ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 145 of 202
« First < 4595135141142143144145 146147148149155195 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
In58men 12:23 PM 11-16-2018
What if he doesn’t come back after bye?

Should we basically call him out for the season?
[Reply]
bigjosh 12:26 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:

It’s week 11. He missed the season already.
[Reply]
O.city 12:26 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Well to be honest, I don't think he's going to play at all.

But if he does, it's not going to be until the playoffs, because that's when the Chiefs will need all hands on deck.

Maybe the Chiefs winning like they've been changed the Chiefs outlook on Berry. I don't think anyone would have imagined back in Aug, the Chiefs would be looking at obtaining the 1-seed HFA in playoffs w/ Mahomes setting all sorts of records on offense, etc...That can certainly change the way teams go about doing things, how they handle certain situations etc...

I believe as long as the Chiefs are winning without Berry, and they continue to be in the driver's seat to obtain HFA in the playoffs (esp if NE/LAC/PIT help out and lose in meantime), then there won't be any reason to play him and risk getting injured, until they HAVE to play him.

He never got the surgery to fix said issue so he's just dealing w/ said pain...pain so bad that he can't even practice on it. So it's not something that's going to get any better unless he gets it surgically repaired.

Which is why I don't know why he just didn't get it fixed back in Aug. Unless they determined a full surgical recovery wouldnt be fully healed until after season's end, thus ending his 2018 season, and he maybe thought he could try and play on it but can't. He's not practicing because it hurts too much. The more he puts pressure on it and stresses it, the more it's going to hurt. Well then why not place him in IR? Well good question..maybe a roster spot left open for Berry with slightest chance of him coming back outweighs whatever PS guy or FA JAG they're going to fill that roster spot with. You're allowed to have 53 guys, Chiefs are playing really w/ 52, and I guess they're ok w/ it.

I just really see it as only 2 options, both are just about as shitty:
-Eric Berry doesn't play at all. Which is what I predict will happen...
-Eric Berry plays only in postseason, when it matters most, to save himself from as much soreness as possible.

My main concern over the latter, is that the Chiefs do put him in the game, and he gets destroyed and costs the team pts.

Both scenarios are shitty. His contract is ****ing shitty. The amount of time he's missed over the course of his career has been shitty. From a franchise biz standpoint, I wish the Chiefs would just move the **** on from Berry and let him be someone else's problem. Unfortunately that can't happen. Great player, huge inspiration for others, cancer survivors etc...

But contracts matter in the NFL, and the Chiefs have a couple of doozies on their roster...but at least one is playing and playing at a somewhat high level, at least he's making plays that help the Chiefs win games.

This obviously wouldn't matter if Berry wasn't a $19M/yr safety who hasn't seen the field in almost 2 full seasons, about to turn 30.
I agree with como

This feels weird
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:31 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:

There is no what if. I'm pretty damn sure he isn't playing against Oakland. I'm not sure what difference 2 weeks makes when he has already missed 100 days because of a sore foot.
[Reply]
-King- 12:46 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Well to be honest, I don't think he's going to play at all.

But if he does, it's not going to be until the playoffs, because that's when the Chiefs will need all hands on deck.

Maybe the Chiefs winning like they've been changed the Chiefs outlook on Berry. I don't think anyone would have imagined back in Aug, the Chiefs would be looking at obtaining the 1-seed HFA in playoffs w/ Mahomes setting all sorts of records on offense, etc...That can certainly change the way teams go about doing things, how they handle certain situations etc...

I believe as long as the Chiefs are winning without Berry, and they continue to be in the driver's seat to obtain HFA in the playoffs (esp if NE/LAC/PIT help out and lose in meantime), then there won't be any reason to play him and risk getting injured, until they HAVE to play him.

He never got the surgery to fix said issue so he's just dealing w/ said pain...pain so bad that he can't even practice on it. So it's not something that's going to get any better unless he gets it surgically repaired.

Which is why I don't know why he just didn't get it fixed back in Aug. Unless they determined a full surgical recovery wouldnt be fully healed until after season's end, thus ending his 2018 season, and he maybe thought he could try and play on it but can't. He's not practicing because it hurts too much. The more he puts pressure on it and stresses it, the more it's going to hurt. Well then why not place him in IR? Well good question..maybe a roster spot left open for Berry with slightest chance of him coming back outweighs whatever PS guy or FA JAG they're going to fill that roster spot with. You're allowed to have 53 guys, Chiefs are playing really w/ 52, and I guess they're ok w/ it.

I just really see it as only 2 options, both are just about as shitty:
-Eric Berry doesn't play at all. Which is what I predict will happen...
-Eric Berry plays only in postseason, when it matters most, to save himself from as much soreness as possible.

My main concern over the latter, is that the Chiefs do put him in the game, and he gets destroyed and costs the team pts.

Both scenarios are shitty. His contract is fucking shitty. The amount of time he's missed over the course of his career has been shitty. From a franchise biz standpoint, I wish the Chiefs would just move the fuck on from Berry and let him be someone else's problem. Unfortunately that can't happen. Great player, huge inspiration for others, cancer survivors etc...

But contracts matter in the NFL, and the Chiefs have a couple of doozies on their roster...but at least one is playing and playing at a somewhat high level, at least he's making plays that help the Chiefs win games.

