ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Listen, people. We need to have a talk about a Chiefs name change at some point.
Rain Man 11:59 AM 06-29-2020
I think the odds are low of a name change, but given the current state of affairs it's a non-zero possibility. And if we don't have input, the name will end up being some trite adjective in front of the word Hawks, which has happened with pretty much every other sports name change in America. Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Screeching Hawks, whatever. We don't want that.

I suspect that some members of Chiefs management read this site occasionally to get our takes on who should be starting at left guard or how they should handle a particular contract, so this is our chance to have input into the process. (Oh, and hi, Clark. Nice work last year, my friend. PM me about getting together for dinner next time you're in Denver.)

So we'll have a renaming tournament. In this thread, you may propose up to three names, and I'll structure everyone's suggestions into heats. Using the Chiefsplanet brain trust, we'll give Clark and his team valuable input into what the Chiefs should become if we eventually delete our homage to indigenous plains cultures.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 02:14 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Can still be the chiefs just turn the iconography to be European rather than Native American.
Could actually work until people of European heritage become just another minority.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:16 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Kansas city Sybians
It would certainly generate some buzz.
[Reply]
chiefsftw 02:18 PM 06-29-2020
Kansas City Outlaws
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:20 PM 06-29-2020
Kansas City Wolves
Kansas City Wolfpack
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:20 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco:
Could actually work until people of European heritage become just another minority.
It would be the best scenario for Clark. He could move them to NFL Europe. Their culture wouldn't be gigantic pussies and complain about it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:21 PM 06-29-2020
There's an endangered species fishlike thing (edit: salamander) in Missouri called the hellbender: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/status/endangered

That's a really good name, and the red jerseys can be recast as devilwear.
[Reply]
1COOLDOG 02:23 PM 06-29-2020
Humongous Hammerheads
Badass Barbecuers
Chuck Norris Clones
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:24 PM 06-29-2020
Okay, try this on for size.

The Kansas City Kangaroos.
[Reply]
1COOLDOG 02:24 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
The Kansas City Anomalies.
The Home of the Clownfish??
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:25 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
There's an endangered species fishlike thing (edit: salamander) in Missouri called the hellbender: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/status/endangered

That's a really good name, and the red jerseys can be recast as devilwear.
I prefer either:
The Kansas city Pink Muckets, or
The Kansas city Flathead Chubbs

The Kansas city Snuffbox gets an honorable mention
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:27 PM 06-29-2020
The Kansas City Crimson.

Are our jerseys crimson?
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:29 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Are you trying to get your statue torn down or something?

While we all have our own beliefs about the Chiefs name, the truth is that there are some public relations people dogging on us. It's best to be prepared in case something happens and we have to pivot quickly. We'll just prepare an acceptable alternative name and Clark can keep it in his back pocket.
Seriously, between the kneeling, BLM and this crap, I'm just glad we won it all last year. Let's just take our trophy and go home.

#GoRoyals!
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:29 PM 06-29-2020
I just noticed on that Missouri endangered species site that there's no photo available of the Western Chicken Turtle. That's a bad sign.
[Reply]
1COOLDOG 02:32 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by TheMartyr:
The Chiefs should be able to keep the name, but the Tomahawk chop will be gone at some point. It will likely live on in some parts of the stadium and the fandom, but I think there will be a concerted effort by the team to phase that out. I personally think the chop is not worth fighting for as it is just a tradition stolen from Seminoles/Braves fans.

They have already made some small steps to encourage more education and connection to Native American tribals groups in the area. If I were in charge, I would take the following steps:

1) Make immediate plans to get rid of the chop
2) Start implementing policies that gets fans to not wear Native American headdresses and other symbolic apparel at the game
3) Reach out to local tribal leaders and do more to honor these groups at the games with some half time performances that are educational, respectful, and inclusive to Native Americans
4) Create strategic partnerships with local Native American institutions, such as Haskell University in Lawrence, the Mid-American Museum Center in Wichita, holding free football camps on Indian reservations (there is actually a long and storied history of Native Americans embracing football), etc.

Get out in front of the messaging and do the best you can to mitigate the fallout from the angry subset of fans who are pissed off that you are taking “their chop” away from them.
You forgot to mention eliminating the Indian face logo from Big Chief writing tablets and ensuring the crying Indian in the "Keep America Beautiful" commercials is handed a helium-filled balloon at the end of each one so he wipes away the tear and smiles broadly at the camera.
[Reply]
Jamie 02:32 PM 06-29-2020
Kansas City Butchers. We can say the chop is chopping meat.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up