ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2791 of 3903
« First < 1791229126912741278127872788278927902791 279227932794279528012841289132913791 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 10:49 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Yep it seems to be random on who it affects which makes me think there is some immunity, genetics, blood types that offer some protection.

The only other thing I could think of is she wasn't wearing much PPE back in March and maybe got it early and the antibodies are now gone so the tests can't detect it. I don't know much about these antibody tests to say either way though.
Antibody tests are super unreliable. Especially with false negatives. Also people with no or mild symptoms often don't develop detectable antibodies.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:26 AM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Ebolapox:
I'm a geneticist. I tell students on one of the first relevant lessons that we have 20-25000 different genes. I don't even get to isoforms (same protein, different structure b/c of exon splicing differences). there are over 250 different genes that cause old-age blindness (retinitis pignemtosa: overly simplified, most are old age... some young age). over 1500 that control neurological function (likely more than that with snRNAs and other small RNA species that we barely or don't understand now--all are likely dealing with protein control of some sort, or maybe epigentic stuff that's nuts).

we're incredibly complex and have hundreds of thousands of moving parts (I didn't even get to how our environment comes into play, except kinds: epigenetics). it's not a shocker that something unprecedented like this has many facets and is the ultimate moving target.
The human body can be extremely resilient and fragile all at the same time.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:43 AM 08-06-2020
Interesting attempt to measure true number of infections using cases and positivity rate:
https://covid19-projections.com/esti...ue-infections/

Originally Posted by :
Knowing the true number of people who are infected with COVID-19 in the US is an essential step towards understanding the disease. But estimating this number is not a simple task. The true number of infections is many times greater than the reported number of cases in the US because the majority of infected individuals do not get tested due to several reasons: 1) they are asymptomatic, 2) they are only mildly symptomatic, 3) they do not have easy access to testing, or 4) they simply do not want to.

On this page, we introduce a simple square root function to estimate the true prevalence of COVID-19 in a region based on only the confirmed cases and test positivity rate: true-new-daily-infections = daily-confirmed-cases * (16 * (positivity-rate)^(0.5) + 2.5). We will also introduce the implied infection fatality rate (IIFR), which is a metric derived by taking a region’s reported deaths and dividing it by the true infections estimate (after accounting for lag).

Using this method, we estimate that the true number of new infections peaked at close to 500,000 new infections per day in July, compared to 300,000 new infections per day in March. This means that the peak of infections after reopening is 60% higher than the initial peak in March. In total, by the end of July 2020, we estimate over 35 million (1 in 10) Americans have been infected at some point by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Originally Posted by :
Once we have a reasonable estimate of the true number of newly infected individuals per day, we can use the reported deaths to compute the implied infection fatality rate (IFFR). The IIFR for the US was above 1% in March, stabilized at around 0.6% in April-May before decreasing to ~0.25% in July. Note that our IIFR estimate does not take into account excess/unreported COVID-19 deaths, so it is likely a lower bound for the true IFR. This is further explained below.
This meshes with everything else I've been reading. Of course the main driver of IFR decreasing is younger/healthier people getting it while older/at-risk people isolate much better than they were back in Feb/March.

Originally Posted by :
Note that our use of the term infection fatality rate (IFR) refers to true deaths divided by true infections. It is not age-adjusted. As a result, if there is an increasing prevalence of the disease in a younger population, then the IFR will decrease, despite the deadliness of the virus remaining unchanged among a particular age group. It is likely that the fatality rate for a given age group have not changed significantly.
Better treatment is helping too.
[Reply]
O.city 01:32 PM 08-06-2020
The more we go along with this the more a lot of our moves and things we’re doing are more “illusion of control” vs actually doing any good
[Reply]
sedated 01:36 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by Ebolapox:
I'm a geneticist. I tell students on one of the first relevant lessons that we have 20-25000 different genes. I don't even get to isoforms (same protein, different structure b/c of exon splicing differences). there are over 250 different genes that cause old-age blindness (retinitis pignemtosa: overly simplified, most are old age... some young age). over 1500 that control neurological function (likely more than that with snRNAs and other small RNA species that we barely or don't understand now--all are likely dealing with protein control of some sort, or maybe epigentic stuff that's nuts).

we're incredibly complex and have hundreds of thousands of moving parts (I didn't even get to how our environment comes into play, except kinds: epigenetics). it's not a shocker that something unprecedented like this has many facets and is the ultimate moving target.
And here I thought it was just that the medical professionals are all dumbasses who either don't know shit, or are lying (/sarcasm)
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:45 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The more we go along with this the more a lot of our moves and things we’re doing are more “illusion of control” vs actually doing any good

