ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Death Stranding
hometeam 08:18 PM 12-08-2017
If you havent seen this game yet, its the first independently developed Hideo Kojima game (metal gear solids). Teamed up with Norman Reedus.

World premiere trailer last night and... I dont know I feel like I have lost my mind just watching it. Watch the entire thing, you will not regret it. Can anyone tell me WHAT THE ****??

[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:31 PM 12-08-2017
When I watched that, my brain melted. So friggin weird. Could be good though.
[Reply]
Fish 10:52 AM 12-12-2017
WTF?

[Reply]
Bowser 11:02 AM 12-12-2017
So Daryl is pregnant and humanity's last hope for a child in a world overrun by demons, essentially?

Taking hallucinogens while playing this game should be mandatory, lol.
[Reply]
Fish 11:09 AM 12-12-2017
I've read that this game will attempt a completely different twist on video game death...

Originally Posted by :
“Games started over 40 years ago with arcades. When the player dies, it’s game over. You continue, and time goes back to before you die. You can die as many times as you want, but you always go back to a little bit before you die. That was a mechanic made specifically for putting in coins, and it hasn’t changed since then.

As Kojima spoke of the way a vast majority of games treat the concepts of life, death, and mortality, it was clear that Death Stranding was aiming to eschew this tradition. “One of the themes of this game is life and death. So I want people to realize that when they die in the game, that isn’t the end.”

Partway through the latest clip from Death Stranding, Sam (played by Norman Reedus) watches as an explosion engulfs the giant, Lovecraftian-kaiju that projects through the fog. Suddenly we see an upside-down world submerged in water, where Sam exists among the flotsam and jetsam of the universe around him.

From the sound of it, this is where Sam, and the player, go every time they die. But don’t make the mistake of calling this “game over.” When you die in Death Stranding, you’re transported to this purgatory, where you’re free to explore in first-person. Because of some mysterious “unique” abilities Sam possesses, you can wander outside of your body, recovering items among other things. As Kojima explains, “At that point, you’re not dead or alive. It’s the equivalent of that screen that says ‘Continue?’ and a counter ticking down towards zero.”

From what Kojima told us, here's how it sounds -- when you’re ready to return to the world of the living, you can get back into your body. However, unlike most games which set you back to a point before you died, Death Stranding acknowledges your defeat, and seems to even embrace it. You’re transported back to the world after your death -- like in Dark Souls or roguelikes -- where your actions maintain an aura of persistence. The mechanic of “dying” is ubiquitous in video games, but it sounds as though Kojima is implementing systems inspired by purgatory and reincarnation as well.

"So as you saw in the trailer, you saw the crater, and when you come back, it’s still there. Most games would’ve taken you back to before the crater was made. So depending on the player, you might have a lot of craters all over the place -- depends on each player."

“Death will never pull you out of the game,” Kojima firmly stated.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/...eplay-and-lore

[Reply]
Gonzo 12:46 AM 12-13-2017
Pretentious much? Kojima has great ideas and his fox engine is awesome. However, this will end up being a hot mess of a 3rd person shooter that confuses the shit out of people.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:50 AM 12-13-2017
Where does that go to....., Holy ***

I watched this one thinking it was going to be the same...

[Reply]
Bowser 06:56 PM 07-23-2018
What in the shit IS this -

[Reply]
keg in kc 07:27 PM 07-23-2018
That's about the craziest shit I've ever seen.

Hell of a cast, though.
[Reply]
bowener 08:51 AM 07-24-2018
This game may end up being nonsensical, but I think we are missing what it really is. It is possibly the start of A-list talent taking video games series. I was so stoked when Kojima and Del Toro teamed up for a hot second. I would love to see big name directors step into the gaming world to tell their stories and show their art. It might be the future of the Auteur. A place where they can be given complete control over a project start to finish.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:27 AM 07-24-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
WTF?

Oh that is super fucking creepy dude. Damn you for posting that.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:07 PM 05-29-2019
We thought it looked strange before...

[Reply]
Sure-Oz 12:22 PM 05-29-2019
Wtf
[Reply]
Fish 01:34 PM 05-29-2019
Well at least they explained everything.....
[Reply]
Jerm 02:13 PM 05-29-2019
I cannot believe I've pre-ordered this game and will play it in 2019...

A ton of people thought we wouldn't get it until 2021 or 2022, craziness.

I'm super excited...love that we've had all these trailers and still no so little about it. Not enough mystery in games anymore.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up