ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Media Center>2019 Black Friday Thread
Sofa King 08:03 PM 10-30-2019
We started one of these yet? If not, here it is.

What all are we looking for? Nintendo Switch deals? Gun Safe deals? Been seeing some ads rolling around.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:41 PM 11-23-2019
I was in Walmart this afternoon. In the electronics aisle they had a 70" Vizio 4K LED TV for $698. Also PS 4 bundled with 3 games for $199. Others are selling the PS but not until Thursday. I got a flyer in the mail from Belks the clothing store, and they were advertising the PS combo available Thur - Saturday.

I've never played videos games since Pacman. I loved that game in the early 80's, got really good at it, would often score over 100,000. Eventually I stopped playing and have never looked at PS or Xbox. I think if I owned one, I would be more interested in something like flying an airplane. Do any of you think a novice pushing 70 years old would be kept amused with a PS, I would probably need games that I can play alone.

Sony PlayStation 4 1TB Only on PlayStation PS4 Console Bundle, Black
Average rating:3.9out of5stars, based on8reviews8 reviews
SonyWalmart # 577762969Teen
$199.00 List WAS $299.99

[Reply]
jd1020 08:53 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
If you have a Microcenter near by, go there instead of Amazon.
I live about 90 mins away from a Microcenter but most of their deals are being matched right now outside of the bundle deals and the $30 savings isnt worth the 3 hour round trip, plus they charge way more tax than Newegg.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:00 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I live about 90 mins away from a Microcenter but most of their deals are being matched right now outside of the bundle deals and the $30 savings isnt worth the 3 hour round trip, plus they charge way more tax than Newegg.
I wouldn't trust Newegg anymore. They've been way too loose with information over the years.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:12 PM 11-23-2019
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019...station-store/

Huge list of games on sale.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:14 PM 11-23-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I was in Walmart this afternoon. In the electronics aisle they had a 70" Vizio 4K LED TV for $698. Also PS 4 bundled with 3 games for $199. Others are selling the PS but not until Thursday. I got a flyer in the mail from Belks the clothing store, and they were advertising the PS combo available Thur - Saturday.

I've never played videos games since Pacman. I loved that game in the early 80's, got really good at it, would often score over 100,000. Eventually I stopped playing and have never looked at PS or Xbox. I think if I owned one, I would be more interested in something like flying an airplane. Do any of you think a novice pushing 70 years old would be kept amused with a PS, I would probably need games that I can play alone.

$199.00 List WAS $299.99
Never too old to try. Just depends on what kind of games you would like. Watch some gameplay on youtube before you decide what to get. Nintendo switch might have an easier learning curve.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:54 AM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Never too old to try. Just depends on what kind of games you would like. Watch some gameplay on youtube before you decide what to get. Nintendo switch might have an easier learning curve.
I didn't think about looking at youtube, I should of since I always check stuff out on youtube.

BTW, I saw in the Sunday morning flyer, Target has a 70" LG 4K Smart TV for $649.
[Reply]
Skyy God 06:38 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:

$199.00 List WAS $299.99
Those games are all dope.
[Reply]
-King- 12:38 AM 11-25-2019
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
58' Roku Onn TV Walmart for $198

https://bestblackfriday.com/ads/walm...page-3#ad_view
How limited are Cyber Monday deals? Cause I will definitely buy that 65inch if I don't have to be online right at 12:00am in order to get it before it sells out.
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:23 AM 11-25-2019
I've pretty much just crossed off Samsung drives from my list. They are good drives but the premium they slap on them for all of the added marketing just isn't worth it to me.

That 660p deal could be ok but you can get TLC drives for that price.

That HP EX950 looks solid on paper but I have PTSD from past HP experiences and 2 TB is more $$ than I want to spend on something thats going to amount to maybe a couple millisecond differences in what I'll be using it for. Even a SATA drive is more speed than I will ever need.

I'm really just hoping the 500GB ADATA drive drops down below $50 somewhere on a flash sale and pair it with a 1TB Vulcan/MX500/SU800 SATA drive. The Vulcan drive is what Amazon lost in shipping that I bought on sale which I'm kind of salty about.
What are the read and write speeds on a TLC drive? I thought it was only about a quarter of what the 660p is claiming it could get? Why would you even compare the two? In addition, that Samsung drive has almost double the read write speeds of the 660p and that is why you pay the premium price. I am all about performance and not necessarily the cheapest.
[Reply]
jd1020 06:31 AM 11-25-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
What are the read and write speeds on a TLC drive? I thought it was only about a quarter of what the 660p is claiming it could get? Why would you even compare the two? But I could be wrong.
You are probably confusing the 660p with Intel Optane.

The 660p is slower than most consumer NVMe drives. It uses QLC NAND which is the slowest, least endurance, and bogs down at like 3/4 max capacity of the drive, but it's the cheapest. So it still has it's purpose as it's faster than SATA and you can get a lot of it for less, but it's just not something I'm interested in, especially when the sales on it arent all that great comparatively.

