ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 38
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:39 PM 12-29-2019
"it was lame and silly in parts"

"i enjoyed it"

"that's to be expected"

i fucking hate jar jar abrams
[Reply]
Frazod 10:52 PM 12-29-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
"it was lame and silly in parts"

"i enjoyed it"

"that's to be expected"

i fucking hate jar jar abrams
Like I said, I had low expectations.

And I'm no far of Jar Jar either; he's done irreparable damage to both Star Trek and Star Wars. But compared to Rian Johnson, he's David Lean.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:39 PM 12-29-2019
i know TLJ wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me, at least it was original

i respect that a lot more than ANYTHING JJ has EVER done

Rian is a much better filmmaker - his past work proves this too

blame KK for the stuff you didn't like
[Reply]
Frazod 11:46 PM 12-29-2019
i know TLJ wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me, at least it was original

i respect that a lot more than ANYTHING JJ has EVER done

Rian is a much better filmmaker - his past work proves this too

blame KK for the stuff you didn't like
I'm told David Lynch has made some good movies, too. But he also made Dune, so I don't give a fuck what else he did.

Last Jedi was the Dune of Star Wars.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:07 AM 12-30-2019
See, I like Dune. :-)

I just can't respect anything JJ did. At least Rian tried to make it interesting.

Total hogwash trilogy at the end though. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

You don't see Nolan doing shit like this. Why? He's the one in charge of everything.
[Reply]
Fish 12:18 AM 12-30-2019
Saw it earlier tonight. Man, what a shitty mess. So much potential, but nothing more than a dumbed down and watered down marketing campaign for mass appeal. So many issues that create a shit stain on lots of prior movie plots and canon. At least Chewie finally got his medal.

If not for the Mandalorian, I'd be done with Star Wars. How can that series be so right, when the last two movies have felt so completely wrong? Bleh....
[Reply]
Fish 12:27 AM 12-30-2019
Also... does this mean Ahsoka Tano is dead? I got all excited when I saw a character credited for doing an Ahsoka Tano voice in IX before I watched the movie. I thought I caught a spoiler and there would be a live action Ahsoka character. But she was just a force voice used when Rey was hearing all the Jedi team quotes. Discussion that it means she actually died in her fight against Vader in Rebels....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:31 AM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Also... does this mean Ahsoka Tano is dead? I got all excited when I saw a character credited for doing an Ahsoka Tano voice in IX before I watched the movie. I thought I caught a spoiler and there would be a live action Ahsoka character. But she was just a force voice used when Rey was hearing all the Jedi team quotes. Discussion that it means she actually died in her fight against Vader in Rebels....
Ahsoka and Sabine went searching for Ezra and Thrawn in the closing moments of the final episode of Rebels.

And according to Dave Filoni, Ahsoka is not dead, even though her voice is heard in RoS.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:33 AM 12-30-2019
oh yeah man, sounds like a completely plausible thing that would happen to the most powerful being in the galaxy
Nearly every Emperor (and many Popes) had bastard children and many world leaders throughout time have had love affairs that spawned children.

It stands to reason that the most powerful man in the galaxy, the creator of an Empire and the living Emperor, would have concubines far and wide, many of which would result in child birth.

Simple logic.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:36 AM 12-30-2019
Sorry, I just don't find it believable.

Palpatine was busy ruling an Empire and doing Sith shit, not fucking.

This isn't Game of Thrones.
[Reply]
Fish 11:50 AM 12-30-2019
Yeah, it just doesn't really make much sense that the Emperor would have been off getting poontang on the side. It's just lazy writing.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:51 AM 12-30-2019
Sorry, I just don't find it believable.
Please correct me in case I'm misunderstanding you:

The Force, Force Ghosts, engineering that allows spaceships to traverse a galaxy at or beyond lightspeed without any loss of time or matter along with the mechanical know-how to not only design one type of "Planet-Destroying" weapon but multiple planet destroying weapons?

Believable

The most powerful man in the galaxy having concubines and numerous bastard children throughout said galaxy, like ALL powerful men throughout history, including those living today?

Not Believable

Is that correct?
[Reply]
Fish 11:53 AM 12-30-2019
It's not that by itself it wouldn't be believable. It just goes against everything we've ever seen regarding the Emperor and Sith in general. They're not the family type...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:02 PM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Please correct me in case I'm misunderstanding you:

The Force, Force Ghosts, engineering that allows spaceships to traverse a galaxy at or beyond lightspeed without any loss of time or matter along with the mechanical know-how to not only design one type of "Planet-Destroying" weapon but multiple planet destroying weapons?

Believable

The most powerful man in the galaxy having concubines and numerous bastard children throughout said galaxy, like ALL powerful men throughout history, including those living today?

Not Believable

Is that correct?
In the established context of the Star Wars galaxy, yes, Palpatine fucking and also losing track of his offspring...doesn't sound believable to me.

At all.

At the very least, he'd just kill them. His son apparently didn't even have force powers? Even more unbelievable. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:03 PM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
It's not that by itself it wouldn't be believable. It just goes against everything we've ever seen regarding the Emperor and Sith in general. They're not the family type...
Maybe not in the movies but in the Clone Wars series, the Sith were definitely family. Mother Talzin, a Sith Witch, helped to heal Darth Maul's mind and created his new legs using Sith Black Magic.

She also imbibed Maul's brother Savage Oppress (dumbest name in the Star Wars Universe, for my money, anyway), with Sith powers.

While I understand that there are several concepts introduced in this film that at first mention or first thought don't make sense or don't have a foundation in the movies, the foundation does exist in other Star Wars media that has been made Canon since George sold it to Disney.

As I mentioned earlier, there have been calls for Lucasfilm to include the EU or at least aspects of the EU and for whatever reason, Abrams and Terrio listened to those voices and made them a part of this film.

Now, that doesn't mean that anyone has to like it, of course, but many of the complaints are based in the EU, even RJ's Force Astral Projection Luke was a Jedi power that appeared in the old EU.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 38
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up