ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Best and worst of 80s tv
el borracho 10:25 PM 09-01-2019
https://youtu.be/HXvki5MKPAI
[Reply]
Frazod 10:45 PM 09-01-2019
Heh. John McClane dirty dancing with Valeria. :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:33 AM 09-02-2019
I should revisit Moonlighting sometime.
Loved the hell out of it on first run, but never really found it anywhere in syndication to revisit it.
That clip is probably by far the most I've seen of it since it went off air the first time.
But it was appointment TV in the late 80s.
So weird and smart and funny and experimental.

One that sticks out in my mind, though I've never seen it but the one time it aired live, Whoopi Goldberg [back when she was relatively unknown] played some conlady the Agency was trying to take down, and she had all these elaborate mechanisms to keep slipping out of David's hands, after yet another exciting and hilarious chase scene. And it had 'devil with a blue dress' as the recurring musical motif for the action scenes.
We thought that was about the best thing that had ever been put on television back in the day. 'Water Cooler' TV at school the next day before that was even a thing.

Edit - should have guessed YT has the whole effing episode. Guess I'll have to see if it holds up to memory.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:09 AM 09-02-2019
I didn't watch much TV in the 80's, but Moonlighting I never missed and even recorded the shows on my VCR to show other people. I even bought the 45 of Al Jarreau singing the theme song, why I don't know.

I remember they had Orson Welles on a show about a dream sequence, it was not the normal type show, and Welles was the narrator or something. By the time the episode had aired, he was dead, I think he died about two weeks after he performed.

The only part about the show I didn't like was the last season Bruce Willis was so popular, he was away making movies and didn't hardly appear on the show. They had Ms DiPiesto and Bert featured a lot more, and they couldn't carry the weight. I have Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, bought them about ten years ago, I probably should watch them again, but I don't watch any DVD's now.

[Reply]
Nzoner 08:31 AM 09-02-2019
The only two tv shows I remember watching regularly in the 80's

[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 08:51 AM 09-02-2019
Agree, Moonlighting was witty and fun. The cheesy chases and banter was addictive. The Mark Harmon vs Bruce episodes were riveting, and the whole series was worth watching again many years later.

Riptide was another fun one that died out and got forgotten. Simon + Simon was also a favorite.
[Reply]
JD10367 10:21 AM 09-02-2019
Cheers, Family Ties, The Wonder Years, Magnum P.I., Night Court, Moonlighting, Hill Street Blues, Newhart, second half of Taxi's lifespan, The A-Team, Married With Children, Miami Vice, The Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, MacGyver, Remington Steele, Who's The Boss, Murphy Brown, Cagney & Lacey, ALF, Full House, The Golden Girls, Pee Wee's Playhouse, second half of The Love Boat's lifespan, St. Elsewhere, Mama's Family, The Greatest American Hero, The Facts Of Life, Dynasty, the beginning of Seinfeld, 21 Jump Street, Roseanne, the second half of Different Strokes's lifespan, Charles in Charge, Murder She Wrote, Hart to Hart, Star Trek TNG, The Fall Guy, T.J. Hooker, the final years of Soap, Simon & Simon, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, the beginning of Quantum Leap... lots of good stuff in the 80s.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 10:25 AM 09-02-2019
Originally Posted by JD10367:
Cheers, Family Ties, The Wonder Years, Magnum P.I., Night Court, Moonlighting, Hill Street Blues, Newhart, second half of Taxi's lifespan, The A-Team, Married With Children, Miami Vice, The Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, MacGyver, Remington Steele, Who's The Boss, Murphy Brown, Cagney & Lacey, ALF, Full House, The Golden Girls, Pee Wee's Playhouse, second half of The Love Boat's lifespan, St. Elsewhere, Mama's Family, The Greatest American Hero, The Facts Of Life, Dynasty, the beginning of Seinfeld, 21 Jump Street, Roseanne, the second half of Different Strokes's lifespan, Charles in Charge, Murder She Wrote, Hart to Hart, Star Trek TNG, The Fall Guy, T.J. Hooker, the final years of Soap, Simon & Simon, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, the beginning of Quantum Leap... lots of good stuff in the 80s.
A great show, wish it lasted a bit longer.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:29 AM 09-02-2019
Moonlighting was my fave for sure. But only the first 3 seasons or so. Until Maddie and Dave hooked up.

Loved Miami Vice too. But mainly for the cool styles and MTV influence. Most of the plot lines I could barely follow.

Most of the stuff doesn’t hold up at all like A Team.

Cheers, Family Ties and early Magnum PI still hold up. I’ve watched a few episodes on streaming sites.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:29 AM 09-02-2019
Originally Posted by Nzoner:

Most excellent choices, loved them both myself, particularly MV... I used to try so hard to look like Sonny Crockett

Cream colored and pastel blue jackets, the slacks and loafers with no socks... oh yeah, lol

Crime Story was good too, iirc it was by the same people who did MV... Dennis Farina was a very underrated actor
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:37 AM 09-02-2019
Originally Posted by Nzoner:

I sure miss all the elaborate openings with theme songs....They dont really do these much anymore.

[Reply]
Easy 6 11:52 AM 09-02-2019
The Fall Guy
WKRP in Cincinnati
Love Boat
Fantasy Island
[Reply]
banecat 12:35 PM 09-02-2019
Hill Street Blues
Small Wonder
[Reply]
DeepPurple 12:36 PM 09-02-2019
In the 80's I was a GS13 with the FAA and got fired for striking by the President. I opened and operated a record store for 5 years. I got divorced after 11 years of marriage. Got remarried, lived in Savannah, Atlanta, Spring Hill Florida and Baltimore. I was really kind of busy in the 80's, spent a lot of time in bars. I did watch four shows. Moonlighting, Miami Vice, Bob Newhart and my guilty pleasure Designing Woman. I did watch Murphy Brown but I think that was more 90's. I tried to watch the new MB last year, and I turned it off after 5 minutes.

[Reply]
Easy 6 12:37 PM 09-02-2019
Originally Posted by banecat:
Hill Street Blues
“Be careful out there”
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up