I would just never buy a 660p when its within $10 in price, sales excluded, of drives like the PNY CS3030, HP EX920, HP EX950, SP A80, Sabrent Rocket, or SX8200 Pro.

Compare the speeds of a Samsung 970 EVO Plus to the Sabrent Rocket or SX8200 Pro and tell me why you would ever spend the premium on the Samsung drive? Unless you really love Samsung Magician or feel like you need an insanely long warranty, the Samsung is just a shit buy, imo.

EDIT: Nevermind, Samsung doesn't even offer the 10 year warranty on their Pro model NVMe's like they did their SATA drives so their warranty isn't even better than the competition any more.
[Reply]
BigRichard 07:54 AM 11-25-2019
You are probably confusing the 660p with Intel Optane.

The 660p is slower than most consumer NVMe drives. It uses QLC NAND which is the slowest, least endurance, and bogs down at like 3/4 max capacity of the drive, but it's the cheapest. So it still has it's purpose as it's faster than SATA and you can get a lot of it for less, but it's just not something I'm interested in, especially when the sales on it arent all that great comparatively.

I would just never buy a 660p when its within $10 in price, sales excluded, of drives like the PNY CS3030, HP EX920, HP EX950, SP A80, Sabrent Rocket, or SX8200 Pro.

Compare the speeds of a Samsung 970 EVO Plus to the Sabrent Rocket or SX8200 Pro and tell me why you would ever spend the premium on the Samsung drive? Unless you really love Samsung Magician or feel like you need an insanely long warranty, the Samsung is just a shit buy, imo.

EDIT: Nevermind, Samsung doesn't even offer the 10 year warranty on their Pro model NVMe's like they did their SATA drives so their warranty isn't even better than the competition any more.
I guess that was my point... you were comparing apples to oranges.

Just looking at the SX8200 Pro, which read write speeds and price are very similar to Samsung EVO 970 1 TB.

https://www.amazon.com/XPG-SX8200-Ge.../dp/B07K1J3C23

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-E...IKX0DER&sr=1-2

To each their own I guess, I prefer my known commodity.
[Reply]
jd1020 07:59 AM 11-25-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I guess that was my point... you were comparing apples to oranges.
How was I comparing apples to oranges??????

I was comparing NVMe gen 3 vs NVMe gen 3. That's not apples to oranges.

One is built cheaper and sold at nearly the same cost because its made by Intel.

The SX8200 Pro goes on sale nearly monthly for around $100, sometimes less. But even then you have the Sabrent Rocket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGF54XR...ogi&th=1&psc=1 or HP EX950 https://www.newegg.com/hp-ex950-1tb/...pRgnFi76nJ5KJA to go against that Samsung 970 Evo.

Like you said, to each their own. But you can save a whole lot of money when you realize that the overwhelming majority of NVMe's are made with the same internals, mainly Phison E12/TLC/Toshiba/64 layers. A few like the SX8200 Pro/HP EX9## use a SMI controller and Micron NAND and some drives are being updated to gen 4 and 96 layers and Samsung has their own memory but they charge a pretty premium for it and the gains arent linear with the price, you can literally buy a Gen 4 Sabrent Rocket 1TB for the same price as a 970 Evo Plus 1TB... compare those drives against each other. Not going to knock anyone for buying Samsung because they are top tier drives, but for me its just not worth the added cost and I have a Samsung SATA as my boot drive in the computer I'm using right now that I built 6 years ago.
[Reply]
eDave 12:12 PM 11-25-2019
Amazon Cyber Monday:

https://bgr.com/2019/11/25/cyber-wee...-need-to-know/
[Reply]
Rasputin 12:24 PM 11-25-2019
I feel safer working at a State Mental Hospital than going shopping on Black Friday.
[Reply]
BigRichard 12:49 PM 11-25-2019
How was I comparing apples to oranges??????

Originally Posted by :
I was comparing NVMe gen 3 vs NVMe gen 3. That's not apples to oranges.

One is built cheaper and sold at nearly the same cost because its made by Intel.

The SX8200 Pro goes on sale nearly monthly for around $100, sometimes less. But even then you have the Sabrent Rocket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGF54XR...ogi&th=1&psc=1 or HP EX950 https://www.newegg.com/hp-ex950-1tb/...pRgnFi76nJ5KJA to go against that Samsung 970 Evo.

Like you said, to each their own. But you can save a whole lot of money when you realize that the overwhelming majority of NVMe's are made with the same internals, mainly Phison E12/TLC/Toshiba/64 layers. A few like the SX8200 Pro/HP EX9## use a SMI controller and Micron NAND and some drives are being updated to gen 4 and 96 layers and Samsung has their own memory but they charge a pretty premium for it and the gains arent linear with the price, you can literally buy a Gen 4 Sabrent Rocket 1TB for the same price as a 970 Evo Plus 1TB... compare those drives against each other. Not going to knock anyone for buying Samsung because they are top tier drives, but for me its just not worth the added cost and I have a Samsung SATA as my boot drive in the computer I'm using right now that I built 6 years ago.
The bolded parts was what I was talking about with apples to oranges.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up