Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:18 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by Miles:
Holland hasn't given up a run yet. Want him back?
Bring him in for a look?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:24 AM 08-18-2018
Where's the love for Wong's play lately? That bases loaded hit to put the game away was happening when he hit .285. Taking that outside pitch to LF instead of trying to hit home run on every swing.

He stays in this grove, he's an All-Star. If he can hit .280 with that defense, I don't know what his WAR would be but, it has to a lot better than what he was in the 1st half. That is the kind of player that would allow us to compete again for a WS.
[Reply]
VAChief 10:37 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Where's the love for Wong's play lately? That bases loaded hit to put the game away was happening when he hit .285. Taking that outside pitch to LF instead of trying to hit home run on every swing.

He stays in this grove, he's an All-Star. If he can hit .280 with that defense, I don't know what his WAR would be but, it has to a lot better than what he was in the 1st half. That is the kind of player that would allow us to compete again for a WS.
His overall WAR is 3.1 right now. Last year it was 1.8, the difference is his defensive WAR is 2.0 and last year it was 0.1.

It seems and we have no way of knowing for sure, that maybe he took his defense a little more seriously when he was struggling so much offensively. Hopefully if his offense continues to improve he won't regress and lose focus defensively like he had a tendency to do in past years. He has always had this ability, but he hasn't had the run of consistency defensively that he has shown this year.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:44 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:
His overall WAR is 3.1 right now. Last year it was 1.8, the difference is his defensive WAR is 2.0 and last year it was 0.1.

It seems and we have no way of knowing for sure, that maybe he took his defense a little more seriously when he was struggling so much offensively. Hopefully if his offense continues to improve he won't regress and lose focus defensively like he had a tendency to do in past years. He has always had this ability, but he hasn't had the run of consistency defensively that he has shown this year.
One thing to watch w/ defensive metrics is that there is often so much variance in them from year to year that it's better to take a three year rolling average to determine someone's defense. For example, if you look at Trout's, you'll see a year where he was -4.5 runs in defense, then 6.6, 4.3, then down to -3.5 again. There's too much variance in the numbers to take them as representative a single season at a time. If you look at it overall, it probably paints a more accurate picture that he's worth about an extra 0.5 runs per year compared to the average baseball player playing defense (remember, that these aren't just averaged against the person playing his position in Fangraphs, so he's not -4.5 runs worse than a center fielder).
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:03 PM 08-18-2018
You still like giving up your young talent for Archer?
I think we missed the bulleye. :-)

Glasnow needed a change of scenery. Honestly, I think Searage is out of tricks. Cole and Morton have looked fabulous with Houston.

Baz hurts. That was too much. Meadows and Glasnow were enough.

And honestly, losing the young talent didn't cost us the last two games. Silent bats did.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:45 PM 08-18-2018
I don't see anyone getting in the way of Colorado winning the NL - they're so damned good! of course plenty can find a hot enough streak to beat them, but dayuuumm!! That D! That O!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:45 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I don't see anyone getting in the way of Colorado winning the NL - they're so damned good! of course plenty can find a hot enough streak to beat them, but dayuuumm!! That D! That O!
Pffffttttt, we smoked last time we played them a couple of weeks ago. They are beatable.

But, whoever comes out of the NL will get smoked by the AL team in the WS.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 07:22 PM 08-18-2018
Colorado won’t even make the playoffs.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:15 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
dumb
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:17 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
As of today, we have a spot in the playoffs. Did not see that coming. This turn around is amazing. :-)
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:17 PM 08-18-2018
Pffffttttt, we smoked last time we played them a couple of weeks ago. They are beatable.

But, whoever comes out of the NL will get smoked by the AL team in the WS.
probably - but, that's never as much of a lock as it's seemed (in recent days)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:19 PM 08-18-2018
Bader has the looks, the hair and smile to get national commercials if he can become a more consistent hitter.

Bae pic.twitter.com/l0E99UG3VS

— Birds on the Black (@birdsontheblack) August 19, 2018

[Reply]
Simply Red 08:19 PM 08-18-2018
As of today, we have a spot in the playoffs. Did not see that coming. This turn around is amazing. :-)
please don't ambush me here - but I think the Rockies are better than both the Braves and Cards. Hell I think they're better than the D'backs and DOY'ers. No offense for real! they're just so stacked and play superb D.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:23 PM 08-18-2018
dumb
well the W/C doesn't lay out favorably for them - but I'd be somewhat surprised if they didn't win the West. 1.5 games isn't the end of the world for them - you may be right - i retract my 'dumb' comment. we shall see - that's a super interesting division. Awfully solid, that west.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:25 PM 08-18-2018
please don't ambush me here - but I think the Rockies are better than both the Braves and Cards. Hell I think they're better than the D'backs and DOY'ers. No offense for real! they're just so stacked and play superb D.
ive not seen the Rockies play except against us. They looked like shit when we took 3/4 from them. Maybe it was just a bad stretch of games for them? :-)
[Reply]
Page 199 of 301
« First < 99149189195196197198199 200201202203209249299 > Last »
Up