ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 57 of 95
« First < 7475354555657 5859606167 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Patrick, Tyrann and friends have something to say
Dante84 07:18 PM 06-04-2020

#StrongerTogether pic.twitter.com/sfwF9Uvgaa

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) June 5, 2020

We love and support our players. We’re proud of you Patrick and Tyrann.@PatrickMahomes @Mathieu_Era https://t.co/JwL6p0vzP6

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) June 5, 2020

We, the NFL, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of Black People. We, the NFL, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the NFL, believe Black Lives Matter. #InspireChange pic.twitter.com/ENWQP8A0sv

— NFL (@NFL) June 5, 2020

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:21 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wow - that's a hell of an overreach.

Ali and Smith did what they did at a time it was incredibly unpopular to do so. Essentially, they took the 'Brees' side of the argument - they went hard against the stream of popular sentiment. Tommie Smith was just savagely berated worldwide and I think Ali actually had to spend a little time in prison for his views. Mahomes, OTOH, is fortunate to be able to say these things behind a wave of massive popular sentiment.

It's not like he was out there leading the charge 2 years ago when there might've been actual consequences.

He did a thing that came completely without risk. Nah - history isn't gonna have much to say about him being the most popular voice among tens of millions. It might've cared if he said it amount tens of thousands.

This was essentially consequence free for him. He put little/nothing on the line. Ali and Smith, OTOH, are different stories entirely. Everyone love's Pat but mentioning him in the same breath as guys like those two WILDLY underestimates the risks they took.
I don't know; people on THIS SITE have said it's going to piss off a majority of KC fans, or some such. That doesn't seem consequence free.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:24 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I don't know; people on THIS SITE have said it's going to piss off a majority of KC fans, or some such. That doesn't seem consequence free.
So you believe those people on this site are correct in that regard? I do not. And I do not believe you do either as "CP Fan is retarded" is pretty much your go-to shtick.

So lets not traffic in bullshit for the giggles, m'kay? When you don't even believe what you're yapping about, maybe just...don't.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:25 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Feel free to go back to the 100+ studies I posted earlier. I guess they were all based on feelings without any actual statistical evidence.

Why would I? I don’t need to care about them in this context because stats are simply stats. They don’t come with excuses until people put them in. A sense of hopelessness as you put it is simply an emotional excuse for criminal behavior.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:28 PM 06-08-2020
Exactly my point.

3 years ago it could've changed his entire life. If he's a guy taking controversial stances as a draft prospect, who knows how his draft goes? Lets say it goes the same way - what if he leads the charge 2 seasons ago after the MVP year - if it's so self-evident now, surely it was then as well. Crickets.

Mahomes isn't some kind of force for racially harmony - he simply hopped a bandwagon as it gained steam. It's just a far different thing than putting yourself out there when you don't have a mass of followers to join your banner.

This was EASILY the path of least resistance for him - so why is he to be considered among the most transformative athletes of our time?
And guess what Mahomes was up to this weekend. He was golfing with Kelce and a group of all white people at Porto Cima at the Lake.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:29 PM 06-08-2020
Exactly my point.

3 years ago it could've changed his entire life. If he's a guy taking controversial stances as a draft prospect, who knows how his draft goes? Lets say it goes the same way - what if he leads the charge 2 seasons ago after the MVP year - if it's so self-evident now, surely it was then as well. Crickets.

Mahomes isn't some kind of force for racially harmony - he simply hopped a bandwagon as it gained steam. It's just a far different thing than putting yourself out there when you don't have a mass of followers to join your banner.

This was EASILY the path of least resistance for him - so why is he to be considered among the most transformative athletes of our time?

People think it takes bravery to be against racism due to how many monsters the media has created for them.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:29 PM 06-08-2020
Exactly my point.

Walter Cronkite could have easily been looked at as joining the path of least resistance when he spoke out against the Vietnam War in 1968 - but due to his status, speaking out against the war is still remembered as a massive turning point in history. I think Patrick's speaking out, even though it pales in comparison to when Kaep spoke out (just like Cronkite speaking out in 68 paled to the protests at the time), is still quite notable due to his status.

I think it's also being slightly understated about the potential blowback Patrick faces for speaking out from Middle America I've counted 3 people on this website (which, for Chiefs fan spaces, is pretty liberal in comparison) who say they will renounce their fandom if Patrick takes a knee next year. On twitter, this should be multiplied by the 10th power. Patrick took a considerable amount of heat on his announcement and I'm sure there are plenty of devoted Chiefs fans who will speak out against Patrick next year if he continues.

It's possible Patrick will be a footnote, sure, but I think it's equally possible this will be a moment that's going to be remembered due to Patrick being the face of the NFL. Shall we revisit this in 20 years?
[Reply]
BigRichard 02:32 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
There's far too much to research.

