ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>NYC's $15 Minimum WageŚNow Officially a Disaster
BucEyedPea 07:45 AM 08-13-2019
Real world proof, nothing Loneiguana claimed has materialized—and NEVER will.
New York City’s $15 minimum wage, which began to take effect Dec. 31, 2018, was meant to bolster earnings and quality of life, but for a lot of residents, it’s doing the opposite...

“Many people working in the restaurant industry wanted to work overtime hours, but due to the increase, many restaurants have cut back or totally eliminated any overtime work,” Andrew Riggie, executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, told Fox News. “There’s only so much consumers are willing to pay for a burger or a bowl of pasta.”

Roughly 77 percent of NYC restaurants have slashed employee hours. Thirty-six percent said they had to layoff employees and 90 percent had to increase prices following the minimum wage hike, according to a NYC Hospitality Alliance survey taken just one month after the bill took effect.

Only about 4 percent of survey respondents indicated that none of the above changes took place in their restaurants.

“What it really forces you to do is make sure that nobody works more than 40 hours,” Susannah Koteen, owner of Lido Restaurant in Harlem, told Fox News. “You can only cut back so many people before the service starts to suffer.”

NYC restaurants are taking hits from Cuomo’s push, but Washington doesn’t seem to have received the memo. The House passed the Raise The Wage Act in July, which mandated a nation-wide $15 minimum wage. The bill was later blocked by the Senate.

The bill would have effectively doubled the federal minimum wage of $7.25/hr. There is dismal 6 percent support for a nation-wide $15 wage hike among economists, according to Fox News surveys.

Cuomo’s office did not respond to a request for comment from the Daily Caller News Foundation by the time of publishing.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...disaster-71761

[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:29 AM 08-13-2019
Same thing happened with Obama care. Full time workers had hours cut so that business did not have to pay for insurance.

I know our AFSCME workers would be asking for a raise if everything went to 15. That would (further) bankrupt the school district.
[Reply]
Fish 11:30 AM 08-13-2019
The survey was taken only 1 month after the change was implemented. And the small businesses that were surveyed don't actually implement the change until the end of this year. Nobody surveyed has sufficient data to say how the change may affect them. This is fear from restaurant owners. The wage increase may turn out to be bad, but this isn't really proof of that.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:32 AM 08-13-2019
A valid argument can be made that $15/hr. is too much, but no valid argument can be made that $7.25 is enough for anyone.

I've never understood the middle class resentment of the working poor, considering everyone in the middle class is far closer to poverty than they are to being wealthy.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:39 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Same thing happened with Obama care. Full time workers had hours cut so that business did not have to pay for insurance.

I know our AFSCME workers would be asking for a raise if everything went to 15. That would (further) bankrupt the school district.
That's not an Obamacare problem, that's a "your employer sucks ass" problem.
[Reply]
warrior 11:42 AM 08-13-2019
According to a 2018 survey by the NYC Hospitality Alliance, many restaurants have raised prices (according to today's study, those increases have amounted to an average of "less than three percent a year since the minimum wage started to rise"), and some employers have scaled back employee hours and overtime. Nearly 50 percent of respondents to the Hospitality Alliance's survey said they would have to eliminate jobs in 2019 to make do.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 11:46 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I'm not triggered you dumpy twat.

Your problem is you're trying to grasp reality with a fist full of astroglide.

You're concerned about young people and seniors? Have you noticed that with increased wages things are happening to seniors like no more Walmart greeters?
It's almost like you don't know a ****ing thing about business or life outside the room at your mom's house.

I definitely would have paid her $15 to have just farted you out before your egg attached to her colon wall.
There you are acting all triggered again because I posted positive news about minimum wage increases. Son, people can see you.

Let's look at what the data says about jobs and minimum wage increases... Seattle raised their minimum wage in 2015:

Originally Posted by :
(According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of jobs in restaurants and bars in the Seattle area has grown from 134,000 to 158,000 since 2015.)
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/20...?ICID=ref_fark
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:46 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by warrior:
According to a 2018 survey by the NYC Hospitality Alliance, many restaurants have raised prices (according to today's study, those increases have amounted to an average of "less than three percent a year since the minimum wage started to rise"), and some employers have scaled back employee hours and overtime. Nearly 50 percent of respondents to the Hospitality Alliance's survey said they would have to eliminate jobs in 2019 to make do.
In other words, they can't hack it unless tippers are taking care of their payroll in addition to purchasing products. The restaurant industry has been spoiled.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 11:49 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
If the pay is not artificially inflated by the government, your senerio doesn't hold up.
Inflation has outpaced minimum wage gains significantly.

