ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 165 of 173
« First < 65115155161162163164165 166167168169 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:52 AM 01-10-2024
Just started watching Slow Horses on Apple.

British Spy show w/ really dry humor. A group of MI5 washouts who get back-burnered at 'Slough House' are the main protagonists. It has a really good cast; Gary Oldman is the chief of Slough House and Kristin Scott Thomas is a major player as well. Jonathan Pryce shows up here and there.

Very good show. Needs a little attention or you can get a bit lost, but still really strong.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:11 AM 01-10-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Just started watching Slow Horses on Apple.

British Spy show w/ really dry humor. A group of MI5 washouts who get back-burnered at 'Slough House' are the main protagonists. It has a really good cast; Gary Oldman is the chief of Slough House and Kristin Scott Thomas is a major player as well. Jonathan Pryce shows up here and there.

Very good show. Needs a little attention or you can get a bit lost, but still really strong.
I’m an absolute homer for that show. At least S1. I didn’t like S2 as much, probably because some of the intrigue was figuring out the “world”. I need to watch S3.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:13 AM 01-10-2024
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I've been watching loudermilk on Netflix. It's an older show though but I think it's hilarious
Loudermilk used to be on Amazon. I watched S1 and liked it more than I thought I would - I think there is a post on here somewhere about it. I had no idea they released more seasons.

It’s been long enough I should rewatch S1 but I remember being surprised I liked it and the soundtrack was good. Thanks.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:16 AM 01-10-2024
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I’m an absolute homer for that show. At least S1. I didn’t like S2 as much, probably because some of the intrigue was figuring out the “world”. I need to watch S3.
I'm almost done with S1 and yeah, that 'intrigue' manifests itself as confusion for me about half the time.

"Wait...who the fuck are 'the dogs'..."

I did turn to my wife after about the third episode and said "Hey - we might have a problem here. I'm pretty sure I agree with the baddies. Or at the very least, I don't dislike them any worse than I do MI5..."

They're a little on the nose there...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:19 AM 01-10-2024
Loudermilk used to be on Amazon. I watched S1 and liked it more than I thought I would - I think there is a post on here somewhere about it. I had no idea they released more seasons.

It’s been long enough I should rewatch S1 but I remember being surprised I liked it and the soundtrack was good. Thanks.
Ron Livingston is just outstanding. And he's essentially playing Peter Gibbons about 10 years after Inatek and a crippling addiction.

I became a Livingston Season Ticket holder after Band of Brothers. Him, Karl Urban and Dominic Cooper - you cast any of those three and I'm watching it. They're just criminally underrated character/television actors.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:24 AM 01-10-2024
Big fan of Slow Horses

Great show
[Reply]
TambaBerry 10:07 AM 01-10-2024

I didn't know that, I am currently at the beginning of season 3 can't wait to finish it up. I do wonder if they closed it out or it got cancelled though.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:14 AM 01-10-2024
I didn't know that, I am currently at the beginning of season 3 can't wait to finish it up. I do wonder if they closed it out or it got cancelled though.
IMDB says Season 1 was released 2017, Season 2 was 2018, Season 3 2020. So I'm guessing it's all done.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:17 AM 01-10-2024
I'm almost done with S1 and yeah, that 'intrigue' manifests itself as confusion for me about half the time.

"Wait...who the fuck are 'the dogs'..."

I did turn to my wife after about the third episode and said "Hey - we might have a problem here. I'm pretty sure I agree with the baddies. Or at the very least, I don't dislike them any worse than I do MI5..."

They're a little on the nose there...
That's interesting.

I thought they did a good job of keeping the nuance in there. For a fair bit of it if I'm remembering correctly, I was thinking FUCK Jackson Lamb - what a motherfucker this douche is.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:45 AM 01-14-2024
Two good ones start tonight:

1. True Detective Night Country (Max) - only 6 episodes and reviews are that it’s the best since season 1 (which I think is the best season of any show ever). Obviously, Jodie Foster.
2. Monsieur Spade (AMC) - created by the guy who did Queen’s Gambit and starring Clive Owen.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:32 PM 01-14-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Two good ones start tonight:

1. True Detective Night Country (Max) - only 6 episodes and reviews are that it’s the best since season 1 (which I think is the best season of any show ever). Obviously, Jodie Foster.
2. Monsieur Spade (AMC) - created by the guy who did Queen’s Gambit and starring Clive Owen.
Monsieur Spade E1 is strong
[Reply]
lewdog 09:26 PM 01-15-2024
Finally a decent Fargo season after a couple of bombs.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:11 AM 01-21-2024
I've been watching loudermilk on Netflix. It's an older show though but I think it's hilarious
Ron Livingston is just outstanding. And he's essentially playing Peter Gibbons about 10 years after Inatek and a crippling addiction.

I became a Livingston Season Ticket holder after Band of Brothers. Him, Karl Urban and Dominic Cooper - you cast any of those three and I'm watching it. They're just criminally underrated character/television actors.

tl;dr: Watch Loudermilk.

Yeah, so after you posted this, I went ahead and binged it. So it turns out I had watched it all and didn't remember it. Which is weird, because I'm really into it.

I think it strikes a nice balance. There is some really dark and heavy shit in there. REALLY fucking dark. They balance it out with some ridiculous and some funny stuff and sprinkle in some nice character arc.

The deep shit was disturbing. Cutter going off the reservation and never coming back - that's heavy yo. I won't lie, Mugsy falling off the wagon and breaking down in group was fairly soul crushing. A lot of times, he was a cartoon but they threw enough real stuff in there that it hit. If Mugsy was the main character of the show it would be a shit ending LOL. I recognize that's a reality of addiction, but it was still plenty heavy. And I'm glad they balanced it with some levity.

DJ is right. Livingston is great. He does the comedy well, the fuck off attitude well, and does a lot without dialogue. He is fantastic in this scene. The eulogy scene was great too.

SIDENOTE: That fucking song earwormed it's way into my dome and won't get out. That gal is an actual artist. She has a bunch of stuff out there under the name Lissie. Most of it isn't my jam, but that song is really good.

Watch at your own risk...

Spoiler!

That Lizzy Poole storyline was really good and well acted by all involved. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:24 PM 01-23-2024
Anybody watch Foundation?

It's a show on Apple based on an Asimov trilogy (that eventually expanded). I noticed it had Jared Harris in a main role (from Mad Men - actually Richard Harris's son - great actor) and Lee Pace. Pace was "The Pie Maker" in a really quirky and obscure detective show/sitcom called Pushing Daisey's some years back. Neat little show - has that tiny girl that can sing in low cut shirts a lot.

In either event - I enjoy it, but it's not the easiest watch. I can't fuck around on my phone and watch it at the same time. And since all television is inevitably an hour long now, it's just hard to keep my attention at a TV for an hour straight unless a football game is on.

But if you like sci-fi stuff, give it a shot. Really nice production values, good performances (supporting cast is a little weak at times but on balance solid) and since it's based on an Asimov universe, it's gonna have a good story, even if they've strayed from it quite a bit in several ways.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:41 PM 01-23-2024
Foundation is awesome. I agree it's not your run of the mill Sci fi. It's heady and more of a slow burn than a spoon feed.

Good reco
[Reply]
Page 165 of 173
« First < 65115155161162163164165 166167168169 > Last »
Up