ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>We gotta talk about this UDFA class.
Direckshun 11:47 AM 05-13-2020
The amount of skill and potential from this UDFA class the Chiefs secures is as good as any I’ve ever seen for any team. It’s possible we land three starters from this group, and end up with up to seven guys that contribute regularly over the next three years.

How the hell did Veach do this?

Give us your thoughts on individual players from the UDFA class. Veach needs to knock it out of the park like this every year.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:50 AM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
The amount of skill and potential from this UDFA class the Chiefs secures is as good as any I’ve ever seen for any team. It’s possible we land three starters from this group, and end up with up to seven guys that contribute regularly over the next three years.

How the hell did Veach do this?

Give us your thoughts on individual players from the UDFA class. Veach needs to knock it out of the park like this every year.
Impossible! I was told no UDFA's would want to sign here :-)

Yeah, it's hard to make a judgment on an UDFA class because these are generally under the radar guys, but by any measure I can find, Veach absolutely crushed it. Only time can tell but there's a distinct possibility that Veach will further distance himself from some other GMs in this league w/ this UDFA class.

This is an excellent opportunity to show off a bit if you're truly exceptional. Could turn out that Veach is precisely that.
[Reply]
O.city 11:56 AM 05-13-2020
Who are the 3 potential starters?
[Reply]
staylor26 12:09 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Who are the 3 potential starters?
My guess as to who he’s referring to:

Williams, Wright, and Hill/Davis?
[Reply]
RunKC 12:25 PM 05-13-2020
Here is Gil Brandt’s undrafted rankings:

https://amp.nfl.com/news/top-undraft...3EAEAEA&sr=amp

Kalija Lipscomb WR, Yasir Durant OT and Javaris Davis CB were the best undrafted pickups at their position on this list. Darryl Williams IOL was 2nd on his positional list.

I’m a bit bummed we didn’t get Benito Jones. He looked like a very similar player to Derrick Nnandi but with ascending pass rush talent.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:27 PM 05-13-2020
Williams and Townsend are likely starters, and then we have like three other guys in Durant, Wright, and Clemons who I think, among them, we’ll rope in a starter.

That doesn’t even include Lipscomb, Boccelli, Hill, and Javaris Davis.

This UDFA class is like 5 additional day three picks that we got for free, cap-wise.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:45 PM 05-13-2020
Williams and Townsend are likely starters, and then we have like three other guys in Durant, Wright, and Clemons who I think, among them, we’ll rope in a starter.

That doesn’t even include Lipscomb, Boccelli, Hill, and Javaris Davis.

This UDFA class is like 5 additional day three picks that we got for free, cap-wise.
I really do like what they've done throwing options at the IOL in the last couple of years. I even thought the GM's kid out of TN was a solid gamble (McKenzie?).

Williams is someone that I forget about a lot but he's damn intriguing. Durant isn't someone I see every playing LT at this level but with some luck he might be a good long-term replacement for someone like Remmers. They clearly have an approach here and it's just churning through as many toolsy options as possible in the hopes that 2 or 3 of them stick.

My big worry there isn't even Veach or the coaching staff writ large - it's Andy. He is so reluctant to make changes on his OL in-season. Guys that are clearly struggling will hang onto that starters gig like grim death. I'm not sure Rankin or Wiz ever get a legit shot without the injuries on the interior despite Wylie's struggles. It also makes me worry that Reiter is pretty much a lead pipe lock to hold that job at C absent injury.

Continuity is just such an overriding factor for Red that I'm curious how any of these developmental projects will get a look. The DBs get turned over a bit and LBs get a little as well, but he just doesn't rotate his OL much.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:00 PM 05-13-2020
I actually don’t think any of them, except Townsend, get any shot on the field in 2020.

We’re going to need to develop these guys for 2021, though.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:14 PM 05-13-2020
I actually don’t think any of them, except Townsend, get any shot on the field in 2020.

We’re going to need to develop these guys for 2021, though.
No doubt - like I said in your other thread, year 1 contributions from 3rd day picks (let alone UDFAs) are happy accidents - you definitely can't count on them.

I could see one of the DBs getting pressed into action early due to the Breeland suspension, if only in a STs role. And maybe working that Fenton/Ward track to late season relevance. A handful of interesting LBs that could unseat someone like Niemann given Spags affinity for more physical LBs and our relative lack of depth.

But yeah, these are loooooong shots to be sure.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:25 PM 05-13-2020
Maybe Wright?

He’s got the least amount of resistance ahead of him. He is basically a smaller Ragland, so if we lose Wilson or lose Gay and Wilson has to slide back over...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:29 PM 05-13-2020
Maybe Wright?

He’s got the least amount of resistance ahead of him. He is basically a smaller Ragland, so if we lose Wilson or lose Gay and Wilson has to slide back over...
Wright also seems, in my INCREDIBLY poorly informed opinion, to play a simpler style that would translate more quickly than Gay's.

I don't think its likely, but Wright may hit the ground more NFL ready than Gay while Gay tries to knock off some rust and/or smooth out some of the rough edges in his game. He's still a little prone to wasted movement and false steps that make him play slower than his speed at times.

Wright is much more 'see ball, hit ball' in a way that lowers his ceiling but makes his floor a little higher out of the chute.

Ultimately they have a lot of capital in Gay so I'd be shocked if it worked out that way, but there's something to be noted in simplicity for young players.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:38 PM 05-13-2020
I think that’s fair. The job we’d be giving him would be a lot simpler than the job we’re giving Gay.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:38 AM 05-16-2020
This season, if played, will have an absolutely minimal amount of turnover for this Chiefs team for a few relevant reasons.

1. There will be extremely limited amounts of practice time leading up to the season.
2. The offense usually takes a year or 2 to get the playbook and sight adjustments down under normal conditions.
3. Spags defense is also complex and takes time to learn. I don’t think many rookies are going to jump into starting jobs when this defense was really gelling down the stretch and in the postseason.
4. We just won the Super Bowl and are returning most of the starters from a championship roster.

Rookies that I think will be starters within the first 8 games:

CEH
Gay
Possibly Niang at LG

I think everyone else gets a red shirt.
[Reply]
Wilson8 12:26 PM 05-16-2020
I think KC got some really good UDFA signings.

Brett Veach's use of guaranteed money was also interesting. You can tell some of the players the Chiefs really wanted by the guaranteed money amount.

WR Kalija Lipscomb, Vanderbilt, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

OT Yasir Durant, Missouri, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $140,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

C Darryl Williams, Mississippi State, $2,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Lavert Hill, Michigan, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

P Tommy Townsend, Florida, $2,500 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $75,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Cody White, Michigan State, $2,500 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $30,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

LB Omari Cobb, Marshall, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $40,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Javaris Davis Auburn, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $10,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

S Rodney Clemons, SMU, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $8,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

LB Bryan Wright, Cincinnati, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $10,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

DE Tershawn Wharton, Missouri S & T, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

G Jovahn Fair, Temple, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Jalen Julius, Mississippi, $1,000 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $5,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Hakeem Bailey, West Virginia, $1,000 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Justice Shelton-Mosley, Vanderbilt, $833 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Andre Baccellia, Washington, $833 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $12,500 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Maurice Ffrench, Pittsburgh, $833 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $2,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Aleva Hifo, BYU, $333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

The last year of the prorated bonus might have a dollar or two added to make the total an even amount. Example Hifo was actually $333, $333, and $334 to make an even $1000 of bonus.

QB Shea Patterson, Michigan, received no bonus and no guaranteed money.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 11:10 AM 05-17-2020
Durant is a future staple at tackle after our guys move on.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up