ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 201 of 382
« First < 101151191197198199200201 202203204205211251301 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
TimBone 08:09 PM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Yep. Humble to be exact.
Reason I asked is this, have you tried anything from Buffalo Bayou Brewing? If you get a chance, you might want to head down to their brewery on a Saturday morning. They have a gingerbread stout this time of year that is fantastic on tap.

You can also get a bottle of it at Spec's right now. Not as good as on tap, but it's still pretty dang good. I don't care a whole lot for stouts, but that and pumpkinator are two great stouts from Texas.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:11 PM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by TimBone:
Umble, as it's pronounced. lol. Oddly enough, I learned that during an NFL broadcast after having been to the city over 100 times.
I just roll with it. I have lived in Western Washington and rural southeast Virginia which both have hard to pronounce names. Washington was Indian origin and Virginia was part Indian and part 17th century Scottish/British.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:13 PM 11-07-2015
Reason I asked is this, have you tried anything from Buffalo Bayou Brewing? If you get a chance, you might want to head down to their brewery on a Saturday morning. They have a gingerbread stout this time of year that is fantastic on tap.

You can also get a bottle of it at Spec's right now. Not as good as on tap, but it's still pretty dang good. I don't care a whole lot for stouts, but that and pumpkinator are two great stouts from Texas.
Nothing from Buffalo Bayou yet. I saw that my local HEB had Smoke on the Bayou and I am a fan of porters in general. I liked Stone's Smoked Porter and I am not a big fan of Stone's output in general.
[Reply]
TimBone 08:25 PM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Nothing from Buffalo Bayou yet. I saw that my local HEB had Smoke on the Bayou and I am a fan of porters in general. I liked Stone's Smoked Porter and I am not a big fan of Stone's output in general.
Smoke on the Bayou was the first Buffalo Bayou beer I had, and I enjoyed it. I believe it's a Wee Heavy alle, though. Their More Cowbell and Meer Koebel are good for Texas IPA's if you like IPA's. And the Saigon Sunset is a highly rated Porter, but I haven't had it. Anyways, I just saw you mention stouts earlier, and your post hinted to me that you were in the Houston area, so I thought I'd tell you about that gingerbread stout in case it was up your alley.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:38 PM 11-07-2015
Smoke on the Bayou was the first Buffalo Bayou beer I had, and I enjoyed it. I believe it's a Wee Heavy alle, though. Their More Cowbell and Meer Koebel are good for Texas IPA's if you like IPA's. And the Saigon Sunset is a highly rated Porter, but I haven't had it. Anyways, I just saw you mention stouts earlier, and your post hinted to me that you were in the Houston area, so I thought I'd tell you about that gingerbread stout in case it was up your alley.
I tend to prefer darker malty beers. I do like Hefes, Kolschs, and blonde ales though. I tend to not like the hoppy bitterness.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 03:45 PM 11-08-2015
Royal Standard was good. I have had it before. It is a nice wee heavy ale with a bit of floral in the back. It is 10% ABV but you won't taste it.

Santo is a dark beer that is easy drinking. Not much taste up front but a slight bitterness. The back has the malty flavor one expects from a darker beer. A dark session beer to go with spicy food.

Karbach Oktoberfest was a disappointment. Just tasted like a regular mass produced lager. It didn't have the maltiness and body you would expect from a German marzen or the sweetness of an Austrian.
[Reply]
Shag 04:16 PM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
The Parabola stout, while incredible, is an extremely limited release. If you're a member of Randall's club, you can probably get some that way.
Don't forget about Sucaba - incredible beer. And Stickee Monkey. And Helldorado. And Velvet Merkin. And Double DBA.

FW's barrel aged program is amazing. Wish I could get it here.
[Reply]
Marcellus 04:22 PM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by Shag:
Don't forget about Sucaba - incredible beer. And Stickee Monkey. And Helldorado. And Velvet Merkin. And Double DBA.

FW's barrel aged program is amazing. Wish I could get it here.
Velvet Merkin :-)

What a great fucking name for a beer.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:45 AM 11-20-2015
Finally got to cross Speedway Stout off the list with Alesmith's Chicago distro.

Probably should have saved it for the 5" of snow they're calling for tomorrow though.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:19 PM 11-20-2015
What the fuck is so special about Sam Adams Utopias that it warrants a $200 a bottle price tag?
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:54 AM 11-21-2015
A number of FW kegs tapped in Chicago. Got a 6oz pour of XIX Anniversary.

Some Bourbon County kegs being tapped as well in anticipation of black Friday. Had a 6 oz of BC vanilla rye last night.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:01 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Surprised you didn't see them if you were at Randall's. For a long time the Double Jack was my go to, year round available, ipa. The Wookey Jack is an awesome black ipa. If you shop at Costco, you can usually find those 2 there for a decent price.

The Parabola stout, while incredible, is an extremely limited release. If you're a member of Randall's club, you can probably get some that way.
No Double Jack at either Randall's location last night, but did find it at Lukas, along with a few bottles of BBQ.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:57 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:
What the fuck is so special about Sam Adams Utopias that it warrants a $200 a bottle price tag?
If you like Port, it's pretty good... not $200 good, but still. I split the price of a bottle after seeing it in Omaha of all places, and I think we got five 3-4oz pours out of it each. I thought it was clearly better than some of the $30-50/10-20yr Port I've purchased since, granted there's also a lot more to drink.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:02 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Some Bourbon County kegs being tapped as well in anticipation of black Friday. Had a 6 oz of BC vanilla rye last night.
Not sure I'll even try this year... stores sell the single bottles of the four packs with a limit of one per customer. It was a big deal to me a few years ago, but there's too much good beer these days to drive all around town to pay $20 for a couple of 12oz bottles.

That said, if you have any extras.... :-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:11 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Not sure I'll even try this year... stores sell the single bottles of the four packs with a limit of one per customer. It was a big deal to me a few years ago, but there's too much good beer these days to drive all around town to pay $20 for a couple of 12oz bottles.

That said, if you have any extras.... :-)
They moved to 16.9 oz bottles this year to get more $$$ per oz. I'm not waiting in line for it, not because I'm too cool, but there's some outstanding stouts readily available here. I didn't realize people camp out the night before at the Lincoln Park Binny's. I do have an insider spot near me that apparently gets overlooked that I'll check out on Black Friday, but I'm not making a huge effort. I'll mostly be looking for a Rare which has been aged for 2 years in 35-year-old Heaven Hill whiskey barrels or the Proprietor's.

I can survive off the 3 Floyd's Wig Splitter coffee stouts I've accumulated.
[Reply]
Page 201 of 382
« First < 101151191197198199200201 202203204205211251301 > Last »
Up