ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Anderson Cooper Interviews Damien Williams
Tribal Warfare 09:14 PM 08-13-2020

KC Chiefs running back Damien Williams is opting out of the NFL season to spend time with his mom as she fights cancer.

"My mom was the only parent. Raised four kids," he tells @andersoncooper. "She can juggle it all... I'm taking a pin away and I'm going to do the juggling." pic.twitter.com/gmmwBC7Ufg

— Anderson Cooper 360° (@AC360) August 14, 2020

[Reply]
Megatron96 10:09 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Why would we trade or cut him?
Depends entirely on CEH. If Clyde performs as many expect, by this time next year he'll be a lock for RB1. And Damien will become trade bait. It's not the worst thing in the world for him, since it's doubtful Veach would offer him a contract close to what he probably feels is his due. And with the projected reduced cap in 2021, Veach will pretty much have to trade/cut DW if CEH just stays healthy and performs at least to the NFL average, because he'll be cheap for the next four years.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:12 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
I'm just looking at his salary and I think he's also very expendable. The dude showed up when things matter but he's an expendable player. I would not be surprised if he's not on the team next year especially after CEH does his thing.
He's a perfect complement to CEH on a team-friendly contract with incredible post-season experience/success. Why would we replace him?
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 10:12 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Depends entirely on CEH. If Clyde performs as many expect, by this time next year he'll be a lock for RB1. And Damien will become trade bait. It's not the worst thing in the world for him, since it's doubtful Veach would offer him a contract close to what he probably feels is his due. And with the projected reduced cap in 2021, Veach will pretty much have to trade/cut DW if CEH just stays healthy and performs at least to the NFL average, because he'll be cheap for the next four years.
Thanks Mega. It wasn't fully worth explaining, but yeah.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:13 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by rockymtnchief:
Alright, Anderson did a good interview. Kudos to him for not getting political.

I wish Damien and his family the best. He made the right choice. Taking care of mom is more important than football.
Anderson is always good.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 10:15 PM 08-13-2020
dude set superbowl records for the RB position even though the Chiefs and the league are very QB-centric. D.W. is a legend and a gentleman and has his priorities straight. He's very impressive.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 10:15 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
He's a perfect complement to CEH on a team-friendly contract with incredible post-season experience/success. Why would we replace him?
Because he's a Run-Ning-Back. They're all expendable. Darrel Williams is just as good. Damien is a very cool guy, and good player. And so is CEH, so is Darrel, so is Deandre Washington. Let the emotional attachment go from Damien and just appreciate what he did for us. The likelihood is that he's gone in 2021. Warning you fellas.
[Reply]
wazu 10:20 PM 08-13-2020
KC legend is a reach lol. But I admire the love for the guy. He's cool. A lot of things can happen 1 year from now. Just keep that in mind.
Dude was a wrecking ball in the playoffs for 2 years. Also went HAM at end of 2019 to secure our position in the playoffs. And then capped it with a Superbowl performance that was in contention for Superbowl MVP.

I love Jamaal Charles. I love Priest Holmes. I love Christian Okoye. The list goes on. None of them did what he did.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:25 PM 08-13-2020
Because he's a Run-Ning-Back. They're all expendable. Darrel Williams is just as good. Damien is a very cool guy, and good player. And so is CEH, so is Darrel, so is Deandre Washington. Let the emotional attachment go from Damien and just appreciate what he did for us. The likelihood is that he's gone in 2021. Warning you fellas.
I'm not a huge Damien guy. In fact, I like what the others bring to the table. But Damien is ~.3 second faster than Darrel in the 40. Deandre is closer in speed, so maybe he can step in. But, right now, the Chiefs have to find a way to replace that home run hitting ability. I don't think anyone is going to argue that speed isn't important to this offense.

He's also making $2.7 million. Not sure how you replace his value for that amount, especially if you endure a cap hit of around $.5 million for cutting him.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:25 PM 08-13-2020
Thanks Mega. It wasn't fully worth explaining, but yeah.
no worries. It's also possible that I'm completely off-base here as well. It's a widely known fact that I'm not well-versed in predicting what any NFL team will do with their players. With Damien I just kind of put together some thoughts by other CPers since the SB. Although, and this is kind of weird but I've been right about every major Chiefs player, except Shady, since about mid-way through last season. But most of those were purely "gut feeling" calls. Easily could've gone the other way with most of those guesses.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 10:27 PM 08-13-2020
Wazu I can't take you seriously. We're not debating Jamaal vs Priest vs LJ vs Okoye vs Marcus vs Damien. Dude, no.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:29 PM 08-13-2020
The Chiefs will not cut or trade Damien Williams next year.

The man scored 10 touchdowns in the 2018 and 2019 playoffs and a case could be made that he was the Super Bowl MVP.

He’s opted out for the right reasons and the locker room would be ripped apart if he returns next year, only to be cut or traded.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 10:29 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I'm not a huge Damien guy. In fact, I like what the others bring to the table. But Damien is ~.3 second faster than Darrel in the 40. Deandre is closer in speed, so maybe he can step in. But, right now, the Chiefs have to find a way to replace that home run hitting ability. I don't think anyone is going to argue that speed isn't important to this offense.
We're good as for the worries about the home run type dudes. That's a very minuscule concern when we're talking about the 2020 Chiefs offense my man. And you know that.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 10:30 PM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Chiefs will not cut or trade Damien Williams next year.

The man scored 10 touchdowns in the 2018 and 2019 playoffs and a case could be made that he was the Super Bowl MVP.

He’s opted out for the right reasons and the locker room would be ripped apart if he returns next year, only to be cut or traded.
:-) Dane
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:30 PM 08-13-2020
Darrel is not just as good. He's definitely a step down. Well, maybe just a half-step down, but definitely Damien is the better of the two. Damien's biggest problem was always not being able to stay healthy.

CEH should be a huge step up from anyone we currently have on the team. But even if he only puts up average NFL numbers in his first year, with that long cheap contract, that ought to be enough for the chiefs to decide to let Damien go find his payday. that's my guess anyway.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:31 PM 08-13-2020
We're good as for the worries about the home run type dudes. That's a very minuscule concern when we're talking about the 2020 Chiefs offense my man. And you know that.
Seriously? Who else gave us the home runs out of the backfield? I mean, I LOVE CEH. Absolutely LOVE his game. But, he doesn't have home run speed.

BTW, DW went 17 for 104 and a TD in the Super Bowl. Guess what the other Chiefs RBs did combined?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up