ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Sam Mellinger on Chris Jones/"Basketball-Gate"
FloridaMan88 11:15 AM 01-14-2020
From Sam Mellinger's column in today's KC Star:

Originally Posted by :
First, Chris Jones did not injure himself playing basketball. A source I’ve known for years and who has never lied to me (and, in fact, who has corrected others who’ve lied to me) offered an emphatic denial of the Internet rumor. Jones’ calf was hurt during Thursday’s practice. It’s awful luck, and worse timing.

Second, yes, absolutely, that basketball hoop needs to go. This has nothing to do with Jones. I’ve thought this all season. I’m all for guys being able to blow off steam, and there’s some genuine team building that can happen around that hoop. But the games have slowly moved from shooting around to H-O-R-S-E to friendly one-on-one to heated two-on-two.

Once, earlier in the season, Marcus Kemp went flying into a wall. On another day, a tile fell from the ceiling, crashing to the ground directly in front of Mecole Hardman’s locker.

Give them a ping pong table. Or pool. Corn hole. Pop-a-shot. Whatever.

But this hoop has been a bad idea for a long time.

[Reply]
TLO 12:16 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
he was very matter of fact about it

seemed legit to me, older guy
Chris Jones not injured playing basketball - confirmed.

Thanks
[Reply]
Holladay 12:37 PM 01-14-2020
Not so sure about ping pong. I was playing a killer game vs my son Christmas eve. Balls flying everywhere, slams, saves etc. Then I went down...tweeked a knee.

Of this might be an issue. I'm am 54. I almost beat the turd:-) 20 vs 21 at that point.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:37 PM 01-14-2020
How would Reid's reaction to being asked about Jones injury differ between hurt playing basketball or hurt on last play of practice? I mean, both are pretty devastating things to happen right before a playoff game. So, would his face be more or less contorted? Would he sound less frustrated? Would he be less short with his answer? Go full Bob Knight game day face?

[Reply]
KCUnited 12:43 PM 01-14-2020
Image: Not Safe for Work

[Reply]
Buehler445 12:52 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
What the Chiefs do with Jones in the offseason will probably tell us something.
Yeah. When I told my buddy Jones showed up on the injury list first thing he said is He ought to call Dee Ford and ask what happens if you fuck up a playoff game.

If it’s something retarded I can’t expect they’ll break the bank for him but who knows.

Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't know that the players union would be up for the NDA thing.

The legality of it is weird.
Laws are weird man. I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn but I think The CBA would have to explicitly say what kind of things would be prohibited from NDA. Like injury and salary, but I’m doubting they force the guys to make every aspect of their entire lives available to the public.

Imagine how many NDAs are floating around bout what Jim Irsay does in his office.
[Reply]
Mike in SW-MO 12:57 PM 01-14-2020
Wasn't he an LP on Wednesday & Thursday for a calf injury? Then Reid said he tweaked it in practice.

Then he was DNP on Friday.

I suspect I detect gaslight.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:01 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO:
Wasn't he an LP on Wednesday & Thursday for a calf injury? Then Reid said he tweaked it in practice.

Then he was DNP on Friday.

I suspect I detect gaslight.
LP on Thursday. DNP on Friday.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 01:02 PM 01-14-2020
All the same, even if it's just bad timing, you can't commit that kind of money to a guy who isn't around when it matters most. Tag and trade him, or tag him until he shows up in a playoff game and shows you why he's worth that money.
[Reply]
wazu 01:11 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
All the same, even if it's just bad timing, you can't commit that kind of money to a guy who isn't around when it matters most. Tag and trade him, or tag him until he shows up in a playoff game and shows you why he's worth that money.
Yeah I’m done with Jones. Money can be spent elsewhere if he’s not gonna be available for the playoffs. Basketball, practice, bad luck, don’t care. His contract will be too big.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 01:20 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
Yeah I’m done with Jones. Money can be spent elsewhere if he’s not gonna be available for the playoffs. Basketball, practice, bad luck, don’t care. His contract will be too big.
Agreed.

Who cares how he did it? Guy is clearly injury prone. It's not worth the risk giving him a big contract.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 03:10 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Agreed.

Who cares how he did it? Guy is clearly injury prone. It's not worth the risk giving him a big contract.
How is he clearly injury prone? How many games has he missed?
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 03:42 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Agreed.

I love Chris Jones. I really do.

But not giving guys massive contracts is how the Patriots were able to sustain a dynasty for 20 years.

We have the coach and quarterback. Stay young, cheap, and talented around them.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:46 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Clay and I met someone at the game who claimed to have some relation to someone who worked with equipment (I'm not going further into detail there deliberately). That person said he absolutely hurt it playing basketball and everyone was basically forced to sign NDAs afterward. Also mentioned Watkins hurt himself earlier in the year doing the same thing.

Can't speak to this person's credibility, but it was an awfully creative lie if it's not true.
You were too drunk to stand at the game man
[Reply]
DaFace 04:02 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Clay and I met someone at the game who claimed to have some relation to someone who worked with equipment (I'm not going further into detail there deliberately). That person said he absolutely hurt it playing basketball and everyone was basically forced to sign NDAs afterward. Also mentioned Watkins hurt himself earlier in the year doing the same thing.

Can't speak to this person's credibility, but it was an awfully creative lie if it's not true.
That doesn't even make any sense. No one's gonna just gather up a group of people and have them sign an NDA about a specific event. If anyone asked me to do that, I'd be calling my lawyer.

You're either under an NDA in the first place (for things like the playbook) or you're not.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:04 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And his reaction legitimately could be him getting pissed off that the
media was basically trying to insinuate something by asking him what specific play he got hurt on. They were being morons about it.
Yep. It's not like it's normal for the media to ask questions about how SPECIFICALLY a player got hurt.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up