ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 13
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>NYC's $15 Minimum Wage—Now Officially a Disaster
BucEyedPea 07:45 AM 08-13-2019
Real world proof, nothing Loneiguana claimed has materialized—and NEVER will.
New York City’s $15 minimum wage, which began to take effect Dec. 31, 2018, was meant to bolster earnings and quality of life, but for a lot of residents, it’s doing the opposite...

“Many people working in the restaurant industry wanted to work overtime hours, but due to the increase, many restaurants have cut back or totally eliminated any overtime work,” Andrew Riggie, executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, told Fox News. “There’s only so much consumers are willing to pay for a burger or a bowl of pasta.”

Roughly 77 percent of NYC restaurants have slashed employee hours. Thirty-six percent said they had to layoff employees and 90 percent had to increase prices following the minimum wage hike, according to a NYC Hospitality Alliance survey taken just one month after the bill took effect.

Only about 4 percent of survey respondents indicated that none of the above changes took place in their restaurants.

“What it really forces you to do is make sure that nobody works more than 40 hours,” Susannah Koteen, owner of Lido Restaurant in Harlem, told Fox News. “You can only cut back so many people before the service starts to suffer.”

NYC restaurants are taking hits from Cuomo’s push, but Washington doesn’t seem to have received the memo. The House passed the Raise The Wage Act in July, which mandated a nation-wide $15 minimum wage. The bill was later blocked by the Senate.

The bill would have effectively doubled the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr. There is dismal 6 percent support for a nation-wide $15 wage hike among economists, according to Fox News surveys.

Cuomo’s office did not respond to a request for comment from the Daily Caller News Foundation by the time of publishing.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...disaster-71761

[Reply]
Johnny Vegas 12:22 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Dayze:
imagine how awesome the guy or gal who started at $8/ hour and worked their buts off for the past X years and now makes $16/hr will feel when joe blow off the street can come in making a buck less an hour than they do. I be they'd think that's pretty awesome.
Ask any woman
[Reply]
2bikemike 12:23 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Look around you. Look at all the businesses, small and large.

Then realize that this country has been raising the minimum wage (slowly, but still raising it) for damn near 80 years.

Have you ever noticed what your worried about happening when the government raises minimum wage to such an effect it negatively affect the economy? No.
As you said slowly, Have they ever increased it by 100%? Show me the math where Income minus expenses can equal the same profit margin when you drastically change the expense side of the equation. Your arguments might be all well and good for the Amazons and Walmarts who take in enormous profits. But the guy owning one Jimmy Johns or Subway is going to suffer.

We all agree that people should make more money. Where we disagree is How. I have full faith in the American Way. Work hard and better yourself. Don't wait for some Government bureaucracy to come in and save you. I worked minimum wage jobs when I was a kid and I never stayed minimum wage for long. I busted my ass while at work. I came in when others wouldn't. I was valuable to my employer and was paid for that value.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:24 PM 08-13-2019
Have minimum abilities and resources, get minimum wage. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:25 PM 08-13-2019
There's people stupid enough to go to work in NYC?
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:26 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
I don't get where you are headed here? Are you saying that these bottom tier job holders will never be able to amass any wealth at the current levels/numbers? I would agree with that if so. But, again, that's not the reason for these low level jobs.

I've gotta go to work. Will check back in tonight. Enjoy your afternoon :-)
No, I'm saying that inflation has increased at a much quicker pace than we have raised the minimum wage.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:31 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
As you said slowly, Have they ever increased it by 100%? Show me the math where Income minus expenses can equal the same profit margin when you drastically change the expense side of the equation. Your arguments might be all well and good for the Amazons and Walmarts who take in enormous profits. But the guy owning one Jimmy Johns or Subway is going to suffer.

We all agree that people should make more money. Where we disagree is How. I have full faith in the American Way. Work hard and better yourself. Don't wait for some Government bureaucracy to come in and save you. I worked minimum wage jobs when I was a kid and I never stayed minimum wage for long. I busted my ass while at work. I came in when others wouldn't. I was valuable to my employer and was paid for that value.
Look at Seattle. Franchise and small business owners are still there, still earning a profit.
[Reply]
2bikemike 12:38 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
In other words, they can't hack it unless tippers are taking care of their payroll in addition to purchasing products. The restaurant industry has been spoiled.
One of the restaurants that I frequent here has added a surcharge onto their bills to cover employee costs. I just reduce my tip by that amount.

