ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Jokes About Whining Farmers
NinerDoug 05:49 PM 08-12-2019
:-)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...cid=spartandhp

Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Tells Joke About Whining Farmers to Room Full of Farmers, Gets Boo'd

President Donald Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue cracked a joke that American farmers "whine" about Trump's trade war with China and got laughs as he intended but also boo's from audience members that seemingly found it insensitive.

"I had a farmer tell me this in Pennsylvania," Perdue said at a farm show in Minnesota last Wednesday, according to Agri-Pulse. "He said, 'What do you call two farmers in a basement?' I said 'I don't know, what do you call them?'"

Perdue said the farmer said: "A whine cellar."

There was laughter but boo's came as some members of the crowd did not find Perdue's joke funny, just two days after China declared it would no longer buy any American agricultural products to hit back at Trump for imposing an additional 10 percent tariff on Chinese goods.

Perdue made the joke at the end of a back-and-forth with farmer Mike Peterson of Northfield, Minnesota. Peterson said that a June Acreage report by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)'s National Agricultural Statistics Service was "speculative," which Perdue denied by saying the officials "are professional." Petersen then complained that the data has been released several weeks after farmers were surveyed and joked, "the show American Idol can tabulate how many votes in the course of an episode?"

Trump's tariffs on China have led to farmers filing bankruptcy at never-before-seen rates.

Minnesota Corn Growers Association President Brian Thalmann said farm producers are not "starting to do great again" and that "things are going downhill very quickly."

American Soybean Association member Joel Schreurs expressed concern about export markets with the ongoing trade war and predicted the markets are "just not going to come back in a day or two."

But Perdue stood by Trump's pressure on China and belief that the United States will come out on top in the end.

"China is going to buy where they see the best value, when we get the trade resolution done," Perdue said. "We're working on markets in India, Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia to develop other markets."

Farmers in other states have cast similar frustration with the president's trade war.

"It's really, really getting bad out here," longtime North Dakota farmer Bob Kuylen told CNBC on Saturday. "Trump is ruining our markets. No one is buying our product no more, and we have no markets no more."

The USDA did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Newsweek Monday regarding Perdue's joke.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:48 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
^deflection^
^TDS^
[Reply]
stevieray 08:02 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
^TDS^
^tapout^
[Reply]
Mr. Kotter 08:35 PM 08-13-2019
Heh...next?

[Reply]
Fish 09:43 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Meanwhile in Eastern Iowa we have one hell of a crop of weeds growing because farmers couldn't plant before June 1st.

Heres the deal.

Yeah, I get it, the Trump trade war sucks. Makes like uncertain. Shits not easy anymore.

But you know how trade wars end? With GIANT trade deals. I expect to see China and the US make some huge agreement around harvest, about 12 months before the election.

Until then just setback in that 70k pickup and relax.
The reason the market currently sucks is because of projections of how unlikely that is to actually happen. Bankruptcies have actually increased quite a bit over the last few years: https://www.agriculture.com/news/bus...s-report-shows
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:59 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
^tapout^
You never answered the question about "irony".
[Reply]
Shaid 01:27 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Meanwhile in Eastern Iowa we have one hell of a crop of weeds growing because farmers couldn't plant before June 1st.

Heres the deal.

Yeah, I get it, the Trump trade war sucks. Makes like uncertain. Shits not easy anymore.

But you know how trade wars end? With GIANT trade deals. I expect to see China and the US make some huge agreement around harvest, about 12 months before the election.

Until then just setback in that 70k pickup and relax.
I hope for the farmers sake that is true. I expect some small adjustments that will be touted as huge wins and ultimately will just show that the US can't really afford to play hardball in the future. I hope that's not the case. Small farmers are a dying breed.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up