ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2165 of 3903
« First < 1165166520652115215521612162216321642165 216621672168216921752215226526653165 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lewdog 09:45 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Agree. But if the mortality rate keeps going down and it's eventually settled upon that thing is less deadly than the flu, does it matter? These guys have played 100 straight seasons in the heart of flu season.

Not saying that's where this is headed, but that's the rumbling. If public perception becomes that flu is more likely to kill you and science begins to back that up, then sorry...all bets are off. The NFL will take its money the first chance they get.
Please stop spreading this message about COVID 19 and it's comparison to the flu.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coro...-with-flu.html

I also know Pete won't read a word of this.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:47 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Please stop spreading this message about COVID 19 and it's comparison to the flu.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-deadly-as-flu

Stop acting like it’s settled science
[Reply]
Strongside 09:53 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
How could anyone with any degree of functional literacy still believe this?
Im sorry man. I haven’t been sitting at my computer digging into the minutia of every model, chart, result, CDC release like you obviously have. I’m not hanging on every up or down tick of the current Ro data like some are.

I’m simply talking about public perception. Public perception is everything. Facts are facts, but how the public perceives a specific situation determines how society handles said facts.

If the fact is that this thing is more deadly than the flu...ok. But if PERCEPTION becomes that it isn’t...and that’s clearly the way this is heading, you’ll see brands like the NFL happily capitalizing on it.

The NFL wants it’s money. The fans want their football.

You aggressively comment like I’m advocating for the disease being a misnomer. I’m not.

I’m simply stating that as long as institutions like Stanford continue to publish findings that the mortality rate is incredibly low, perception will continue to change.

You can laugh or front all you want, but it won’t shock me at all.
[Reply]
Strongside 09:55 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Jesus FUCK. Did you guys even read what I said? I’m talking about PERCEPTION. The public PERCEPTION is moving in this direction, facts be damned.

This thread is dominated by a few who know all, apparently.

Go join the task force and save the country, you miserable fucks.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 09:58 PM 05-21-2020
Anyone care to explain how places like NY and PA have 70% of COVID19 deaths taking place in nursing homes?
[Reply]
Strongside 10:01 PM 05-21-2020
And if you think the NFL won’t put money above player safety then I’d invite you to google the term CTE.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:02 PM 05-21-2020
Im sorry man. I haven’t been sitting at my computer digging into the minutia of every model, chart, result, CDC release like you obviously have. I’m not hanging on every up or down tick of the current Ro data like some are.

I’m simply talking about public perception. Public perception is everything. Facts are facts, but how the public perceives a specific situation determines how society handles said facts.

If the fact is that this thing is more deadly than the flu...ok. But if PERCEPTION becomes that it isn’t...and that’s clearly the way this is heading, you’ll see brands like the NFL happily capitalizing on it.

The NFL wants it’s money. The fans want their football.

You aggressively comment like I’m advocating for the disease being a misnomer. I’m not.

I’m simply stating that as long as institutions like Stanford continue to publish findings that the mortality rate is incredibly low, perception will continue to change.

You can laugh or front all you want, but it won’t shock me at all.
Pubic perception isn't anywhere near that. That was the first goalpost, then it was H1N1, then it was how they were counting. You're conflating the viewpoints of a decided minority of the population with overall views when even those warped views have been altered numerous times.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:06 PM 05-21-2020
Jesus ****. Did you guys even read what I said? I’m talking about PERCEPTION. The public PERCEPTION is moving in this direction, facts be damned.

This thread is dominated by a few who know all, apparently.

Go join the task force and save the country, you miserable ****s.
Public perception in Kansas or Missouri may be different than other parts of the country.

I think the NFL will play regardless and that has nothing to do with comparing this to the flu. It’s just all about the money for them.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:08 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-deadly-as-flu

Stop acting like it’s settled science
It is if you'd actually read the article. People keep posting this article without actually reading the damned thing. It even admits that the studies that give low estimates are not representative samples whatsoever.

If I take the lowest risk demographic group and sample them then compare that to all groups of the flu, of course my numbers are going to look depressed in comparison.

But if you actually look at population-level studies, which have been done in places like Spain, where you have samples of 90,000 people drawn across all areas of society, you end up with an IFR of around 1%, which is an order of magnitude higher than the flu.

Morever, if you merely look at New York City, almost 16,000 people out of a city of 8 million have died of COVID. That means 0.2% of the entire city has died of a disease. Even if 100% of the people had the disease (and it's really closer to 20-25% based on their antibody data), even that would be higher than the flu with an N of 8,000,000 as a sample.
[Reply]
Strongside 10:08 PM 05-21-2020
Pubic perception isn't anywhere near that. That was the first goalpost, then it was H1N1, then it was how they were counting. You're conflating the viewpoints of a decided minority of the population with overall views when even those warped views have been altered numerous times.
But therein lies the human challenge. Minority and majority opinions and sentiment are literally being warped and changed daily. Every spike in the death rate, every dip in new cases, every new way the disease can be contracted, every potential mutation. It only kills old people. Now it’s killing kids. It’s been here since February. No, wait, maybe November. It lives for six days on surfaces. UV light can kill it.

