ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Media Center>New Tom Hanks movie "Greyhound"
InChiefsHeaven 08:01 AM 03-10-2020

This looks good...Comes out in June 2020.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:12 PM 03-10-2020
Yeah this looks incredible, I’ll cough up $9 for that
[Reply]
Why Not? 04:55 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Always the right answer.
This
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 08:48 PM 03-10-2020
Ive begun to wonder why we (the collective we, as in the nation) are more obsessed with WWII than any other war. It was certainly pivotal, no denying that. I'm not complaining - there are many compelling stories to be told.

It jus seems (and I haven't done any research to back this up) that there are 10 times as many movies about WWII than all our other wars combined.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:05 PM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
Ive begun to wonder why we (the collective we, as in the nation) are more obsessed with WWII than any other war. It was certainly pivotal, no denying that. I'm not complaining - there are many compelling stories to be told.

It jus seems (and I haven't done any research to back this up) that there are 10 times as many movies about WWII than all our other wars combined.
I never really thought about it, but offhand I'd say there are a few factors.

It was fresh in the minds of people, both filmmakers and the general public, during the golden age of Hollywood.

It was the last major conflict in which we fought that we clearly won. It wasn't a draw, or a lingering, unresolvable mess.

And the generation that fought it was remarkable. It's been all downhill since.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 12:53 AM 03-11-2020

They’re propaganda movies. WWII was the last war that had the countries full support.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:49 AM 03-11-2020

What I find amazing is that Hogan’s Heroes was only like 20 years after WWII.

There’s no way a POW comedy could get made now days. For any war.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 12:11 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

It was fresh in the minds of people, both filmmakers and the general public, during the golden age of Hollywood.

It was the last major conflict in which we fought that we clearly won. It wasn't a draw, or a lingering, unresolvable mess.

I think you've named quite a bit of it. In WWII it was much easier to define it as good v evil (or maybe that is easier in retrospect - I'm not sure how much of Hitlers evil was evident at the time). The following wars weren't so black and white, they were more political power moves (gross generalization).

We just feel better about ourselves in WWII, than we do subsequent or prior wars with maybe the exceptions of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.

Also, they could churn out a movie a month back then.
[Reply]
Huffmeister 12:17 PM 03-11-2020

I think the sheer magnitude of WWII has something to do with it. It was the largest conflict the world has ever seen. There are so many stories; large, small, fiction, non-fiction, European theater, Pacific, and everything in between. It's like a writer's playground.

And as others have mentioned, there was a very clear line between good and evil. And the blurring of that line has potential for great storylines.
[Reply]
scho63 02:22 PM 03-11-2020
SPOILER ALERT: Unknown passenger leaves a soccer ball in a suitcase at the back of the bus with a shipping label and he spends the whole film trying to find the rightful owner, starting at the Fed-Ex terminal at the airport during World War II.

Some scenes are flashbacks to when he was a kid playing a piano and is being bullied by a few new Somali neighbors. He realizes his destiny when he goes to the boardwalk and a fortune telling machine called "Zoltar Speaks" predicts he will become the World's greatest Bus Driver.

He goes to the Empire State Building on his day off and meets a woman on a blind date and they fall in love and marry.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:02 PM 03-12-2020
A lot of factors.

Largest war ever in a lot of different facets.

First time using modern warfare tactics.

Mobile warfare makes everything more interesting and easy to tell stories about.

Good villains.

And everybody knows about it. Knows the battles whatnot. For instance the battles of Verdun lasted 10 months. That’s just hard to tell a story about.
[Reply]
007 05:28 PM 06-19-2020
Looks like this is going straight to streaming now. Just showed up on my apple TV + account. Premiers in July.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:43 PM 06-19-2020

Absolutely! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 07:02 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
Looks like this is going straight to streaming now. Just showed up on my apple TV + account. Premiers in July.
Yeah, I saw a commercial for it last night that said it would be on this exclusively.

You'd think a Tom Hanks war movie would be something theaters would be interested in to bring back audiences. I don't get it.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 10:35 AM 06-26-2020
Yeah, I saw a commercial for it last night that said it would be on this exclusively.

You'd think a Tom Hanks war movie would be something theaters would be interested in to bring back audiences. I don't get it.
The 'Rona of course.

Sucks it's only on Apple too...
[Reply]
007 11:50 AM 06-26-2020

Curious what they paid to get it
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up