ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2368 of 3903
« First < 1368186822682318235823642365236623672368 236923702371237223782418246828683368 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bob Dole 02:47 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
What's ridiculous about it? WITH MITIGATION, we've already lost 120,000, right in the estimate range. So, since that was accurate, why do you think the estimate without mitigation was/is not?

Of course, we'll never know for certain, because thankfully mitigation efforts were taken.

Number of test given is widely reported, so I don;t know where you're getting that.
There is zero proof that all this mitigation did anything vis-à-vis the virus. It is 100% speculation. There is ample evidence it had other effects, though.

I have yet to see a report touting "DAILY RECORD FOR POSITIVE COVID-19 CASES" that mentions whether it was also a record day for tests administered.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 02:54 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
There is zero proof that all this mitigation did anything vis-à-vis the virus. It is 100% speculation. There is ample evidence it had other effects, though.
Yes. It's a shame that covid only struck America and there are no other countries that we can look at to see which strategies worked and which didn't.
[Reply]
Donger 02:54 PM 06-20-2020

I have yet to see a report touting "DAILY RECORD FOR POSITIVE COVID-19 CASES" that mentions whether it was also a record day for tests administered.
You must be joking... You actually think that we would have "only" 2,200,000 cases and 120,000 deaths if we hadn't mitigated? You do realize that this is spread by humans, yes?
[Reply]
petegz28 02:57 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
I’ve yet to read anything about number of test given in this thread?might have missed it I guess
As of now there have been 27,782,538 tests given.
As of now we have a total of 2.3m cases
As of now we have 1.7m active cases

It would be nice to see a breakdown of the total cases on asymptomatic, symptomatic, mild, severe, etc.
[Reply]
Three7s 03:04 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
As of now there have been 27,782,538 tests given.
As of now we have a total of 2.3m cases
As of now we have 1.7m active cases

It would be nice to see a breakdown of the total cases on asymptomatic, symptomatic, mild, severe, etc.
Thanks to the increased testing, both in the US and worldwide, it is pretty easy to see the difference in the serious cases compared to the non-serious cases. According to worldometers, serious cases of covid-19 make up about 1% of all current active cases. I can't speak for how many serious cases are in the US, but when there are millions of cases going on worldwide, yet only 1% of them are serious, it just proves that most positive tests really aren't that big of deal. This really shows in the death rate too. I think this has always been the case, but since hospitals were so strict with testing in the beginning, we really couldn't get a feel for it.
[Reply]
tk13 03:05 PM 06-20-2020

Zero proof? That's not accurate. We are not the only country in the world, so we have plenty of examples out there of ways to mitigate and strategies that have failed.

Just to be clear, those numbers are out there. And they get reported on. A lot of times people make statements like that and just haven't looked hard enough.

That's why people have been concerned about places like Texas and Arizona. They aren't just having more cases, their positive test rates aren't going down... in many cases they're going up.

Even more importantly, hospital rates are going up. If more people are getting sick enough to go to the hospital over it, that's what's happening. I don't know how that's a debatable fact. The cases/testing thing doesn't even matter. If there are more people in the hospital with COVID than back in March, then it's pretty safe to guess there's something going on there.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:09 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Zero proof? That's not accurate. We are not the only country in the world, so we have plenty of examples out there of ways to mitigate and strategies that have failed.

Just to be clear, those numbers are out there. And they get reported on. A lot of times people make statements like that and just haven't looked hard enough.

That's why people have been concerned about places like Texas and Arizona. They aren't just having more cases, their positive test rates aren't going down... in many cases they're going up.

Even more importantly, hospital rates are going up. If more people are getting sick enough to go to the hospital over it, that's what's happening. I don't know how that's a debatable fact. The cases/testing thing doesn't even matter. If there are more people in the hospital with COVID than back in March, then it's pretty safe to guess there's something going on there.
You left out CA for some reason.
[Reply]
TLO 03:12 PM 06-20-2020
One of the things I've noticed about Missouri is that total number of cases per day seems to be going up, but cumulative % of positive tests has stayed the same or dropped slightly.
[Reply]
tk13 03:12 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
You left out CA for some reason.
What? There are plenty of states going in the right direction, and even seeing cases go down. There are other states that are not going in the right direction. That's how it was always going to be.

I don't think that 120,000 deaths later the whole thing was just a big hoax like you do though, no.
[Reply]
TLO 03:13 PM 06-20-2020
It has actually dropped in recent days despite more tests coming back positive. 5.5% currently. At one point we were at like 10%
[Reply]
stumppy 03:18 PM 06-20-2020
One of the mods needs to change the name of the damn thread to Groundhog Day.
[Reply]
Donger 03:20 PM 06-20-2020
"We're done with the pandemic!!!"

Well, the pandemic's not done with us...
[Reply]
Eleazar 03:21 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
It has actually dropped in recent days despite more tests coming back positive. 5.5% currently. At one point we were at like 10%
There are tons of reasons why the positivity rate might fluctuate that have nothing to do with the true infection rate.

The only measures that really matter are hospital beds in use, ICU beds in use, ventilators in use, etc.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:24 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
One of the things I've noticed about Missouri is that total number of cases per day seems to be going up, but cumulative % of positive tests has stayed the same or dropped slightly.
When you cherry picked Texas and Arizona I was saying you also left out CA for some reason.

One can only infer that you picked those two states because of their more lenient approach on re-opening. I thought it necessary to point out that CA who has been rather strict is also having similar problems. Kudos to the closing straw man you threw out there as well.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:26 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
There are tons of reasons why the positivity rate might fluctuate that have nothing to do with the true infection rate.

The only measures that really matter are hospital beds in use, ICU beds in use, ventilators in use, etc.
Yes, those matter but we have clearly moved from deaths to the metrics you mentioned so there is something to say for that.
[Reply]
Page 2368 of 3903
« First < 1368186822682318235823642365236623672368 236923702371237223782418246828683368 > Last »
Up