck and dive
[Reply]
cdcox 11:23 PM 10-25-2020
CEH definitely got hit in the back on a hot route. And on the first sack, Patrick wanted to go to Bell but he wasn't looking for it. Chubb was definitely in the way, but Patrick probably bends the ball around Chubb if Bell was looking for it.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:41 AM 10-26-2020
So...

while we're musing on the offensive line, I'm seeing some changes in real time in philosophy.

It may just be adjusting to the skill sets of the replacement guys, but it seems to me that it goes further back than that, and the fact that they signed Osemele was to me a big signal of change. Now maybe it's LDT opting out and the injuries, but I am seeing a lot less of the usual Reid razzle dazzle up front and a lot more downhill blocking.

Reid has always favored lighter, quicker, smarter linemen, lots of movement, lots of pulling and trapping and misdirection.

The benefits are obvious, but so are the weaknesses; we've always had issues in short yardage and goal-line.

It looks to me like Reid has decided to say fuck it. Let's put some maulers in there and just get after it. I'm seeing a lot less of the Reid razzle-dazzle up front. Still plenty in the backfield pre-snap, but not so much up front after the snap.
[Reply]
dj56dt58 09:48 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
I could be wrong on CEH but I thought he didn't turn around to look for the ball and thought that Chris Collinsworth even made reference to it. Could be wrong though
I recall Bell not turning around fast enough leading to a sack. Mahomes was looking to throw it and honestly probably still could have and Bell would have found it and probably made the catch
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:49 AM 10-26-2020
Run blocking is easier than pass blocking.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:50 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
So...

while we're musing on the offensive line, I'm seeing some changes in real time in philosophy.

It may just be adjusting to the skill sets of the replacement guys, but it seems to me that it goes further back than that, and the fact that they signed Osemele was to me a big signal of change. Now maybe it's LDT opting out and the injuries, but I am seeing a lot less of the usual Reid razzle dazzle up front and a lot more downhill blocking.

Reid has always favored lighter, quicker, smarter linemen, lots of movement, lots of pulling and trapping and misdirection.

The benefits are obvious, but so are the weaknesses; we've always had issues in short yardage and goal-line.

It looks to me like Reid has decided to say fuck it. Let's put some maulers in there and just get after it. I'm seeing a lot less of the Reid razzle-dazzle up front. Still plenty in the backfield pre-snap, but not so much up front after the snap.
There's a thread about this in the Draft forum. It's actually an astute observation and something that bears watching going forward.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 09:51 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by dj56dt58:
I recall Bell not turning around fast enough leading to a sack. Mahomes was looking to throw it and honestly probably still could have and Bell would have found it and probably made the catch
perhaps it was Bell and not CEH in that instance
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:16 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Run blocking is easier than pass blocking.
since we put in Kilgore and Alegretti, the offensive line hasn't really shown a deficiency in pass blocking. Shitty weather and committing to running the ball as well as defenses dropping 7 and 8 into coverage are the reasons for the offensive shift the last two weeks.

Before you start jumping up and down about how I'm an idiot-

Chubb coming unblocked was not an offensive line problem. Fisher blocked the inside man, which is exactly what he's supposed to do.

Reiter got beat constantly, and though they have said he had an injury, he's been shitty for two years.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:23 AM 10-26-2020
For the most part the OL didn't really look all that bad. It seems like the Chubb sacks were miscommunication of some sort, but not really the OL just getting beat. The run blocking seems to have improved, and for the most part they're holding up in pass protection. Get the miscommunication issues figured out and I think this OL is capable enough, especially if Schwartz comes back healthy.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:27 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
For the most part the OL didn't really look all that bad. It seems like the Chubb sacks were miscommunication of some sort, but not really the OL just getting beat. The run blocking seems to have improved, and for the most part they're holding up in pass protection. Get the miscommunication issues figured out and I think this OL is capable enough, especially if Schwartz comes back healthy.
I think it had a lot to do with one running back who's a rookie, and one who's been on the roster for a week not picking up the blitz and/or hot read.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:27 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think it had a lot to do with one running back who's a rookie, and one who's been on the roster for a week not picking up the blitz and/or hot read.
Yep.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:30 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
There's a thread about this in the Draft forum. It's actually an astute observation and something that bears watching going forward.
and im ok with it as long as we are winning. The Chiefs keep proving they can beat a team in a variety of ways now. and honestly, theres no reason to get complicated against a team like Denver. Keep it simple.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up