ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Changing Cell Phones
TrebMaxx 01:49 PM 01-05-2020
The Mrs. and mine AT&T cell phones are running near 10 years old and we have decided to get new ones. Sam's Club has the AT&T phones we would like to get. Can I just go and buy the phones, bring them home and put the sim card from the old phones in the new ones? I work in IT but cell phones are not one of my interest so I have no clue. Thank you in advance!
[Reply]
vailpass 02:08 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by TrebMaxx:
The Mrs. and mine AT&T cell phones are running near 10 years old and we have decided to get new ones. Sam's Club has the AT&T phones we would like to get. Can I just go and buy the phones, bring them home and put the sim card from the old phones in the new ones? I work in IT but cell phones are not one of my interest so I have no clue. Thank you in advance!
These days you can use your carrier's data transfer app to move from old phone to new. Link below with instructional video. With how old your phones are I don't know if that will work for you or not.
You can contact AT&T and ask them or go into one of their stores and ask.

https://www.att.com/features/mobile-transfer.html

Or,
Bring your old phones with you to Sam's and ask the phone sales person how to transfer your data. Make sure you have all your contacts saved to the cloud unless you don't believe in that sort of thing.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:18 PM 01-05-2020
The old sim cards may not fit in the new phones.

I upgraded from a Galaxy 5 to a Galaxy 10 and had to take the new phone to the AT&T store to set it up because my old Sim card was too big for the new phone.

Turned out great, they sold me an Otterbox and Screen protector for $5/each and I got 20% off an extra charging cord.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 04:38 PM 01-05-2020
I will see what I run into then. I do have a at&t store at the entrance to my neighborhood if I have to. Sam's pissed me off, no one working the phone counter. Asked a employee if we could get some assistance and they got on the radio and made a call out. Waited around 15+ minutes with no one showing up so we left. The at&t store near me doesn't have any Galaxy S10's in stock so the search is on.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:04 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by TrebMaxx:
I will see what I run into then. I do have a at&t store at the entrance to my neighborhood if I have to. Sam's pissed me off, no one working the phone counter. Asked a employee if we could get some assistance and they got on the radio and made a call out. Waited around 15+ minutes with no one showing up so we left. The at&t store near me doesn't have any Galaxy S10's in stock so the search is on.
I don't know if it matters to you but the S11 is due to be released on February 11. Even if you still want the S10 they might drop prices on it once the S11 is out.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:50 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I don't know if it matters to you but the S11 is due to be released on February 11. Even if you still want the S10 they might drop prices on it once the S11 is out.
I got mine at a discount and all the accessories were discounted, so it's worth it to ask. They sold me the Otterbox and screen protector for $5/ea
[Reply]
jd1020 08:13 AM 01-06-2020
My last 2 phones I've bought through swappa and eBay, one used for a month (LG G2) and one brand new in box about a year after release and factory unlocked with no carrier bloatware (S9). If you can afford the cost upfront you'll save a ton of money in the long run.

When I switched phones my sim card didnt fit in the S9 but all I had to do was take it to AT&T and they just put it in a press that cut it down to size and I'm still using the same sim.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 08:56 AM 01-06-2020
Swappa is the way to go. Got my s9 from there- mint condition, deep discount compared to any sales at any store for new. And this was just a few months after its release.
[Reply]
Up