Your argument is invalid before it even got past the first sentence.
[Reply]
Johnny Vegas 11:49 AM 08-13-2019
Families and people will be able to afford going out once in awhile at $15/hr. Even possibly quit the job that provided the $15/hr and create their own path to self employment or affording education to move up that so many positions require. That ultimately is the key. Easier said than done but it’s futile if we don’t increase the current minimum wage. Nobody is encouraging a career flipping burger except if your McDonalds.
[Reply]
2bikemike 11:54 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
A valid argument can be made that $15/hr. is too much, but no valid argument can be made that $7.25 is enough for anyone.

I've never understood the middle class resentment of the working poor, considering everyone in the middle class is far closer to poverty than they are to being wealthy.
I am not against anyone making more money. Its just how you go about it. I think its up to the individual to better himself or be the best damn employee to increase is his/her value to the employer.

As an example I have several friends with small businesses. A couple are franchise fast food restaurant owners. They aren't making a fortune. They are all middle to upper middle class. They risked their capital to build the business. They provide jobs to those that need it.

The bottom line is Income minus Expenses= profit or income for the business owner. If Income remains the same and all the expenses excluding labor remain the same any increase in labor cost cuts into the income or profit from the owner.

Any increase in minimum wage will have a trickling affect. First off payroll taxes paid by the employer go up. All along the supply chain will probably see an increase in labor costs as well.

Somewhere along the line things will have to change. You either reduce labor costs, Increase prices or a combination of both. That is inevitable.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 11:55 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
A valid argument can be made that $15/hr. is too much, but no valid argument can be made that $7.25 is enough for anyone.

I've never understood the middle class resentment of the working poor, considering everyone in the middle class is far closer to poverty than they are to being wealthy.
I can make an argument that $7.25 in West Virginia is different than $7.25 in Beverly Hills. The bare minimum is/should be set for the bottom. If different areas need to raise their pay to retain workers, they are free to do it.

And I don't see the resentment you speak of. Myself personally, I want the poor to scratch, dig, and claw their way up the ladder. I don't want to hold them down to burger flippers their entire lives. To me, the government giving folks an artificially inflated salary just barely enough to live on in a dead end job is the true resentment. As if to say those folks are not smart enough to climb the ladder so we need to make the bottom rung as cozy as possible. I want that bottom rung to suck. I don't want folks getting comfortable there. :-)
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:00 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
I am not against anyone making more money. Its just how you go about it. I think its up to the individual to better himself or be the best damn employee to increase is his/her value to the employer.

As an example I have several friends with small businesses. A couple are franchise fast food restaurant owners. They aren't making a fortune. They are all middle to upper middle class. They risked their capital to build the business. They provide jobs to those that need it.

The bottom line is Income minus Expenses= profit or income for the business owner. If Income remains the same and all the expenses excluding labor remain the same any increase in labor cost cuts into the income or profit from the owner.

Any increase in minimum wage will have a trickling affect. First off payroll taxes paid by the employer go up. All along the supply chain will probably see an increase in labor costs as well.

Somewhere along the line things will have to change. You either reduce labor costs, Increase prices or a combination of both. That is inevitable.
Look around you. Look at all the businesses, small and large.

Then realize that this country has been raising the minimum wage (slowly, but still raising it) for damn near 80 years.

Have you ever noticed what your worried about happening when the government raises minimum wage to such an effect it negatively affect the economy? No.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 12:04 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Inflation has outpaced minimum wage gains significantly.

Your argument is invalid before it even got past the first sentence.
I don't get where you are headed here? Are you saying that these bottom tier job holders will never be able to amass any wealth at the current levels/numbers? I would agree with that if so. But, again, that's not the reason for these low level jobs.

I've gotta go to work. Will check back in tonight. Enjoy your afternoon :-)
[Reply]
Dayze 12:18 PM 08-13-2019
imagine how awesome the guy or gal who started at $8/ hour and worked their buts off for the past X years and now makes $16/hr will feel when joe blow off the street can come in making a buck less an hour than they do. I be they'd think that's pretty awesome.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 12:20 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Same thing happened with Obama care. Full time workers had hours cut so that business did not have to pay for insurance.

I know our AFSCME workers would be asking for a raise if everything went to 15. That would (further) bankrupt the school district.
Obamacare crushes small business and sent a lot of people home without jobs.

That was a huge travesty and the start of the Democratic domestic terrorism.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up