ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>New Build_2019 Christmas Edition
vailpass 12:19 PM 12-24-2019
With the price of memory and gpus now coming down to earth I decided to take advantage of Christmas sales and do a new build for myself. I have laptops but no desktop and this is a want-not-need situation so I'm going to buy it piece by piece as I find deals.

I don't game on the PC but I can't not build it to be gaming capable so I'm going with good but not top-shelf components for gaming.

Here is what I ordered today. Good deals, I"m going to watch to see if they are offered for any lower day after Christmas and get the difference if so.

Anybody have any suggestions on a motherboard? That's the part I have the hardest time figuring out which is best for me. Any other suggestions are most appreciated as well.

Purchased
CPU I5-9600k
SSD 1 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe
SSD 2 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Case NZXT H700i Matte Black
GPU MSI Gaming X RTX 2060 Super
MOBO MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B
Power Supply Corsair 650 gold

Deals I'm still Watching for:

Win10 Key

*Updated 1/3*
[Reply]
vailpass 03:02 PM 01-03-2020
Originally Posted by Dayze:
I need to hit up CP this year. I want to build a pc for simulation gaming. Primarily a flight simulator (I think MS is releasing the next version this year), American truck simulator, and a few others perhaps. I want to run 3 monitors no bigger than 37” be able to have really nice resolution, 1080 will do it.,

Once I sell the the motorcycle I should have a bit of cash equity to kick things off. Budget for the computer would probably be in the 800 to 1k , then slowly build up to a nice racing seat/cockpit set up. I m hoping that range will get me in the ball park.

I’ve never built one, so now idea what I would be in for.
Let us know Dayze. As you can see there is no shortage of people here with experience and opinions.
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 04:48 PM 01-03-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Appreciate your input. I don't need guidance on what Intel is or is not, especially when it is incorrect. Your statement that AMD runs cooler than Intel being a prime example.

I notice that lately AMD has spawned a following somewhat akin to Bernie Bros. They are passionate about their beliefs and are irrational about those who don't profess the same way of thinking or enthusiasm. Like they just can't understand how you arent swept up in the same mania they are.

Again, appreciate the constructive input from you and everyone else in this thread.

I ordered a Corsair 650 gold fully modular PSU from Amazon yesterday at 2 p.m., it arrived at my house 4 hours later. My parts list is now complete. Hoping to find the time next weekend to put it together.

Dude, you didn't even build your first computer until a couple of years ago. (unless I'm mistaking you for someone else). I've built over 300 computers at this point, since 1994 with the 486dx2 being my first build) The Intel 9th gen processors do run hotter than AMDs Ryzen 3000s, though because of the Ryzen design, particularly with the PBO - they do tend to get high density "hot spots". Additionally, due to early BIOS teething issues, temperatures weren't getting reported correctly but that has been resolved with the AGESA 1.0.0.3 abba and later releases.

As for rationality, the proof is literally in the benchmarks. I don't think you can find a well-respected hardware reviewer that would recommend a Intel 9600 processor over a Ryzen 3600/3600x for a gaming/general use computer.
Certainly not Hardware Unboxed, AnandTech, Linus Tech Tips, Techspot, Gamers Nexus, etc.

The 9600k is a great processor and I'm sure you'll love it. I'm just saying from my perspective as both a computer enthusiast/builder and a person who makes a living working in IT and makes hardware purchasing decisions for my company - I would have gone a different direction.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 05:23 PM 01-03-2020
Appreciate your input. I don't need guidance on what Intel is or is not, especially when it is incorrect. Your statement that AMD runs cooler than Intel being a prime example.

I notice that lately AMD has spawned a following somewhat akin to Bernie Bros. They are passionate about their beliefs and are irrational about those who don't profess the same way of thinking or enthusiasm. Like they just can't understand how you arent swept up in the same mania they are.

Again, appreciate the constructive input from you and everyone else in this thread.

I ordered a Corsair 650 gold fully modular PSU from Amazon yesterday at 2 p.m., it arrived at my house 4 hours later. My parts list is now complete. Hoping to find the time next weekend to put it together.
I wish I could get Amazon to show up same day, well maybe I don't. I would order too much shit, nonstop probably.

Are you going to get some custom cables made for your build?

I am starting to get picked up in the AMD hype, mostly because after the latest release from Intel. The computer guys I watch on YouTube were all unimpressed, simply because it seems like the same chip. I don't remember all the exact reasons, but I digress. Seems like AMD is becoming the best bang for your buck, but a 9600K will be plenty of chip to do pretty much anything.

Good luck.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:07 PM 01-03-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
but I digress.
Been watching too much Jayztwocents.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:17 PM 01-03-2020
I wish I could get Amazon to show up same day, well maybe I don't. I would order too much shit, nonstop probably.

I am starting to get picked up in the AMD hype, mostly because after the latest release from Intel. The computer guys I watch on YouTube were all unimpressed, simply because it seems like the same chip. I don't remember all the exact reasons, but I digress. Seems like AMD is becoming the best bang for your buck, but a 9600K will be plenty of chip to do pretty much anything.

Good luck.
I watched a video on how to make custom cables and man it was too much work for me. They're great looking but I'm not going to spend the money for premade.

