ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 51 of 386
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101151 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
Fish 04:40 PM 08-07-2017
It was a little weird to see Jaime riding the horse along the beach in 1" of water toward the dragon, and fall off the horse and somehow sink 20' down...

[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 04:47 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Fish:
It was a little weird to see Jaime riding the horse along the beach in 1" of water toward the dragon, and fall off the horse and somehow sink 20' down...

Good point :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 04:54 PM 08-07-2017

[Reply]
Buehler445 05:13 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Again - there's no such thing as 'out of the reach' of the undead. They can reanimate anything. Moreover, they're going to eventually be among your own cities and castles - how precise you think dragonfire is in close quarters? It would be like carpetbombing enemies at your own gates.

There are myriad of reasons why 'duh - dragons' isn't the answer for the Walkers. And if the Walkers had a dragon of their own, this shit is over.
Biggest thing is that you can knock down a wight and night king is all like "nah try again"

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
This dude's recap captions are on point, but this week's are particularly hilarious:

http://imgur.com/a/TWGgF
Revenge of the Blackfish. :-)
[Reply]
Gravedigger 06:08 PM 08-07-2017

That's the first thing I thought too. That dropped off quick, wonder how many kids drown in that lake.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:12 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
That's the first thing I thought too. That dropped off quick, wonder how many kids drown in that lake.
I hadn't really thought about that before, but yeah, there should have at least been some no swimming signs posted. :-)
[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 07:22 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
I wonder if Bronn will bend the knee to Dany with Tyrion there. I don't see why she wouldn't easily give up a castle to him to control. Maybe Casterly Rock.
Bronn is a heartless merc that shot her dragon... Bronn be straight dead, when she gets hands on him.

Originally Posted by lcarus:
I was rewatching season 1 this weekend and I've never quite understood Varys and his intentions. He claims he is on "the side of the realm" because "someone must" but that just seems like a cop-out answer to me. I think Varys looks out for Varys and aligns with whomever gives him the best chance for survival and a place at the table.
disagree. Maybe that's what Varys was, but now I think he is legit when saying he wants the best for the realm.

wow, never gave that the attention deserved.. lmao
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 07:35 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I don't even think she had thought THAT far ahead. She was pissed that she had gotten her ass kicked to that point and was hellbent on some payback. I think it's a significant look into where her head is at when you couple this battle with her telling Jon Snow that he still needs to bend the knee despite the fact of hardcore proof of what's coming for them out of the north. She's slipping into Targaryen madness - a lust for power.
She didn't have to do ANY thinking ahead. Just simply look at the battle field. Unless those wagons were, somehow, attacking her forces... the Lannister army is still the better target by leaps and bounds.

Option A: Attack inanimate objects.
Option B: Attack the humans with sharp pointy objects that can injure my army.

Option fucking A it is.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:24 PM 08-07-2017
With the Stark family getting the party back together, has it occurred to anyone else that this ended up being a brilliantly-cloaked, pretty standard trope fantasy?

A bunch of young kids lose their parents. They go out into the world, get split up by the bad guys, gain a bunch of crazy new skills, and end up saving the world.

Not complaining. It's actually kind of impressive.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:39 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
With the Stark family getting the party back together, has it occurred to anyone else that this ended up being a brilliantly-cloaked, pretty standard trope fantasy?

A bunch of young kids lose their parents. They go out into the world, get split up by the bad guys, gain a bunch of crazy new skills, and end up saving the world.

Martin borrowed heavily from Dune in this regard. Ned was a carbon copy of Duke Leto - a good, heroic and noble man thrust into a dangerous political environment that was completely beyond his ability to understand. About halfway through the book I realized that he was going to die.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:44 PM 08-07-2017

I think what sets this series apart from others in this genre is how rich and full the rest of the world they are set in is. In most series there is only a singular, albeit super powerful, baddie while in this one we have several villains with varying degrees of ability to mess things up for our intrepid heroes.

Not only are there a large number of baddies but they are all extremely well constructed and each with a real possibility of assuming power over the whole thing.

If it weren't for his horrendous pace... this series would eclipse LotR as my favorite fantasy series.
[Reply]
RustShack 08:59 PM 08-07-2017

Hope they all make it(wouldn't mind if Sansa didn't though)... buuut I wouldn't be surprised if Jaqen pays Arya a visit.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:28 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by RustShack:
Hope they all make it(wouldn't mind if Sansa didn't though)... buuut I wouldn't be surprised if Jaqen pays Arya a visit.
Hmmm, never thought of that with all the other shit going on. Jaqen will not be happy the next time he sees her.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:39 PM 08-07-2017

The Red Wedding helps cloak this as well.

Robb Stark is set up to be the heir apparent after Ned's tragic death.

It doesn't work out, in fact, it gives the appearance that GRRM is flipping the standard tropes of fantasy.

What sets Martin apart is that his universe was so massive that the other children instead take up the mantle we all assumed Robb was holding. Hell, he even threw in his Aragorn (Jon Snow), who literally served as a ranger, but who has the bloodlines to be King of Westeros (with a sword that can kill Sauron, to boot).
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:48 PM 08-07-2017
The world building sets GOT apart from anything I am aware of. It's so extensive, detailed, and thorough that sometimes when listening to the history or reading the back stories that you forget the events didn't really happen.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 386
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101151 > Last »
Up