You seem to think I'm the type to post numbers without first looking into them myself. Have you known me to do that before? Did I do that somewhere in this thread?
"Research" is fine and dandy but you better know who did it and understand fully if they did it properly and they didn't inject any of their bias into it. All research has bias people behind it, they just need to keep it out of the research.

That being said, the numbers of what we are discussing are out there in the open and easily found. I wish more people would do a little of their own "research" on the topic before trying to make points that do or do not exist.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:34 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
And guess what Mahomes was up to this weekend. He was golfing with Kelce and a group of all white people at Porto Cima at the Lake.
I think he's where a vocal majority of this thing are right now.

Never crossed his mind, and probably won't be forefront on it a month from now (if it even is now). His goal is to live his life as best he can and enjoy the family/friends around him regardless of race, color and creed. Yeah he's hanging out at the course with some white guys. Why? Because he likes golf and has friends that are white. And he's gotta defend that?

It's that sort of outlook that has people kinda compelled to speak out right now.

Lecturing at people is a really good way to make sure they hear you and a really BAD way to make them actually listen. Especially when every instance of it has the speaker patting him/herself on the back a few times before they're done. That is soooooo tedious. It's completely ineffective messaging.

This thing has gotten really heavy handed, really fast. And I get it "y'all didn't listen last time!!" but yelling the same argument louder will only get you more people that pay lip service to it and little else. And when all the yelling is tinged with self-congratulatory rhetoric you slip in every few sentences, whoever you may have truly convinced in a manner that engenders change - well they've probably tuned you right out.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:37 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Walter Cronkite could have easily been looked at as joining the path of least resistance when he spoke out against the Vietnam War in 1968 - but due to his status, speaking out against the war is still remembered as a massive turning point in history. I think Patrick's speaking out, even though it pales in comparison to when Kaep spoke out (just like Cronkite speaking out in 68 paled to the protests at the time), is still quite notable due to his status.

I think it's also being slightly understated about the potential blowback Patrick faces for speaking out from Middle America I've counted 3 people on this website (which, for Chiefs fan spaces, is pretty liberal in comparison) who say they will renounce their fandom if Patrick takes a knee next year. On twitter, this should be multiplied by the 10th power. Patrick took a considerable amount of heat on his announcement and I'm sure there are plenty of devoted Chiefs fans who will speak out against Patrick next year if he continues.

It's possible Patrick will be a footnote, sure, but I think it's equally possible this will be a moment that's going to be remembered due to Patrick being the face of the NFL. Shall we revisit this in 20 years?
I don't care if 50,000 people renounce their fandom of Patrick Mahomes - it won't make a dint in a sports media landscape that has been completely taken over by the NFL when he's the most renowned player presently playing the game.

Tell ya what - what's your index of 'risk' here? Jersey sales don't actually impact his bottom line - that's NFL money. You think he's gonna NOT be the most highly paid player in league history? You think he won't be deified in KC while being excoriated and envied outside it?

What actual impact do you think this is gonna have on him.

Literally zero risk at all.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:39 PM 06-08-2020
I don't care if 50,000 people renounce their fandom of Patrick Mahomes - it won't make a dint in a sports media landscape that has been completely taken over by the NFL when he's the most renowned player presently playing the game.

Tell ya what - what's your index of 'risk' here? Jersey sales don't actually impact his bottom line - that's NFL money. You think he's gonna NOT be the most highly paid player in league history? You think he won't be deified in KC while being excoriated and envied outside it?

It would have been much riskier for him to say all lives matter.
[Reply]
Skyy God 02:42 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It would have been much riskier for him to say all lives matter.
Sorry you "All Lives Matter" types feel persecuted, sparky.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:46 PM 06-08-2020

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBL2FrA...=1lqs1jglfu2tg

If I’m reading your position right, I think you’re making a strong case for whether or not Mahomes decision "should" be remembered whereas I’m wondering if it "will" be remembered regardless. Going back to Cronkite, a lot of historians argue that we overstate is move to speak out against Vietnam on national news. This is because public opinion was already well against the war and there’s no data showing whether or not Cronkite’s stance altered public opinion in a measurable way. Literally in the time of our conversation, we've had multiple major news figures call Mahomes move "transcendent" for the league. I fully agree with you that Colin Kaepernick was the one who took the risk when the risk was his status in the league, but Mahomes being a part of this was a big reason why the conversation shifted.

Hell, go look in the Romper Room. The majority of this website thought Mahomes was going to stay silent on this issue. Hell, Baltimore fans on twitter are pretty stunned because Lamar Jackson has mostly stayed silent on this issue. The move most folks thought Mahomes would take to "play it safe" was to remain neutral. In fact, since Mahomes had been pretty centrist on issues like this and some even thought he had implied conservative positions, most thought he'd stick to a "unity" message over anything else. Is it possible that Mahomes got advice that the right move was to join the Black Lives Matter movement? Sure. Absolutely. However, now that front office people around the league are credited Mahomes to getting Roger Goddell to say "Black Lives Matter" less than 24 hours later can not be understated, and since those articles have broken, so many are now saying Mahomes is transcendent in today's NFL.

