ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2792 of 3903
« First < 1792229226922742278227882789279027912792 279327942795279628022842289232923792 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 03:27 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Coronavirus: Why everyone was wrong
The immune response to the virus is stronger than everyone thought

The original article was published in the Swiss magazine Weltwoche (World Week) on June 10th. The author, Beda M Stadler is the former director of the Institute for Immunology at the University of Bern, a biologist and professor emeritus.

The fairy tale of no immunity

From the World Health Organisation (WHO) to every Facebook-virologist, everyone claimed this virus was particularly dangerous, because there was no immunity against it, because it was a novel virus. Even Anthony Fauci, the most important advisor to the Trump administration noted at the beginning at every public appearance that the danger of the virus lay in the fact that there was no immunity against it. Tony and I often sat next to each other at immunology seminars at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda in the US, because we worked in related fields back then. So for a while I was pretty uncritical of his statements, since he was a respectable colleague of mine. The penny dropped only when I realised that the first commercially available antibody test [for Sars-CoV-2] was put together from an old antibody test that was meant to detect Sars-1.

For every other disease that doesn’t afflict a certain group of people, we would come to the conclusion that that group is immune. When people are sadly dying in a retirement home, but in the same place other pensioners with the same risk factors are left entirely unharmed, we should also conclude that they were presumably immune.

But this common sense seems to have eluded many, let’s call them “immunity deniers” just for fun. This new breed of deniers had to observe that the majority of people who tested positive for this virus, i.e. the virus was present in their throats, did not get sick. The term “silent carriers” was conjured out of a hat and it was claimed that one could be sick without having symptoms. Wouldn’t that be something!

https://medium.com/@vernunftundricht...g-fce6db5ba809
Seems legit...

So: Sars-Cov-2 isn’t all that new, but merely a seasonal cold virus that mutated and disappears in summer, as all cold viruses do — which is what we’re observing globally right now.
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:29 PM 08-06-2020
Covid will disappear in summer? Sweet! When does summer start?
[Reply]
Donger 03:30 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Which hemisphere?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:31 PM 08-06-2020
A part of the immune system that appears to be suppressed in severe COVID-19 cases is now being used in a clinical trial against the infectious disease at the University of Minnesota.

A female COVID-19 patient in her 50s received an infusion on Wednesday with an experimental therapy containing natural killer (NK) cells, innate components of the immune system that can wipe out tumors or infected cells.

“They attack sick cells, and when we say sick that typically means malignant or virally infected cells,” said Dr. Joshua Rhein, the U physician leading the trial.

The U’s work with NK cells until now has primarily been in the development of therapies for leukemia and other cancers. The COVID-19 trial is using an experimental therapy called FT516, which is manufactured by Fate Therapeutics and was developed through U research.

U researchers have spent months planning the COVID-19 clinical trial and gaining the signoff of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, said Dr. Jeffrey Miller, deputy director of the U’s Masonic Cancer Center and a national leader in NK cell research.

Given that many cases of severe COVID-19 involve inflammation and an overreaction by the immune system, there is concern about using a therapy that boosts the immune system, Rhein said. On the other hand, NK cells have antiviral properties. And research in China showed a suppression of NK cells in severe COVID-19 patients, suggesting they are not part of the immune system overreaction and could instead be a solution.

“We think that the cells are going to help as an antiviral,” Rhein said, “but there’s that possibility that somebody who is headed toward that inflammation type of picture — the worry was that we could push them over the edge.”

Researchers are seeking patients who have been hospitalized for COVID-19 and have biomarkers that suggest they are at risk for such an immune system overreaction — but haven’t suffered it yet. Infusions are happening one patient at a time to monitor the outcomes, with doses increasing in subsequent patients.

The NK study is the latest in an aggressive response by the U to the COVID-19 pandemic. U researchers launched the first double-blinded, placebo-controlled trials of hydroxychloroquine, ultimately determining that it did not prevent the onset of COVID-19 or the development of symptoms in people exposed to the virus. The U also was part of the national study of remdesivir, an antiviral that has been federally approved for treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:33 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Seems legit...

So: Sars-Cov-2 isn’t all that new, but merely a seasonal cold virus that mutated and disappears in summer, as all cold viruses do — which is what we’re observing globally right now.
The Phoenix heat seemed to spike it here.

Neat.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:36 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:

I think this is based on the work of Hope-Simpson. New York, UK, Sweden would be now fine...while Texas, California, Arizona are in a different climate zone.
[Reply]
jdubya 03:37 PM 08-06-2020
Our "spike" in my county in NorCal seemed to be solely from LTCF`s.
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:41 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I think this is based on the work of Hope-Simpson. New York, UK, Sweden would be now fine...while Texas, California, Arizona are in a different climate zone.
I agree that with reasonable social distancing and not including places where it's so hot that people spend 95% of their time indoors in AC, the virus should be struggling in summer.

There are several studies that show the virus doesn't do well in heat and humidity.

I've also read experts who think that in winter - going from cold/dry air outside to hot/dry heated air inside causes our mucus membranes to be much more vulnerable to infection, and possibly leads to more severe infections.

However we gave up on reasonable social distancing in a lot of places. And more importantly, we use far more AC than anywhere else in the world. There aren't that many other hot/humid 1st world countries.

At least in a month the AC use should drop dramatically.
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:43 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
The Phoenix heat seemed to spike it here.

Neat.
You mean when you could literally die if you're outside for more than an hour?
[Reply]
petegz28 03:55 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Our "spike" in my county in NorCal seemed to be solely from LTCF`s.
I have heard several say that the heat drove people indoors into the AC where the virus actually spread. But that would require understanding that people tend to go inside into the AC when it is very hot outside. I am not sure I can believe such a thing.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:58 PM 08-06-2020
I lived in Tucson, Arizona for a few years. Yes, it feels like a different planet than New York.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:16 PM 08-06-2020
Fauci: U.S. doesn't need another lockdown to survive coronavirus

'You don't have to lock down again, but everybody has got to be on board,' said White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci.

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...ol-coronavirus
[Reply]
petegz28 04:18 PM 08-06-2020
Barring a late day surge it looks like we will come in at least a few hundred deaths fewer than last Thursday.
[Reply]
RunKC 06:21 PM 08-06-2020
Just got my test. Negative. Also negative for strep. Hmmm maybe Laryngitis
[Reply]
TLO 06:44 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Barring a late day surge it looks like we will come in at least a few hundred deaths fewer than last Thursday.
1465 a week ago
1179 today.

Cases are down too.
[Reply]
Page 2792 of 3903
« First < 1792229226922742278227882789279027912792 279327942795279628022842289232923792 > Last »
Up