ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 12:39 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Always trust in the Cook's Illustrated, my friend.
So do you endorse the easy-off method for getting a cast iron skillet ready for re-seasoning then?

I have read that the skillet should sit for 24 hours with the oven cleaner on it. I am thinking of just sticking with 30 minutes though.
[Reply]
Fritz88 12:41 PM 11-12-2011
God damn, can we settle on one seasoning method?!!

My head is about to explode trying to choose a way season it and caring for it.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:41 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
So do you endorse the easy-off method for getting a cast iron skillet ready for re-seasoning then?

I have read that the skillet should sit for 24 hours with the oven cleaner on it. I am thinking of just sticking with 30 minutes though.
I've never tried it, though I do plan to. That said, I'm a longtime subscriber to CI, and I've tried many of their methods and recipes, and have never even once been led astray.
[Reply]
Stewie 01:48 PM 11-12-2011
I would never use Easy-Off on cast iron. Who thinks this is a good idea?

If your old pan needs to be rejuvenated use a little olive oil and a synthetic wool pad. It takes some elbow grease if your pan is really nasty/rusty, but it gets the pan back to where it can be seasoned.

Seasoning is simple. Some oil and heat... repeat a few of times. Those instructions can be Googled.
[Reply]
brett 02:05 PM 11-12-2011
goood for meat or things that dont stick
[Reply]
Stewie 02:17 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by brett:
goood for meat or things that dont stick
A well seasoned cast iron skillet is non-stick.
[Reply]
Ugly Duck 04:00 PM 11-12-2011
Old CI pans are better than the new ones cuz they used to mill down the rough texture on the cooking surface. Too much labor & expense for modern-day companies, so now they just leave the cooking surface as rough as the mold it came from. Eventually, a metal spatula will shave down the roughness (never use a plastic spatula on cast iron). Here's what I do to cheat on the seasoning process... take a grinder to the cooking surface of a cheap CI pan. Use ever-diminishing grit sizes till you have a smooth, shiny surface. Then just season as you normally do. This method turns a cheap, modern-day CI pan into one just as good as the old ones... gets a coupla years head start on developing a slick, glassy, stick-free surface. When cooking, let 'em get really hot before you put anything in them. Ain't no non-stick material on there to burn & it develops a totally even temp across the surface.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Dang! That Duck dude is some kinda intelligentsia genious kinda guy!" But you're wrong. I've gone vegan & veggies don't seem to care if they're on an evenly-heated, smooth, glassy, stick-free surface. Meat, on the other hand, totally loves a well-seasoned cast iron pan. You degenerate carnivores would be well-served using my method of preparing cast iron for cooking meat. Might as well enjoy yourselves now, cuz you won't get to heaven destroying the planet & being mean to animals. Won't be nothin' but vegans up there. Maybe a few 7th Day Adventists & assorted Mormons. Wonder if we can eat meat once we're up there? Maybe a fat BLT with heirloom tomatoes...
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 07:43 PM 11-12-2011
Interesting tips. Been reading a lot of stuff online, seems like there are many ways to get it done. Some of the pans I have have not been used in years, my grandma pretty much just used one pan the last years of her life, the rest she stored, and they do not appeared to be seasoned anymore. No real rust either. I am going to get some flaxseed oil tomorrow, get the rust off, and see if I can't get these pans back to life.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 08:14 PM 11-12-2011
Here they are, in varying conditions. Leaning towards doing the oven cleaner to get them stripped and cleaned real good, and then spend the next few weeks doing 4-5 rounds of seasoning on them with some flaxseed oil. Would love some advice from the experts though, even though these pans have not be used in years, they were my grandmas, and I would really like to do them right, not only to get them nice again, but to cook some good food in them too.
Attached: IMG_5174.jpg (152.0 KB) IMG_5176.jpg (153.7 KB) IMG_5177.jpg (160.7 KB) IMG_5178.jpg (157.6 KB) IMG_5179.jpg (205.5 KB) 
[Reply]
hometeam 08:33 PM 11-12-2011
reading through this thread has inspired me to get one. I fancy myself a pretty good cook, and this is something I have never done.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:45 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I would never use Easy-Off on cast iron. Who thinks this is a good idea?

If your old pan needs to be rejuvenated use a little olive oil and a synthetic wool pad. It takes some elbow grease if your pan is really nasty/rusty, but it gets the pan back to where it can be seasoned.

Seasoning is simple. Some oil and heat... repeat a few of times. Those instructions can be Googled.
Did you read the post I made? The guys at Cook's Illustrated actually recommend it before doing the flaxseed seasoning. Those guys know their shit and are famously well-researched and practiced.
[Reply]
RJ 10:06 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by Phobia:
You can use lacquer thinner if you want.

That's for the martinis.
[Reply]
RJ 10:12 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Did you read the post I made? The guys at Cook's Illustrated actually recommend it before doing the flaxseed seasoning. Those guys know their shit and are famously well-researched and practiced.

I'm going to give it a try. My fvorite cast iron skillet is in need and with cold weather upon us it is time to turn my eyes toward indoor cooking.

Still skeptical, but trusting in FMB and Cooks Illustrated.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 10:15 PM 11-12-2011
Originally Posted by RJ:
I'm going to give it a try. My fvorite cast iron skillet is in need and with cold weather upon us it is time to turn my eyes toward indoor cooking.

FMB is pretty passionate about cooking, I think his advice is sound as well. Oven cleaner is designed for high heat surfaces, so it does make sense.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:59 AM 11-13-2011
Originally Posted by RJ:

Take pics of the process, if you think about it. :-)

I'm going to try it, as well, probably in December between a business trip and Christmas.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up