« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Willie Gay Jr. Thread*****
Dante84 07:30 PM 04-24-2020
More to come!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
htismaqe 04:26 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I hope they have WGJ spying Jackson most of the game.

That’s kinda why they drafted him. His athleticism against teams like Baltimore.
It's not just about chasing people down. He's got to play within the scheme. Breakdowns will lead to big plays.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:45 PM 09-25-2020
While I believe that we'll probably see some of Willie during Monday's game, I think it might be at least a year, maybe even two before he sees significant time on the field.

Here's why (IMO):

Willie doesn't have a lot of experience at the position in the first place. So he just doesn't have a lot of skills that most LBs have coming into the NFL. He's starting from behind the curve.

Spags defense is fairly complex at the LB position. And Gay didn't get the benefit of a real preseason with normal OTAs, mini-camp and preseason game snaps to see how it's all put together.

Without the aforementioned snaps and experience, there's not much trust for what Gay will do on the field yet. Not from the coaches and not from the players either. That will also take some time.

We're just going to have to understand that we need to be patient.
[Reply]
BossChief 05:09 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
While I believe that we'll probably see some of Willie during Monday's game, I think it might be at least a year, maybe even two before he sees significant time on the field.

Here's why (IMO):

Willie doesn't have a lot of experience at the position in the first place. So he just doesn't have a lot of skills that most LBs have coming into the NFL. He's starting from behind the curve.

Spags defense is fairly complex at the LB position. And Gay didn't get the benefit of a real preseason with normal OTAs, mini-camp and preseason game snaps to see how it's all put together.

Without the aforementioned snaps and experience, there's not much trust for what Gay will do on the field yet. Not from the coaches and not from the players either. That will also take some time.

We're just going to have to understand that we need to be patient.
No way it takes that long. He doesn’t have to be perfect, he just needs to be better than the guys he’s competing against. Once he gets the communication down, skys the limit.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:17 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
No way it takes that long. He doesn’t have to be perfect, he just needs to be better than the guys he’s competing against. Once he gets the communication down, skys the limit.
It's possible. I'm taking the worst case scenario basically. My point is that he's a literal project, and project's take time. So all I'm saying is that it won't surprise me if he's not ready to be a starter this season. Or even next season.

But if he finishes this season getting say, 15-20 snaps a game that'd be pretty huge. Personally I think it would be good progress if he got 10-15 snaps a game in the last quarter of the season.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:44 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
It's possible. I'm taking the worst case scenario basically. My point is that he's a literal project, and project's take time. So all I'm saying is that it won't surprise me if he's not ready to be a starter this season. Or even next season.

But if he finishes this season getting say, 15-20 snaps a game that'd be pretty huge. Personally I think it would be good progress if he got 10-15 snaps a game in the last quarter of the season.
We have to trust the coaches. They're all wearing rings for a reason.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:05 PM 09-25-2020
Gay can do 2 things right now. Rush the passer and drop into coverage. He's not a traditional LB in space. Let him do what he does. He can change a game with only 30 percent snaps.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Gay can do 2 things right now. Rush the passer and drop into coverage. He's not a traditional LB in space. Let him do what he does. He can change a game with only 30 percent snaps.
Especially if he makes a bad read and gives up a touchdown or something.

He'll play when he's ready.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:29 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Especially if he makes a bad read and gives up a touchdown or something.

He'll play when he's ready.
What’s the worst that could happen? He blows a huge assignment on a pass to the flat to the RB?

Doesn’t get to the correct ball carrier in time?

Misses a shitload of easy tackles and assignments?

Makes an irresponsible lounge tackle and knocks himself out of the game?

Every single LB we have made this mistakes last Sunday.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 PM 09-25-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
What’s the worst that could happen? He blows a huge assignment on a pass to the flat to the RB?

Doesn’t get to the correct ball carrier in time?

Misses a shitload of easy tackles and assignments?

Makes an irresponsible lounge tackle and knocks himself out of the game?

Every single LB we have made this mistakes last Sunday.
He can always, always be worse. You should know better than to make broad proclamations like that by now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:53 PM 09-25-2020
But yeah, let's start 2nd-guessing the coaches 3 games after they won the fucking Super Bowl. Damn COVID made them completely forget everything they knew about football.
[Reply]
Chargem 04:40 AM 09-26-2020
But yeah, let's start 2nd-guessing the coaches 3 games after they won the fucking Super Bowl. Damn COVID made them completely forget everything they knew about football.
I mean, I do sort of agree with the sentiment but if we just blindly agreed with the coaches all the time then this place wouldn't exist.

It's a valid point that the LBs have been so garbage these first two games that its not really possible to play much worse than they have.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 06:30 AM 09-26-2020
Yes sir. This is a good point. Spags is wearing two rings at that.
[Reply]
Icon 06:54 AM 09-26-2020
I wonder if Dorian O'Daniel can't play due to his recent injury whether Gay (with his speed) may take his spot as the QB spy on obvious passing downs. This role is more important with Lamar Jackson at QB.
[Reply]
TEX 06:58 AM 09-26-2020
Exactly, and Spags is wearing TWO. :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 07:51 AM 09-26-2020
But yeah, let's start 2nd-guessing the coaches 3 games after they won the ****ing Super Bowl. Damn COVID made them completely forget everything they knew about football.
Not 2nd guessing coaches. Just the players at LB.

I’m 1 million % sure they are doing everything possible to get Willie on the field ASAP. They know how catastrophic our LB core has been.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 49
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Up