ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 46 of 3903
« First < 364243444546 4748495056961465461046 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Frosty 04:00 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Me too.
About 80% in the winter on average. Higher (which is normal when the air cools) but still nowhere near Houston as loochy claimed.
[Reply]
MagicHef 04:18 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Frosty:
About 80% in the winter on average. Higher (which is normal when the air cools) but still nowhere near Houston as loochy claimed.

[Reply]
loochy 04:32 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:

It rains every damn day there. How would it not be humid?
[Reply]
banyon 04:37 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
So Ive done the research now to see how this effects people 18 to 50 compared to older people.

If Covid-19 infected as many people under 50 as the flu every year, then roughly 18,000 more would die each year.

It appears Covid-19 is about 5x as deadly to people under 50 as the regular flu. But the flu isn't really deadly for us to begin with. So there is almost no reason to care about the population in this age group. When you consider that this age group still accounts for some middle aged ppl with underlying conditions like hypertension, diabetes then one can conclude that the flu or covid-19 is almost of no concern to a normal healthy adult, almost at all.

Now it appears Covid-19 is 15x to 20x as lethal to those 65 years+ than the regular flu, which is already pretty devasting to begin with for that population. ESPECIALLY for those over 80.

My grandma got the regular flu at 90, then got pneumonia and died. Its always been a big concern for the elderly and covid 19 is exponentially worse unfortunately. Makes you wonder why nursing homes even exist to put old ppl in close proximity to each other. One would think with a dwindling immune system you should avoid close contact with ppl.

Conclusion, make all of the old ppl stay inside and watch Matlock and Wheel of Fortune. Be completely indifferent if anyone under 50 gets it unless they have an underlying condition. And it has already been established that for some reason Covid-19 not only is very mild on children but they don't even contract it at near the rate of the rest of the population.

Based on CDC flu numbers compared to known mortality rate of different age groups of Covid19: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm
This all seems accurate to me. But single strand RNA viruses are prone to mutation, so things could change. For an indicator, look what happened with Spanish Flu in the Summer/Fall of 1918.
[Reply]
TLO 06:21 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by banyon:
This all seems accurate to me. But single strand RNA viruses are prone to mutation, so things could change. For an indicator, look what happened with Spanish Flu in the Summer/Fall of 1918.
Did the virus mutate then or did it simply come back after the summer? I've never done much research on the topic.
[Reply]
TLO 06:23 PM 03-04-2020
I also mentioned this in the DC thread, but I'm officially more worried about the ensuing public panic than I am about the actual virus. People are nuts.
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:46 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I also mentioned this in the DC thread, but I'm officially more worried about the ensuing public panic than I am about the actual virus. People are nuts.
Hoarding toilet paper in a time of crisis is perfectly rational!
[Reply]
suzzer99 06:46 PM 03-04-2020
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Great site to track stats and progression.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...e-tot-outchina

[Reply]
banyon 06:51 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Did the virus mutate then or did it simply come back after the summer? I've never done much research on the topic.
There was a mutation which increased mortality in late summer after many governments had declared victory.

I listened to this audiobook on kindle very good info on that pandemic:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Very-Very...ook/B077TZXDGQ
[Reply]
DaFace 07:08 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
We are a team of medical experts following COVID-19's progression closely. Ask Us Anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...rts_following/
There's some good stuff in there. A few that stood out to me:

Originally Posted by :
The spectrum of disease still being defined but ~80% of people have mild disease and around 20% moderate to severe disease that requires hospitalization. - Dr. Carlos Del Rio
Originally Posted by :
It is possible to stay uninfected! Yesterday in a press briefing, Dr. Nancy Messonnier at the CDC said that the secondary attack rate among family members of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the U.S. is 10.5% so far. So that means that about 1 in 10 family members who have been exposed by a relative have gotten sick.

If you or a loved one gets sick, the advice I’ve seen from public health officials is to try to put a mask on them (that may be hard, given the scarcity of masks in the U.S. right now), and isolate them from others. The recommendation is to try to have them use their own bedroom and bathroom separately from the rest of the family. Of course, wash your hands and disinfect common contact surfaces frequently. - Brenda Goodman
Originally Posted by :
Q: Will this end anytime soon(like in 2-3 years)? Or we will get used to it.
A: This remains an open question. It is possible, for instance, that the virus moves quickly across the globe and ultimately burns itself out. Or, this virus can become what we refer to as ‘endemic’ and becomes a part of our normal repertoire of viruses we have to contend with each year. This was, for instance, the case with H1N1. The virus emerged in 2009 and spread across the globe infecting many millions. Now, it has become part of the repertoire of viruses we expect to deal with each year - and vaccines are in development to help tackle the virus. Time will tell what course this particular virus takes. - Michael Mina, MD, PhD
Originally Posted by :
The most common symptoms according to the WHO are: fever, tiredness, and dry cough. There are some reports of aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat, and diarrhea. (They seem to be mild and progress gradually - which seems somewhat different than flu, which can “hit you like a ton of brick” and cause rapid onset of symptoms - but again information is still evolving.)

Some people who are infected don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell at all. Most people (about 80%) recover without any specific treatment. For those that get severely ill, they can also have trouble breathing.

At this time we know it can be transmitted through droplets when someone sneezes or coughs- especially within 6 feet of you. And these droplets can survive on surfaces (so touching your eye/nose/mouth after touching surface that is contaminated can also spread infection. There are also some reports of fecal transmission. - Neha Pathak, MD
Originally Posted by :
Q: Why should I worry or not worry? I see panic from some and total calm from others
A: I think it is important to 1) take this seriously and stay aware of the global and local situation, 2) be prepared, and 3) of course, not panic.

For many there are excellent local (e.g. at the city, state, province level) online resources that will let you know about what is happening with regards to the COVID-19 epidemic and response. Local public health websites tend to have good information on this. For a more global perspective, the WHO has a terrific website and even has a “myth busting” section where some of the more alarmist or conspiracy theory type issues are addressed (link below):

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...c/myth-busters

Knowledge and preparation guided by quality data will alleviate fear, anxiety, and panic. - Isaac Bogoch, MD

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:18 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by banyon:
There was a mutation which increased mortality in late summer after many governments had declared victory.

I listened to this audiobook on kindle very good info on that pandemic:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Very-Very...ook/B077TZXDGQ
1918. Everyone thought it was over in the summer. In the month of October alone 200K Americans died from the virus.
[Reply]
cdcox 08:30 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by :
around 20% moderate to severe disease that requires hospitalization.
That has the potential to be a lot of hospital beds. King county (Seattle) has bought a hotel to isolate people who don't require hospitalization to preserve hospital beds for the truly sick.
[Reply]
TLO 08:36 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
That has the potential to be a lot of hospital beds. King county (Seattle) has bought a hotel to isolate people who don't require hospitalization to preserve hospital beds for the truly sick.
I wonder if the "moderate" disease requires hospitalization? I think that's what it was saying, but I'm not certain.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:37 PM 03-04-2020
Just buy Charmin’s Forever Toilet Paper Roll... panic solved.

[Reply]
DaFace 08:44 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
There's another comment in there somewhere that touches on that point. Seems like local hospital capacity in the case of a big breakout is a very real concern.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 3903
« First < 364243444546 4748495056961465461046 > Last »
Up