This obviously wouldn't matter if Berry wasn't a $19M/yr safety who hasn't seen the field in almost 2 full seasons, about to turn 30.
I agree with all this. Seriously. I'm just not going to get bent out of shape everyday when he doesn't practice. Just assume he's out for the year and if he does come back, it's a bonus. That's what I don't get. People are living and dying with every practice report and keep bringing up his contract in every post like it's going to change. Yes he has one of the worst contracts in the NFL, chiefs can't do shit about it right now, so why the fuck is it being brought up so often? It's not like the chiefs can cut him now and just aren't doing it. And I also don't care about them not sharing details with fans. Would it be nice too know what exactly was going on? Probably. But it isn't advantageous for anyone for them to let fans know details of any injury or his time table to return.

So yeah, while I do think he'll play sometime this year and they'll just shoot him up with as much horse tranquilizers as possible without killing him so he can handle the pain, I'm not going to live or die with each non-update we get regarding his status. And I'm just not going to call someone who has gone through what he's gone through, has shown as much passion for football as he has shown, a pussy. That's just stupid as shit to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
-King- 12:47 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
There is no what if. I'm pretty damn sure he isn't playing against Oakland. I'm not sure what difference 2 weeks makes when he has already missed 100 days because of a sore foot.
So wtf are you crying for literally everyday if you've already assumed he's not coming back?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mcaj22 12:56 PM 11-16-2018
They just need to make this priority #1 in the offseason. What to do about this albatross contract. They cant go through another season of this, it makes no sense to do this same dance in 2019.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:05 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
He's beyond an idiot to think anyone would trade for Berry but that's frequently the level of intelligence of his posts.

It is what it is w Berry. I wouldn't worry about it. When he comes back great if he doesn't oh well. Life goes on we've still got a great team wout him and we still have the best young QB in the NFL.
No man you should be angry and call Berry names like worthless and coward because that is what will fix the situation.

Daily temper tantrums here will fix it all as long as it is accompanied by as stupid and asinine a comment as you can think of to go with your opinion.

:-)

I am as frustrated as anyone Berry isn't playing but because I don't hate him with every ounce of my being and throw a fit every time he is listed as not practicing I am some kind of dumb homer.

The football geniuses here who are kicking and screaming fail to realize nothing we do changes anything, nothing the team tells you changes anything, and in the end it will be revealed what exactly is going on one way or another.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 01:18 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I am as frustrated as anyone Berry isn't playing but because I don't hate him with every ounce of my being and throw a fit every time he is listed as not practicing I am some kind of dumb homer.

The football geniuses here who are kicking and screaming fail to realize nothing we do changes anything, nothing the team tells you changes anything, and in the end it will be revealed what exactly is going on one way or another.
:-) JFC are you attempting humor here by pretending to be a drooling dumbshit or is this your legit attempt at putting forth coherent thought?

Just like with the Alex Smith Apologists, the Eric Berry Apologists such as yourself are seemingly taking personal offense to unbiased observations about his situation.

Did Eric Berry show up at a Special Olympics event you were featured at as part of your attempt to cope with life as a mental defect?

Explain your bizarre obsession with defending Eric Berry as if you have a personal connection to him.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:29 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Just like with the Alex Smith Apologists, the Eric Berry Apologists such as yourself are seemingly taking personal offense to unbiased observations about his situation.

Oh the irony.

"Unbiased Observations" oh that's rich.

All Marce has done and said is just wait and see, and to trust that they're being honest with the situation.

Meanwhile, you emo drama queens have done a complete 180 on the man, rip his character, call him a pussy, call the Chiefs F/O idiots for not IRing him, and hell, re-signing him in the first place. You guys are crying every week that he's not here (because you want him here, otherwise you wouldn't be bitching).

You're acting like a bunch of babies that are mad that daddy hasn't come home yet with dinner.

Don't worry ladies, Berry will be back and you can set your rage aside.

Fear. You guys look scared...that your SB hopes are riding on an All-Pro safety. Just relax.

"Unbiased Observations" :-)

Your "observations" are damn near entirely emotion based.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:55 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
They just need to make this priority #1 in the offseason. What to do about this albatross contract. They cant go through another season of this, it makes no sense to do this same dance in 2019.
Yep.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 02:29 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
I agree with como

This feels weird
Glad you have finally seen the light!
:-)
[Reply]
arrwheader 02:36 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
This makes zero sense. He can be on IR and be on the sideline. If they knew he wasn't going to play he would be on IR. Its that simple.

They aren't doing Berry any favors he gets paid either way, nothing you are saying makes a lick of sense.

You arent breaking shit to anybody.
What makes sense is he isn’t playing and if your delusional enough to think he is well then have fun with the let down because what the Chiefs are telling us DOESNT MAKE SENSE so we are left to make our own assumptions and my point is if he was going to play he would be he’s not sitting out for a sore heel all season and coming back football ready for the playoffs. It’s week 11 he’s missed the season. He’s not going to magically return and make a difference. It’s over.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:49 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by arrwheader:
What makes sense is he isn’t playing and if your delusional enough to think he is well then have fun with the let down because what the Chiefs are telling us DOESNT MAKE SENSE so we are left to make our own assumptions and my point is if he was going to play he would be he’s not sitting out for a sore heel all season and coming back football ready for the playoffs. It’s week 11 he’s missed the season. He’s not going to magically return and make a difference. It’s over.
Jesus. Take a breath.
[Reply]
In58men 02:58 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Jesus. Take a breath.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Page 145 of 202
« First < 4595135141142143144145 146147148149155195 > Last »
Up