ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>NYC's $15 Minimum WageóNow Officially a Disaster
BucEyedPea 07:45 AM 08-13-2019
Real world proof, nothing Loneiguana claimed has materialized—and NEVER will.
New York City’s $15 minimum wage, which began to take effect Dec. 31, 2018, was meant to bolster earnings and quality of life, but for a lot of residents, it’s doing the opposite...

“Many people working in the restaurant industry wanted to work overtime hours, but due to the increase, many restaurants have cut back or totally eliminated any overtime work,” Andrew Riggie, executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, told Fox News. “There’s only so much consumers are willing to pay for a burger or a bowl of pasta.”

Roughly 77 percent of NYC restaurants have slashed employee hours. Thirty-six percent said they had to layoff employees and 90 percent had to increase prices following the minimum wage hike, according to a NYC Hospitality Alliance survey taken just one month after the bill took effect.

Only about 4 percent of survey respondents indicated that none of the above changes took place in their restaurants.

“What it really forces you to do is make sure that nobody works more than 40 hours,” Susannah Koteen, owner of Lido Restaurant in Harlem, told Fox News. “You can only cut back so many people before the service starts to suffer.”

NYC restaurants are taking hits from Cuomo’s push, but Washington doesn’t seem to have received the memo. The House passed the Raise The Wage Act in July, which mandated a nation-wide $15 minimum wage. The bill was later blocked by the Senate.

The bill would have effectively doubled the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr. There is dismal 6 percent support for a nation-wide $15 wage hike among economists, according to Fox News surveys.

Cuomo’s office did not respond to a request for comment from the Daily Caller News Foundation by the time of publishing.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...disaster-71761

[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:41 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't really know anyone in the min. wage pool except restaurant employees who even though they may be "labeled" as Min. Wage are bringing in considerably more.

I was always told you could just about double a persons wage by adding in the benefits alone. For example if you make $15 the employer is actually shelling out closer to $30. Obviously that is a rough estimate.

Anybody making minimum wage trying to support a family has obviously failed somewhere along the line. No skills/Trade = low or no pay!
I know a shitload of service workers, and they ALL take home far more than I do right now. If any of these people think service workers a approaching homelessness, they sucked at serving.
[Reply]
warrior 04:29 PM 08-13-2019
You know who else sucks at serving-congress
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:25 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
I'm not sure I agree that tipping is stupid for things like bartenders or haircutters or valet parking attendants to name a few but I NEVER give tips to people working the cash register.

That is the most fucked up thing I've ever seen. I'm supposed to give you EXTRA money for doing your job??? WTF??? :-)
That's basically why tipping is fucking stupid now. It's perfectly fine when it's a reward for great service, but now it's turned into the expectation and I feel like I'm just subsidizing a cheap ass owner.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 05:35 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
So the cash register employee shouldn't expect extra money for doing their job, but the bartender, haircutter, and valets should? You don't find that contradictory?

The entire tipping structure in the US is unnecessary. Everywhere else in the world manages to pay bartenders, haircutters, and valets a full wage, and not rely on the unpredictable generosity of strangers to hopefully provide what the employers don't. But it's not a reliable process and never has been.
Oh go live in Europe if that's what you want. Let's keep America free where people can reward service based on its quality instead of sucky, slow and rude Euro-commie waiters.
[Reply]
Dayze 05:56 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
if a person makes $17.50/hr at a skilled trade, and minimum wage is rasied to $15....why would that person continue to work a skilled, and possibly stressful job when they could quit and get a couple Mcjobs for close to the same money?

Its encouraging people to sit on ass and be stagnant which ultimately screws the middle class by shoving them closer to the poverty line.

Instead of making a McJob more rewarding, why not encourage that same person working the McJob to apply themselves and get a better job? Rewarding performance seems more valuable overall.

Incentivize growth and development.
Boom.
[Reply]
Dayze 06:00 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I know a shitload of service workers, and they ALL take home far more than I do right now. If any of these people think service workers a approaching homelessness, they sucked at serving.
Agreed And likely a large portion of that isnít taxed because itís not reported.

So thatís awesome.
[Reply]
Dayze 06:04 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
I tip when I receive some sort of customized service. A haricutter provides a customized service. Some types of waitresses provide customized services. Bartenders *might*, depending on what is ordered (but I WILL tip early on at a crowded bar so the bartender notices me and I don't get ignored on the next round :-))
That.
my father in law who is 10000% Italian, is who taught me about it lol. Though....didnít call it that.