Personally I wish we would do away with tipping. I have known a lot of service industry employees that relied on tips. Do you think they report all those earnings? Restaurants should just charge what it costs to cover their costs.

Same with the freaking Airlines, and hotel industry. They all have their hidden costs. It pisses me off to no end to pay a freaking resort fee. And while I am on the rant Ticketmaster can pound sand with all their fees. I refuse to buy a ticket from them.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:40 PM 08-13-2019
No, I'm saying that inflation has increased at a much quicker pace than we have raised the minimum wage.
How about other salaries and per hour paying jobs? Have they remained stagnant over the years as well?
[Reply]
2bikemike 12:41 PM 08-13-2019
Look at Seattle. Franchise and small business owners are still there, still earning a profit.
If its the same profit margin they changed something in the equation. Math is math.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:53 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
How about other salaries and per hour paying jobs? Have they remained stagnant over the years as well?
Um, yeah. Wages of stagnated in America since the 80s, largely due to Republicans Anti-worker policies.

Originally Posted by :
hAfter adjusting for inflation, however, today’s average hourly wage has just about the same purchasing power it did in 1978, following a long slide in the 1980s and early 1990s and bumpy, inconsistent growth since then. In fact, in real terms average hourly earnings peaked more than 45 years ago: The $4.03-an-hour rate recorded in January 1973 had the same purchasing power that $23.68 would today.

A similar measure – the “usual weekly earnings” of employed, full-time wage and salary workers – tells much the same story, albeit over a shorter time period. In seasonally adjusted current dollars, median usual weekly earnings rose from $232 in the first quarter of 1979 (when the data series began) to $879 in the second quarter of this year, which might sound like a lot. But in real, inflation-adjusted terms, the median has barely budged over that period: That $232 in 1979 had the same purchasing power as $840 in today’s dollars.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-decades/
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:55 PM 08-13-2019
If its the same profit margin they changed something in the equation. Math is math.
Your math is wrong and based on assumptions that aren't true.

"If Income remains the same"

It doesn't. Only a fool looks at a increase in consumer purchasing power and assumes "income remains the same".
[Reply]
Bowser 12:55 PM 08-13-2019
That's amazing. How does anyone in this country afford anything anymore?
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 12:57 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
That's amazing. How does anyone in this country afford anything anymore?
Go get an education or a trade. It’s not hard.
[Reply]
2bikemike 01:02 PM 08-13-2019
Your math is wrong and based on assumptions that aren't true.

"If Income remains the same"

It doesn't. Only a fool looks at a increase in consumer purchasing power and assumes "income remains the same".
You are assuming that a business can increase labor costs by X% and that equates to the exact same increase in sales. Do you really think a Subway franchise can increase the number of sandwiches sold to cover those increased labor costs?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 01:07 PM 08-13-2019
One of the restaurants that I frequent here has added a surcharge onto their bills to cover employee costs. I just reduce my tip by that amount.

Personally I wish we would do away with tipping. I have known a lot of service industry employees that relied on tips. Do you think they report all those earnings? Restaurants should just charge what it costs to cover their costs.

Same with the freaking Airlines, and hotel industry. They all have their hidden costs. It pisses me off to no end to pay a freaking resort fee. And while I am on the rant Ticketmaster can pound sand with all their fees. I refuse to buy a ticket from them.
I made a LOT while waitressing through art school compared to other students. Certain men, who were regulars would tip me $5 for just a cup of coffee. And coffee was not $4-$5 then. Other students always said I had so much money in my pocket; were baffled by it. I was able to skip class now and again, and fly to NYC to see the latest NY Illustrator Society Shows and loved it. It's a great way to earn money through college. Bartending makes even more.

I'm for keeping tips. I just am sick n' tired of tip jars at dry cleaners, pick-up your own food or self-serve places. Pissing me off. They don't do anything extra for the money. I will tip hotel cleaning staff, shuttles, massage therapist and hair dressers though.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 13
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up