We’d all be better off if we just swallowed our egos and admitted that none of us have a fucking clue what’s going on.

The talking heads tell us one thing, the data tells us another. My opinion is the same as others, but not the same as yours. I feel I’m a majority and so does everyone else.

It’s a socioeconomic cluster fuck on a scale like we’ve never seen.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:12 PM 05-21-2020
It is if you'd actually read the article. People keep posting this article without actually reading the damned thing. It even admits that the studies that give low estimates are not representative samples whatsoever.

If I take the lowest risk demographic group and sample them then compare that to all groups of the flu, of course my numbers are going to look depressed in comparison.

But if you actually look at population-level studies, which have been done in places like Spain, where you have samples of 90,000 people drawn across all areas of society, you end up with an IFR of around 1%, which is an order of magnitude higher than the flu.

Morever, if you merely look at New York City, almost 16,000 people out of a city of 8 million have died of COVID. That means 0.2% of the entire city has died of a disease. Even if 100% of the people had the disease (and it's really closer to 20-25% based on their antibody data), even that would be higher than the flu with an N of 8,000,000 as a sample.
Weird shoving sick people back in nursing homes could have bad outcomes?!?!, who would have fucking thought that.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:17 PM 05-21-2020
But therein lies the human challenge. Minority and majority opinions and sentiment are literally being warped and changed daily. Every spike in the death rate, every dip in new cases, every new way the disease can be contracted, every potential mutation. It only kills old people. Now it’s killing kids. It’s been here since February. No, wait, maybe November. It lives for six days on surfaces. UV light can kill it.

We’d all be better off if we just swallowed our egos and admitted that none of us have a fucking clue what’s going on.

The talking heads tell us one thing, the data tells us another. My opinion is the same as others, but not the same as yours. I feel I’m a majority and so does everyone else.

It’s a socioeconomic cluster fuck on a scale like we’ve never seen.
I don't really give a shit about what you feel; that's the problem: some of us are trying to debate facts, and others act like uninformed opinions have equal validity as data-driven research.

This is just an elaborate rationalization for ignorance and intellectual laziness. It reminds me of a bad student paper wherein the writer doesn't attempt to construct a counterargument because, "everyone has a bias."

There are a lot of things we don't know, but there are also a lot of things we can say definitively.

*We know that social distancing works. This has been proven in the past and with studies of the virus' spread after the initiation of lockdowns.
*We know that the virus is spread primarily through respiratory droplets and that fomite transmission is much less likely
*We know that mask wearing reduces transmission of the virus
*We have learned a lot about the pathophysiology of the disease, which allows clinicians to treat it better (proning, coagulopathies, cytokine storm)
*We know that risk is correlated with age and comorbidity

We don't yet know if we'll have a vaccine, and there are no therapeutic silver bullets, but to say that nobody knows anything speaks to a gargantuan level of ignorance that you're projecting onto the rest of the scientific community when it's really just your own.
[Reply]
Strongside 10:18 PM 05-21-2020
And I’m sorry to have gotten so frustrated here. Those who know me on this board know I’m not big on confrontation. The current state of society has me up to my eyeballs in horse shit and frustration, as I’m sure you can all relate.

I genuinely respect the opinions and smarts on this board, and have found this thread to be both useful and entertaining.

Hope you’re all well.
[Reply]
Strongside 10:19 PM 05-21-2020
I don't really give a shit about what you feel; that's the problem: some of us are trying to debate facts, and others act like uninformed opinions have equal validity as data-driven research.

This is just an elaborate rationalization for ignorance and intellectual laziness. It reminds me of a bad student paper wherein the writer doesn't attempt to construct a counterargument because, "everyone has a bias."

There are a lot of things we don't know, but there are also a lot of things we can say definitively.

*We know that social distancing works. This has been proven in the past and with studies of the virus' spread after the initiation of lockdowns.
*We know that the virus is spread primarily through respiratory droplets and that fomite transmission is much less likely
*We know that mask wearing reduces transmission of the virus
*We have learned a lot about the pathophysiology of the disease, which allows clinicians to treat it better (proning, coagulopathies, cytokine storm)
*We know that risk is correlated with age and comorbidity

We don't yet know if we'll have a vaccine, and there are no therapeutic silver bullets, but to say that nobody knows anything speaks to a gargantuan level of ignorance that you're projecting onto the rest of the scientific community when it's really just your own.
I FEEL sorry for how seriously you take yourself #OnHere sometimes, but hey.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:25 PM 05-21-2020
I FEEL sorry for how seriously you take yourself #OnHere sometimes, but hey.
Uninformed ideas about public health have real life consequences. It's a lot more important than what happens in a football game, and it absolutely should be taken seriously.
[Reply]
Page 2165 of 3903
« First < 1165166520652115215521612162216321642165 216621672168216921752215226526653165 > Last »
Up