The actual performance difference between AMD and Intel just isn't significant for my purposes.

I have several engineer buddies (including one who is at Intel) and they all agree the hype that is generated by both manufacturers is a lot of noise about nothing designed to garner $ from the enthusiasts. Most interesting thing to watch will be Intel's upcoming GPU launch. Two of them helped me with my first builds, one of them was am AMD guy even then because they gave him what he wanted for cheaper.

Thanks for your input and assistance.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:18 PM 01-03-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
That dude weirds me out for some reason. Guess I'm used to Paul.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 09:23 PM 01-03-2020
I had actually just finished his latest video when I wrote that. Didn’t even realize I said that, fucking subliminal messages
[Reply]
jd1020 09:41 PM 01-03-2020
I watched a video on how to make custom cables and man it was too much work for me. They're great looking but I'm not going to spend the money for premade.
There's some company out there that makes cable extensions. Think you can customize the colors and all you do is plug it into the board then the psu cable into the extension. You can get a whole kit of extensions for the price of like 1 custom cable from CableMods.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:57 PM 01-03-2020
That dude weirds me out for some reason. Guess I'm used to Paul.
I used to watch him a lot but I've moved on to more informative youtubers like GamersNexus, HardwareUnboxed, and Level1Techs. I cant watch Linus, that voice just eats right through me. And if you really want to learn way more than you ever wanted about motherboards then theres a guy called Buildzoid who also does videos for GamersNexus but has his own channel where he goes full blown nerd.

The intro, alone, to this video probably made it my all time favorite "build a pc" guide because I could just feel the collective triggered minds of all the internet experts out there and how it should be done. You can buy all the different parts you want but god damnit you better put that ****ing thermal paste on like I say and use exactly how much I say.

[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 08:49 AM 01-04-2020
I used to watch him a lot but I've moved on to more informative youtubers like GamersNexus, HardwareUnboxed, and Level1Techs. I cant watch Linus, that voice just eats right through me. And if you really want to learn way more than you ever wanted about motherboards then theres a guy called Buildzoid who also does videos for GamersNexus but has his own channel where he goes full blown nerd.

The intro, alone, to this video probably made it my all time favorite "build a pc" guide because I could just feel the collective triggered minds of all the internet experts out there and how it should be done. You can buy all the different parts you want but god damnit you better put that ****ing thermal paste on like I say and use exactly how much I say.

This reminds me of the infamous Verge PC build video. The reaction video to it is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-2Scfj4FZk
[Reply]
hometeam 09:21 PM 01-04-2020

I wrote a really big paragraph, explaining how you are being a dick about good advice, because you think you 'know better' (hint, you do not) than the people giving advice, and why your snarky comment is not correct. My qualifications, what I do, have done, and know.

Instead, ill just give you a small sample

You are wrong. Not that it even matters, in your case, as there would be no noticeable difference in anything your PC is doing, or how much heat it is outputting into the room, with either the processor you choose, or its AMD competitor.

Welcome to 2019, when comparing competitive chips, at best for your argument, they output the same kind of heat. In nearly all use cases, zen 2 is coming in a few degrees cooler than Intel. The video above shows it, as does every other head to head comparison.

Your pc will still be just fine, and it doesn't matter much that you gave up a little bang for the buck to go with, by a small margin, a slower and hotter processor. But you just don't know as much as your snarky comment suggests.

So like, dont be a jerk man. Enjoy the PC.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:30 PM 01-04-2020

Good luck.
The newest intel chips are truly the same chip from the 6 series. There have been no gains to speak of in IPC, and no manufacturing changes, its all in frequency. (they are just pushing the limits of the chip from the factory instead of making the end user overclock it)

Dont get me wrong, I have a beast of a PC with a 7700k in it. Does great for gaming. Also lags behind in IPC to the zen 2 PCs I am running, while making up for it with a huge overclock. Sheer brute force from my intel chip to get similar frame rates (and lower 1% lows) in gaming to my 3900x machine.. which btw, with 8 more cores, and 16 threads, on similar coolers, runs about 5 degrees cooler at idle, and about 10 under gaming load, in the same room.
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 11:52 PM 01-04-2020
Originally Posted by hometeam:
The newest intel chips are truly the same chip from the 6 series. There have been no gains to speak of in IPC, and no manufacturing changes, its all in frequency. (they are just pushing the limits of the chip from the factory instead of making the end user overclock it)

Dont get me wrong, I have a beast of a PC with a 7700k in it. Does great for gaming. Also lags behind in IPC to the zen 2 PCs I am running, while making up for it with a huge overclock. Sheer brute force from my intel chip to get similar frame rates (and lower 1% lows) in gaming to my 3900x machine.. which btw, with 8 more cores, and 16 threads, on similar coolers, runs about 5 degrees cooler at idle, and about 10 under gaming load, in the same room.
There have been some IPC gains since Skylake, but not a lot. Don't quote me on this but I believe the 9th gen has about 18% IPC uplift over Skylake. Like you said, most of the performance gains have come in the form of higher frequency clock speeds at the expense of heat and higher power draw.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 03:09 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by hometeam:

That is what I was thinking, they had said, but I didn't want to put out bad info.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up