ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Strouds fried chicken
jspchief 08:09 PM 08-10-2005
A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
[Reply]
srvy 05:38 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by asdf:
It was originally called the Dinner Horn, then it became Rembrandts. As mentioned, now it's a real estate office. :-)

Check out the old postcard -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KANSAS-CITY...-/264103113634
I never ate at either but I knew many who did and said was first and last.

Before Dinner Horn there was a place on south side Barry Rd just west of Maple Woods that was popular a long time. I have forgotten the name it was in like this big white mansion plantation style home food was very good.
[Reply]
chinaski 06:32 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
Italian Gardens downtown and Golden Ox by the old stockyards were the two best (non BBQ) restaurants in KC when I was young. I assume both are gone. In high school I worked with LC Richardson (later opened LCs) at the Royals Stadium club fetching his prime rib, and eating his BBQ changed my life. But for cheap steak I do remember Ponderosa and Bonanza fit the bill.
My mom liked Ponderosa, so we would go on occasion...but my dad HATED it. I also remember eating at a place called "The Village" with my mom next to the Blue Ridge East cinema off of 40 Highway. We would eat there sometimes after shopping at the Blue Ridge Mall, or after seeing a movie.

And of course Shoney's off of 350 Highway.

Sadly, I was born and raised in KC and I have never eaten at Strouds. Next time I am in town I will check it out.
[Reply]
srvy 06:51 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by chinaski:
My mom liked Ponderosa, so we would go on occasion...but my dad HATED it. I also remember eating at a place called "The Village" with my mom next to the Blue Ridge East cinema off of 40 Highway. We would eat there sometimes after shopping at the Blue Ridge Mall, or after seeing a movie.

Sadly, I was born and raised in KC and I have never eaten at Strouds. Next time I am in town I will check it out.
If you go to Strouds go to the Northland location when they closed the original location due to Bruce R Watkins expressway the cooks and his crew came over.
[Reply]
Third Eye 07:09 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by asdf:
It was originally called the Dinner Horn, then it became Rembrandts. As mentioned, now it's a real estate office. :-)

Check out the old postcard -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KANSAS-CITY...-/264103113634
The Dinner Horn!!! Thank you!
[Reply]
jerryaldini 07:17 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by chinaski:

Ha Shoneys, I remember the one on Blue Ridge. Which reminds me of the nearby Hi Boy. I wonder if those are still around anywhere.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 07:22 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
You stepped into the way back machine for these two. :-)

I remember that one of them had the best Texas Toast I ever had. Crispy, garlicky flavor and full of real butter. :-)

Their steaks were satisfactory for what they charged and were most were located; inside of malls.
Yes! Ponderosa got me hooked on Texas toast. Still think of it when I buy the shitty frozen kind in the grocery store. I got one of those oval metal steak plates in a wooden tray that I pull out when I make steak to relive the experience.
[Reply]
patteeu 07:30 AM 10-02-2019
I remember as a kid going to Sirloin Stockade a couple of times and thinking it was the fanciest restaurant in the world. For those unfamiliar, Sirloin Stockade was like Ponderosa and Bonanza, but I think it was from a slightly earlier era.
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:32 AM 10-02-2019
We're goin to sizzler! We're goin to sizzler!
[Reply]
srvy 07:33 AM 10-02-2019
Yes! Ponderosa got me hooked on Texas toast. Still think of it when I buy the shitty frozen kind in the grocery store. I got one of those oval metal steak plates in a wooden tray that I pull out when I make steak to relive the experience.
I don't remember Texas toast at pondergrossa but I remember the bun that came with a lunch of dinner plate. Our crew was eating at the one in liberty I looked up as one of the guy raised the bun took a big bite and me and another guy yelled out don't. It was to late he bit into a big juicy water bug on bottom his bun. Spit it out and headed to bathroom gagging lol. Needless to say he didn't have to pay for his meal.
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:35 AM 10-02-2019
People just don't get enough protein these days...
[Reply]
Sully 07:36 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Speaking of KC restaurants that are no more, what was the name of the restaurant that was a little west of Metro North on the north side of Barry Road. It was set back off the road a bit and it looked like a country club. My memory of it may not be perfect because it was a long time ago, but I remember it being one of those places you go for prom and such. Hell, it may still exist, but I don’t think so. I never have the need to go to that part of town though, so I can’t be sure.
Rembrandt's

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:48 AM 10-02-2019
On the subject of places that no longer exists, does anyone else have fond memories of ShowBiz Pizza?
[Reply]
FlorentinePogen 12:15 PM 10-02-2019
Ha Shoneys, I remember the one on Blue Ridge. Which reminds me of the nearby Hi Boy. I wonder if those are still around anywhere.
Yep, three HiBoys still open in Independence. One near 291 & RD Mize, one @ 40 hwy and Blue Ridge blvd, one up on 24 hwy east of Sugar Creek
[Reply]
chinaski 12:47 PM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
On the subject of places that no longer exists, does anyone else have fond memories of ShowBiz Pizza?
Oh hell yeah.

You've been saving all your nickels and dimes
(For two whole weeks)
Gonna show someone a real good time...
(Come on Cindy, you're coming with me)

I remember going to the Show-Biz on Noland road when I was a kid...I remember it being right by the Venture store. Birthday Party's and what not. I don't remember the food, just the Animatronic band (Jim Bob?) and the Arcade. Good Times.

(Your're not suppose to eat the ball!)
[Reply]
chinaski 12:48 PM 10-02-2019
Yeah, I think that was the one. Blue Ridge close to 350 Highway if I recall correctly. Been awhile. :-)
[Reply]
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up