ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 14
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Melvin Gordon Wants a New Contract or Out of the Chargers
thabear04 08:18 AM 07-11-2019
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebigl...act-trade/amp/

Melvin Gordon, entering his fifth season in the NFL and thus still on his rookie deal, is dissatisfied with his contract with the Los Angeles Chargers and is taking those frustrations public:

Los Angeles running back Melvin Gordon has informed the Chargers that unless he receives a new contract, he will not report to training camp and he will demand a trade, his agent Fletcher Smith told ESPN.

Elite backs in the NFL persistently face this issue. The five-year deals for first round picks lock them in at below market wages, and then when they hit their mid to late twenties the teams say they are nearing the end of their useful lives. Last year, Gordon missed four games with an injured knee, but when he was playing he averaged over five yards per carry. Gordon is slated to make $5.6 million this season.

Off the top of my head, if they could make the compensation work the Packers would be a great fit for Gordon. He is from and played college football at Wisconsin, and is the threat to catch passes out of the backfield that Aaron Rodgers has been sorely lacking.
[Reply]
O.city 09:08 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Oh hells no.

I mean, i mean...yeah he's great! Top 5 even!

Since 2016, Melvin Gordon’s production:
* 28 rushing TD, T-2nd most in the NFL
* 10 receiving TD, T-4th most amongst RB
* 38 TD from scrimmage, 2nd most in the NFL

A versatile, workhorse back. Will be interesting to see how LA values the RB position in this case. https://t.co/cNRcFxUt9P

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) July 11, 2019

I mean, that's not bad right?

He's a good RB. But I can find a good RB anywhere (and the Chargers probably have 2 good ones behind him).
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:09 AM 07-11-2019
Oh hells no.

I mean, i mean...yeah he's great! Top 5 even!
But you're right, of course. The Chargers should pay him as a top-five running back since they're the favorite to win the division. Can't go changing things up when they're the favorite.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:16 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:

He's a good RB. But I can find a good RB anywhere (and the Chargers probably have 2 good ones behind him).
I guess “good” isn’t a terrible way to describe him, but I’m not even sure that he’s better than Damien Williams. He’s definitely overrated because of fantasy football.
[Reply]
TEX 09:17 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by Redbled:
One blessing of losing Hunt is not dealing with this nonsense.
True. However, I don't think Hunt was ever going to get paid in KC.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:17 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by Redbled:
One blessing of losing Hunt is not dealing with this nonsense.
Agreed. Hunt is likely a top back deserving of top money, but damn if we can't replace that production for a mere fraction of the cost.
[Reply]
O.city 09:18 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I guess “good” isn’t a terrible way to describe him, but I’m not even sure that he’s better than Damien Williams. He’s definitely overrated because of fantasy football.
I think he's probably more "talented" but in terms of what he'll produce? Nope.

RB's are such a product of their system, unless they're just a special ass player but even then, I dunno how much i'd wanna pay one.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:20 AM 07-11-2019
I think he's probably more "talented" but in terms of what he'll produce? Nope.

RB's are such a product of their system, unless they're just a special ass player but even then, I dunno how much i'd wanna pay one.
I guess he’s a more talented runner, but I’d give Williams the edge as a receiver.

But yea you’re 100% right about the rest.
[Reply]
Redbled 09:22 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by TEX:
True. However, I don't think Hunt was ever going to get paid in KC.
Maybe not but at least we avoid the distraction.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:23 AM 07-11-2019
Sucks for them, but they do have one do the best GM’s in the league who could easily replace him.
[Reply]
O.city 09:24 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Sucks for them, but they do have one do the best GM’s in the league who could easily replace him.
Ekelar and the other RB whose name escapes me already are just as good.

They'll tell him "well I guess we'll see you week 1 big guy".
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:24 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Getting a productive running back is just a matter of building a productive offense. If your offense is good, your backs will produce. There's no need to devote a lot of cap dollars or draft capital to the position.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:27 AM 07-11-2019

Yes, yes, just focus on that. Focus on the cumulative stats that are a bi-product of being forced the ball as a #1 back. Good idea. Don't talk about his 3.9 YPC as a full time starter, his two broken knees, the fact that he couldn't score a TD till his 2nd season, or his inability to learn the playbook.

Hopefully that's what the Chargers are doing at least.
[Reply]
Shoes 09:34 AM 07-11-2019
Ekelar and the other RB whose name escapes me already are just as good.

They'll tell him "well I guess we'll see you week 1 big guy".
Justin Jackson is who I think you are referring to.
[Reply]
O.city 09:58 AM 07-11-2019
Yes, yes, just focus on that. Focus on the cumulative stats that are a bi-product of being forced the ball as a #1 back. Good idea. Don't talk about his 3.9 YPC as a full time starter, his two broken knees, the fact that he couldn't score a TD till his 2nd season, or his inability to learn the playbook.

Hopefully that's what the Chargers are doing at least.
Ok but they forced him the ball as the number one overall back and he produced.

What you said is valid for sure but he’s a fine player

I would trade him and move on if I were the Chargers
[Reply]
O.city 09:58 AM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by Shoes:
Justin Jackson is who I think you are referring to.
Yes that’s him
[Reply]
Page 2 of 14
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up