ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2905 of 3903
« First < 1905240528052855289529012902290329042905 29062907290829092915295530053405 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 01:10 PM 08-25-2020
NFL chief medical officer Allen Sills said Monday that of the 23,260 COVID-19 tests administered to players from Aug. 12 to Aug. 20, there were no positives.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Sills added that there were also 35,137 COVID-19 tests given to personnel during that time, which yielded six new positives.
[Reply]
Donger 01:11 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Because they're young Gen Z'ers and by default weak, pampered, and narcissistic. Come on Donger, get with the program. :-)
I still don't see it. Perhaps Discuss is confusing these young people with those who refuse to wear a mask, or something.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:13 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I still don't see it. Perhaps Discuss is confusing these young people with those who refuse to wear a mask, or something.
I don't know the two individuals personally, only the mutual friend. But I have no sense that they were anti-maskers at all.

In fact, they were isolating themselves (perhaps being overly cautious) and it ate away at them until they couldn't handle it anymore.
[Reply]
Donger 01:15 PM 08-25-2020
I don't know the two individuals personally, only the mutual friend. But I have no sense that they were anti-maskers at all.

In fact, they were isolating themselves (perhaps being overly cautious) and it ate away at them until they couldn't handle it anymore.
That's terrible. I wish that they had spoken to someone and learned that it's perfectly safe to get out and about.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:18 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
That's terrible. I wish that they had spoken to someone and learned that it's perfectly safe to get out and about.
Many of the kids I've worked with already feel isolated to a great degree. They don't feel like there's anybody to talk to even when times are "normal". This is only my gut feeling but I expect these kids got to the point where they couldn't go outside even if they wanted to. It's a sort of social paralysis. And it's really, really hard to get them to trust anyone in a position of seniority (it took me months of continuous contact to get in with some of my kids) because they're used to psychological problems being dismissed as something that should be solved with the next super pill.
[Reply]
O.city 01:19 PM 08-25-2020
The worst part is that age group thats so upset and worried about Covid statistically are at zero risk from issues with it.
[Reply]
O.city 01:20 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
California floated a policy of 65+ and at risk people stay isolated while everything else stayed open. It lasted 2 days iirc. The 65+ people were not happy about it. And they vote, a lot.
Ok, so we're readily admitting this wasn't about "science" but about politics?
[Reply]
lewdog 01:21 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Maybe a rebalance of exposure would help. I mean we get daily updates from experts on the virus vs an every now again blip on the potential mental health effects. Which is on par for a country that struggles with valuing mental health even before covid. Plus all one has to do is up the periscope from their bunker or open a new web browser and search current news to see it playing out in real time.
Let’s not pretend to care about mental health now!

Many of those complaining about COVID mental health issues now, haven’t wanted to pay the taxes required to run these social programs efficiently for decades in the United States. But now that’s a reason to discredit any COVID precautions because “we care.”

This country’s mental health programs have been a joke for decades. I honestly hope COVID mental health issues actually provide a catalyst for changing this. Hopefully those beating that drum now aren’t just full of hot air and continue to push for change.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:22 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The worst part is that age group thats so upset and worried about Covid statistically are at zero risk from issues with it.
Very much so. The even worse part is that, while many of these kids are already socially isolated and introverted, another large segment of these kids are the hedonistic ones I mentioned earlier.

Many of those kids have already engaged in behavior FAR more dangerous than getting COVID but for some reason, their inhibition kicks in here where it never has before.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:25 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Many of those complaining about COVID mental health issues now, haven’t wanted to pay the taxes required to run these social programs efficiently for decades in the United States. But now that’s a reason to discredit any COVID precautions because “we care.”

This country’s mental health programs have been a joke for decades. I honestly hope COVID mental health issues actually provide a catalyst for changing this. Hopefully those beating that drum now aren’t just full of hot air and continue to push for change.
Not to take us down a rathole, but I think mental health REALLY needs to be a partnership between oversight by the government and feet on the ground in the communities, people like us that aren't necessarily getting paid.

It's not that we should allocate no money for the government to be involved, that's wrong. But we also shouldn't expect the government to just do it for us. Mental health is a community problem and I've seen first hand that the only way to get people help is to do it yourself, not wait for somebody in a position of power to do it.

As with most things, there needs to be a balance and balance is like one of the worst skills the US has right now.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:40 PM 08-25-2020
Because they're young Gen Z'ers and by default weak, pampered, and narcissistic. Come on Donger, get with the program. :-)
They weren't willing to make a sacrifice so they were selfish as my bolded edit should have made clear.

Pretty simple stuff here.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:42 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
They weren't willing to make a sacrifice so they were selfish as my bolded edit should have made clear.

They stayed inside so as to not expose anyone to potential infection. How is that selfish? That's like, the exact opposite of selfish. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 01:44 PM 08-25-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:

They did the exact opposite.

If you are trying to equate them with selfish anti-maskers, you are doing an absolutely atrocious job of it.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:46 PM 08-25-2020

I don't know of anyone bitching about having to spend any amount of tax money on mental health ever. Never in my entire life have I heard a comment to that effect. Hell its never been brought up before.

And not wanting to pay more in taxes does not = not wanting more tax $ to go to mental health causes. We waste plenty of money in other areas we could shift to mental health care.

To be blunt though, I don't think it would help much anyway, the bigger issue is people who need it usually don't want it. I know from family experience and I think its a fairly common occurrence. People don't like to believe they need mental help.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:53 PM 08-25-2020

Right but my point was that I'm not seeing many people even pretending to care when we're facing a potential crisis. I've read more about the .00001% possibility for long term respiratory damage in kids due to Covid than the mental health impacts on millions.
[Reply]
Page 2905 of 3903
« First < 1905240528052855289529012902290329042905 29062907290829092915295530053405 > Last »
Up