[Reply]
petegz28 01:50 PM 08-06-2020
Want irony? KS said today that the counties that adopted the mask mandate have see a dramatic drop in cases and the counties that did not have not see any drop. The data might suggest otherwise as there was a rise in cases in JoCo though we adopted the mask mandate. In fact cases were going up so mucin the state that last week the Governor threatened to lock us down again. Now everywhere I go I see almost everyone wearing a mask. But everyone I know that lives around me swears no one wears a mask wherever they go.
[Reply]
O.city 02:08 PM 08-06-2020
https://twitter.com/bogochisaac/stat...560084480?s=21

This study saying only about 20% truly asymptomatic
[Reply]
KS Smitty 02:09 PM 08-06-2020
Pottawatomie and Wabaunsee Counties both held their County Fairs with "limited activities" the last week of July. Yesterday the Wab.Co. Health Department issued this:

August 05, 2020
For Immediate Release:
Anyone who attended the Wabaunsee County Fair, July 24th- 27th, and/or fair activities should monitor themselves for COVID symptoms. An individual(s) who attended the fair and accompanying activities, including the rodeo, lawn chair concert, parade, and feed, has tested positive.....

We don't have protests we have county fairs.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:12 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
Pottawatomie and Wabaunsee Counties both held their County Fairs with "limited activities" the last week of July. Yesterday the Wab.Co. Health Department issued this:

August 05, 2020
For Immediate Release:
Anyone who attended the Wabaunsee County Fair, July 24th- 27th, and/or fair activities should monitor themselves for COVID symptoms. An individual(s) who attended the fair and accompanying activities, including the rodeo, lawn chair concert, parade, and feed, has tested positive.....

We don't have protests we have county fairs.
See, that's the problem. If you tear shit down with fire you scare the Rona away. Also we now have evidence that if you attend a funeral for a politician you can assume you are Rona-free.

See, you need to pick and choose your activities accordingly.
[Reply]
loochy 02:13 PM 08-06-2020
https://twitter.com/bogochisaac/stat...560084480?s=21

This study saying only about 20% truly asymptomatic
If you can't even tell that you are sick then you are asymptomatic
[Reply]
petegz28 02:16 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
If you can't even tell that you are sick then you are asymptomatic
I agree. And that means even if you think your allergies are acting up. I don't know where they draw the line of asymptomatic vs. symptoms so mild you chalk it up to something other than being sick but you still have symptoms?
[Reply]
TLO 02:27 PM 08-06-2020
The IHME model updated again today out through December 1st. It's upping its projections big time.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:37 PM 08-06-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The IHME model updated again today out through December 1st. It's upping it's projections big time.
Of course it is. School is going to kill everyone!
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 03:22 PM 08-06-2020
Coronavirus: Why everyone was wrong
The immune response to the virus is stronger than everyone thought

The original article was published in the Swiss magazine Weltwoche (World Week) on June 10th. The author, Beda M Stadler is the former director of the Institute for Immunology at the University of Bern, a biologist and professor emeritus.

The fairy tale of no immunity

From the World Health Organisation (WHO) to every Facebook-virologist, everyone claimed this virus was particularly dangerous, because there was no immunity against it, because it was a novel virus. Even Anthony Fauci, the most important advisor to the Trump administration noted at the beginning at every public appearance that the danger of the virus lay in the fact that there was no immunity against it. Tony and I often sat next to each other at immunology seminars at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda in the US, because we worked in related fields back then. So for a while I was pretty uncritical of his statements, since he was a respectable colleague of mine. The penny dropped only when I realised that the first commercially available antibody test [for Sars-CoV-2] was put together from an old antibody test that was meant to detect Sars-1.

For every other disease that doesn’t afflict a certain group of people, we would come to the conclusion that that group is immune. When people are sadly dying in a retirement home, but in the same place other pensioners with the same risk factors are left entirely unharmed, we should also conclude that they were presumably immune.

But this common sense seems to have eluded many, let’s call them “immunity deniers” just for fun. This new breed of deniers had to observe that the majority of people who tested positive for this virus, i.e. the virus was present in their throats, did not get sick. The term “silent carriers” was conjured out of a hat and it was claimed that one could be sick without having symptoms. Wouldn’t that be something!

https://medium.com/@vernunftundricht...g-fce6db5ba809
[Reply]
Page 2791 of 3903
« First < 1791229126912741278127872788278927902791 279227932794279528012841289132913791 > Last »
Up