ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 377 of 386
« First < 277327367373374375376377 378379380381 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:23 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Were Sansa’s chapters the ones that would spend pages describing food and colors of clothing and shit? Or was that Catelyn?
100’s of pages. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 06:30 PM 06-06-2019
Were Sansa’s chapters the ones that would spend pages describing food and colors of clothing and shit? Or was that Catelyn?
Well, that was pretty much all of them. The only difference is that chapters about Jon, Arya and Tyrion were backed up by interesting characters.

IIRC, since it's been eight fucking years since I read the last book (fuck you Martin), book Sansa is still in the Eyrie, and all the shit that happened to her in Winterfell is happening to a minor character who has been passed off by the Boltons as Arya. Sansa is still just a weepy, whiny do-nothing.

Ned should have spared the direwolf and killed her.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:42 PM 06-06-2019
Rewatching the series there is a lot of shit that could easily be cut out of each season.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:54 PM 06-06-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Rewatching the series there is a lot of shit that could easily be cut out of each season.
Like what?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:43 PM 06-06-2019
Like what?
Anything involving Dorne after Oberyn getting his head crushed was pointless.

All of the intrigue about the Iron Bank was pointless.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:32 PM 06-07-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Well, that was pretty much all of them. The only difference is that chapters about Jon, Arya and Tyrion were backed up by interesting characters.

IIRC, since it's been eight ****ing years since I read the last book (**** you Martin), book Sansa is still in the Eyrie, and all the shit that happened to her in Winterfell is happening to a minor character who has been passed off by the Boltons as Arya. Sansa is still just a weepy, whiny do-nothing.

Ned should have spared the direwolf and killed her.
This.

Every character gave us pages of descriptions of food, clothing, armor, room decorations. On and on. Like Southpark's portrayal of GRRM as penis fixated, dude goes on some serious tangents.

At least I think he did. I was a much younger man the last time he put out a new book in the series.
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 12:49 PM 06-07-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
This.

Every character gave us pages of descriptions of food, clothing, armor, room decorations. On and on. Like Southpark's portrayal of GRRM as penis fixated, dude goes on some serious tangents.

At least I think he did. I was a much younger man the last time he put out a new book in the series.
This might be unpopular, but I think he's a pretty hack writer.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:42 PM 06-07-2019
Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs:
In what sense?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:47 PM 06-07-2019
Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs:
The Dune comparisons should be even more apparent if Season 8 was as faithful as could be to his outline.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:04 PM 06-07-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
The Dune comparisons should be even more apparent if Season 8 was as faithful as could be to his outline.
Well, Martin did flat out steal Duke Leto and rebrand him as Ned Stark.

As far as the books go, though, Dune started going downhill immediately, whereas Martin's books stayed consistent through the third one (the fourth and fifth dropped off quite a bit). The Dune books got so fucking weird that they became unreadable - turning the hero into some whacked out religious Hitler was probably not the best direction to take the series. I tried off and on, without success, to get through God Emperor of Dune for 30 years before I finally just gave up. Frank Herbert was the M. Night Shyamalan of science fiction - he wrote one of the greatest masterpieces of all time and then slowly coasted into the shitter.

I did enjoy the follow-up books set in the Dune universe written by Herbert's son, though.
[Reply]
Fish 10:16 AM 06-14-2019
I like this alternate ending...

[Reply]
Frazod 11:20 AM 06-14-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
I like this alternate ending...

:-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:37 PM 06-14-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Well, Martin did flat out steal Duke Leto and rebrand him as Ned Stark.

As far as the books go, though, Dune started going downhill immediately, whereas Martin's books stayed consistent through the third one (the fourth and fifth dropped off quite a bit). The Dune books got so ****ing weird that they became unreadable - turning the hero into some whacked out religious Hitler was probably not the best direction to take the series. I tried off and on, without success, to get through God Emperor of Dune for 30 years before I finally just gave up. Frank Herbert was the M. Night Shyamalan of science fiction - he wrote one of the greatest masterpieces of all time and then slowly coasted into the shitter.

I did enjoy the follow-up books set in the Dune universe written by Herbert's son, though.
Those books by his kid and Kevin J. Anderson were some of the worst books I've ever read. They're immeasurably worse than Lynch's movie. Just god awful.

The first 3 Dune books are pretty great, although nothing matches up with the first one. They get progressively more difficult to digest after that. I agree with you on God Emperor. It was one of my first real "wtf is this shit" experiences as a teen. Although I haven't tried in at least ten years, so my perspective may be different now.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:31 PM 06-14-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Those books by his kid and Kevin J. Anderson were some of the worst books I've ever read. They're immeasurably worse than Lynch's movie. Just god awful.

The first 3 Dune books are pretty great, although nothing matches up with the first one. They get progressively more difficult to digest after that. I agree with you on God Emperor. It was one of my first real "wtf is this shit" experiences as a teen. Although I haven't tried in at least ten years, so my perspective may be different now.
Meh. I liked them. You suck. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:44 PM 06-15-2019
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 377 of 386
« First < 277327367373374375376377 378379380381 > Last »
Up