Overtip at the beginning of a night like that, and watch the sea part /bartender ignore everyone else when you come up to the bar. They get it, know whatís up.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 06:12 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
Not at all, Here is another illustration. You own a subway your open 10 hours day 7 days a week. You keep 2 minimum wage employees in the store at all times who run the store for you. Thats 140 Man hours a week. Nothing in your rent/insurance or costs of product changes. The only change is going from $7.25 to $15. You sell $5 footlongs. Your labor cost just went up $1085 per week.

How do you adjust for that weekly $1085/week in increased labor costs? You can do several things to offset that. Otherwise your losing money.
A.) Increase your prices
B.) Cut the hours and do more of the work yourself
C.) Sell 31 more $5 footlongs per day.
You can do the math however you want to try to disprove what happens in the real world, but the real world is still saying that subway is in Seattle operating just fine without any noticeable price increase.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 06:15 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Don't forget the increase in 401K match, payroll taxes, unemployment tax, workman's comp and other costs that are also increased along with that wage increase.

I don't care if people make more money, but if you want to make more money, do something so you qualify for a better than min wage job. Waitresses might make less than min wage hourly without tips, but they're doing better than that.

I see posts saying it won't affect business and profit? Anyone who says that knows nothing about small business, small town business. There are a lot of mom-pop businesses who cannot absorb that increase.
Why should I care about a small business that cant pay a living wage to its employees and turn a profit? Let em fail, the hand of the market will allow a better business that can pay a living wage to meet that demand.

The american government shouldnt be subsidizing labor costs of private companies. The companies and the consumers should pay for that labor.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 06:30 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
if a person makes $17.50/hr at a skilled trade, and minimum wage is rasied to $15....why would that person continue to work a skilled, and possibly stressful job when they could quit and get a couple Mcjobs for close to the same money?

Its encouraging people to sit on ass and be stagnant which ultimately screws the middle class by shoving them closer to the poverty line.

Instead of making a McJob more rewarding, why not encourage that same person working the McJob to apply themselves and get a better job? Rewarding performance seems more valuable overall.

Incentivize growth and development.
Why would you quit your job when your negotiating position increased with a minimum wage increase? Just to earn less money? That makes zero sense.

A smart person would use their skill to get a higher wage comparative to the new wage floor. They would use the fact they can go to a non skilled job at a similar pay to negotiate a higher pay for themselves.

/if your only making 17 an hour right now in a skilled trade, you are under paid.
[Reply]
notorious 06:58 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
So the cash register employee shouldn't expect extra money for doing their job, but the bartender, haircutter, and valets should? You don't find that contradictory?

The entire tipping structure in the US is unnecessary. Everywhere else in the world manages to pay bartenders, haircutters, and valets a full wage, and not rely on the unpredictable generosity of strangers to hopefully provide what the employers don't. But it's not a reliable process and never has been.
Here’s a little secret. Tips are “capped” when it come to income tax.....

Do the good tip earners really want to start paying taxes on a majority of their tips? They would lose money while the shitty workers take advantage.
[Reply]
scho63 07:36 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
People who have never owned a business, been responsible for running a business, hired an employee or know zero about profit and loss have no business establishing wages for any job much less an entry level low skill role.
You mean Democrats?
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:59 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Why should I care about a small business that cant pay a living wage to its employees and turn a profit? Let em fail, the hand of the market will allow a better business that can pay a living wage to meet that demand.

The american government shouldnt be subsidizing labor costs of private companies. The companies and the consumers should pay for that labor.

Wanna know how I know you've never taken a risk or done anything for yourself?
[Reply]
scho63 10:02 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:

This just went to the top of your dumb posts list. Oh brother are you misinformed. :-)
[Reply]
Boise_Chief 11:05 PM 08-13-2019
I don't have the time or inclination to read all the replys to this thread. I have owned 3 restaurants and currently have 15 employees in a different service industry. Minimum wage is a sham it is only there to make people feel better about thier ideology.

Let me break down how this works.

Minimum wage increases to 15 or 20 or 50 per hour. Immediately everything increases, food housing every non regulated cost of living goes up. Every cost goes up and every salary goes up. But....

They don't go up in an even manner. If you make 15 now and minimum goes to 15 instead of a 100 increase 7.25x2 which is what you were making you now make 17. You are now worse off than when you started. The entry non skilled worker is temporarily better and then cost of living catches up. Very short term. 6 mos and the poor are still poor living paycheck to paycheck and barely scraping by.

Nothing changes and no one benefits. The opposite is true those that have rising to a semi skilled trade now are worse off. My people make between 50% and 100% above min wage and they are who will take the brunt of an increase.

If you disagree you need to rethink your position and then watch any increase. It has happened this way for every increase I have watched since min wage was 3.35
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up