The power of a narrative like that is something that just might be remembered in our history. Now, should Colin Kaepernick be the one remembered for the cost it had on his career? Absolutely, I don't disagree with you there. Did Mahomes have far less risk speaking out in 2020 than Russell Wilson would have in 2017? Totally. I don't disagree there. But notably, Mahomes spoke out when other QB's still aren't - and he's now getting credited with being a major reason (and some prominent sports writers are quoting NFL execs saying he’s the primary reason) why the tides have turned here - and I don’t think that can be understated.

I totally and 100% agree with you that Mahomes did not have the risk that other athletes did. But, due to Mahomes status, I still think it's quite possible Mahomes move is going to be remembered, especially with the narratives already arising from his decision.

I'll leave at that. I could be way wrong on this and feel free to clown me in 20 years time. It wouldn't be the first time.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:46 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Sorry you "All Lives Matter" types feel persecuted, sparky.

I’m simply stating what you know to be true as well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:03 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBL2FrA...=1lqs1jglfu2tg

I think you might be underestimating the power of social media "narratives" today. I also think you might be arguing whether or not Mahomes decision "should" be remembered rather than if it "will" be remembered. Literally in the time of our conversation, we've had multiple major news figures call Mahomes move "transcendent" for the league. I fully agree with you that Colin Kaepernick was the one who took the risk when the risk was his status in the league, but Mahomes being a part of this was a big reason why the conversation shifted.

Hell, go look in the Romper Room. The majority of this website thought Mahomes was going to stay silent on this issue. Hell, Baltimore fans on twitter are pretty stunned because Lamar Jackson has mostly stayed silent on this issue. The move most folks thought Mahomes would take to "play it safe" was to remain neutral. In fact, since Mahomes had been pretty centrist on issues like this and some even thought he had implied conservative positions, most thought he'd stick to a "unity" message over anything else. Is it possible that Mahomes got advice that the right move was to join the Black Lives Matter movement? Sure. Absolutely. However, now that front office people around the league are credited Mahomes to getting Roger Goddell to say "Black Lives Matter" less than 24 hours later can not be understated, and since those articles have broken, so many are now saying Mahomes is transcendent in today's NFL.

The power of a narrative like that is something that just might be remembered in our history. Now, should Colin Kaepernick be the one remembered for the cost it had on his career? Absolutely, I don't disagree with you there. Did Mahomes have far less risk speaking out in 2020 than Russell Wilson would have in 2017? Totally. I don't disagree there. But notably, Mahomes spoke out when other QB's still aren't - and he's now getting credited with being a major reason (and some prominent sports writers are quoting NFL execs saying he’s the primary reason) why the tides have turned here - and I don’t think that can be understated.

I totally and 100% agree with you that Mahomes did not have the risk that other athletes did. But, due to Mahomes status, I still think it's quite possible Mahomes move is going to be remembered, especially with the narratives already arising from his decision.

I'll leave at that. I could be way wrong on this and feel free to clown me in 20 years time. It wouldn't be the first time.
And I think this is probably where we part ways.

You're belief is that his impact can't be overstated because he may have been a key element to the tide turning. I say it's being largely OVERSTATED because we have a wildly outsized view as rabit NFL fans of the impact this will make on society. So does every sports media member who likewise love to overstate the importance of sports on the vast majority of the society. True dedicated fans of the NFL are NOT a majority of this country. I'd suggest that a majority of those that have an opinion on this throughout the nation do NOT have an opinion on next year's SB champion. Nor would their opinions have shifted one way or the other based on the NFL lead.

To whatever extent the NFL's statement matters, it's only because the snowball was already rolling down the hill. They read the room reeeeaaaaal carefully before they went out on a limb. The NFL is among the most pragmatic and cautious major entities in the world. They knew full well that the decision had already been made in among the populace writ large.

If there was any chance at all that this was going to backfire on them, the NFL would've said nothing. But they knew what was going on and they know full well that they will benefit from this over any meaningful timeline. The NFL threw a match into a gas can that was sitting into the middle of a blazing inferno and said "Look! We were the catalyst in that gas-can lighting up!!!"

That's why I say there just wasn't much risk here. Had Mahomes said what he said even a week earlier, I'd have given him credit for it. But to come in after this stuff had already started to crystallize - I just don't see how that should have him canonized.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:10 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I wish more people would do a little of their own "research" on the topic before trying to make points that do or do not exist.
I get the sense that you're talking about someone else. Is that the case?

Prior to you engaging me, I had only made like two posts in this thread and neither of them contained any statistical figures.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 06-08-2020, 03:23 PM
This message has been deleted by Gravedigger. Reason: Q
Page 57 of 95
« First < 7475354555657 5859606167 > Last »
Up