ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Preseason Cutting Out Weeks 1 and 4
luv 02:54 PM 07-01-2020
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/r...uvg7zSQYD0R33k

(There's also video on Andy's thoughts on possibility of no fans that I don't know how to share.)

REPORT: 2020 NFL Preseason to be Cut from Four Games to Two

The NFL preseason is reportedly being cut in half from four preseason games to two, according to a report from ProFootballTalk.

PFT's report also says that the scrapped weeks will be Week 1 and Week 4 of the preseason, meaning that the Kansas City Chiefs would lose their matchups against the Cincinnati Bengals and Green Bay Packers. In a unique scheduling quirk, without additional readjustments, this would mean that the Chiefs would play two road preseason games — at the Arizona Cardinals in Week 2 and at the Dallas Cowboys in Week 3 — and no home games.

However, soon after PFT's report, Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal has reported that the remaining weeks will be rescheduled to allow every team to have one home and one road game in 2020.

At home or on the road, this would also prevent the Chiefs from seeing two much-discussed rookie quarterbacks in the preseason: Cincinnati's Joe Burrow in Week 1 and Green Bay's Jordan Love in Week 4.

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio explained the logic of the bookending games being the ones to take the cut:

"The move was driven by two primary factors. First, teams who will be playing preseason games on the road won’t want to move that many people. Second, given that no teams had on-field practice sessions in the offseason, coaches would rather have the extra time to work with their teams, and that will happen if they don’t have to worry about two extra preseason games.

Already, the Week Four preseason game is worthless (or, more accurately, less worthless than the other preseason games). So it’s really only the loss of one preseason game. And the first preseason game doesn’t typically involve much work from starters, anyway."

This is the first major change that the NFL has made due to the Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic, following the announcement of the cancellation of the NFL's Hall of Fame Game.

Lindsay Jones of The Athletic tweeted her thoughts after the news, seeming to indicate that the entire preseason could be in danger.

While that may seem like a big step — and in many ways, it is — it should be noted that preseason games are, by far, the most logical major events to cancel in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. Cancelling regular-season games would have substantial impacts both financially and on the 2020 season. If the NFL can be safer by cancelling the entire preseason, that option should certainly be on the table.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:08 PM 07-01-2020
To be expected. In todays NFL players are in shape year around. 2 games is plenty to risk injury at full speed against other teams. They are vanilla offenses and defenses. They put shit in they have no intention to use just to make teams prepare for the plays etc.

A lot of reasons to hate pre-season. #1 reason for me as a season ticket holder was making me pay for 4 practice games at full price.

On top of that....... covid exposure..... fuck that. Keep Mahomes safe.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 03:09 PM 07-01-2020
I knew there was a good chance we wouldn't get to go when I bought tickets to the week 4 preseason game... but damn it is still wildly disappointing hearing the news.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 03:10 PM 07-01-2020
FUCK!!!
[Reply]
staylor26 03:11 PM 07-01-2020
Boy is it a good season to have a stacked roster with very little turnover and the entire coaching staff returning.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:13 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Boy is it a good season to have a stacked roster with very little turnover and the entire coaching staff returning.
My thoughts exactly.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:16 PM 07-01-2020
This season is gonna suck so bad
[Reply]
Kman34 03:25 PM 07-01-2020
Bet all preseason games are cancelled so they can buy time to figure out if there’s going to be a season...
[Reply]
Halfcan 03:33 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
This season is gonna suck so bad
I will remind you of this post at our next SB rally in January. :-)

We are going to steamroll teams on both sides of the ball.
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:39 PM 07-01-2020
Damn it. I was legit hoping for the Cincy game to happen. That's a bummer.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:45 PM 07-01-2020
I have an idea. Have no preseason whatsoever. Move the season up. Eliminate 1 playoff spot. Get the season over before the fall pandemic gets out of hand. I want to see two super bowls in a row. Make it happen.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 03:49 PM 07-01-2020
I could envision a shortened season of playing your division home and away and then start the playoffs.

I can envision the whole thing falling apart if the virus flares through players and staff.

{I woke up gloomy, I guess}
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 04:02 PM 07-01-2020
I'm slowly coming to the realization that we really aren't going to have a season this year.

This just sucks.
[Reply]
srvy 04:17 PM 07-01-2020
No supplemental draft in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-will-no...-draft-in-2020
[Reply]
KChiefs1 04:24 PM 07-01-2020
Let’s keep it 2 games & make the regular season 18 games.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up