ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 61 of 324
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111161 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:29 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Nelson is really the victim of being targeted so much. He had a good stop rate, but because he was targeted so damn much the cameras also caught him giving up catches a lot.

He's an average player that sometimes has a total breakdown for one reason or another. I think they got their value from him at that draft slot and I'd probably leave it at that with him and let him sign a big deal somewhere else.

His cap figure is where it's at today in large because of restructures into a bonus and kicking his can down the road. Looking at OTC right now, he has a base of 15.2 for 2019 and I think he wouldn't struggle to match that in an open market where all the top edge guys aren't on it.

He would definitely get a figure way North of what his base would be if the Chiefs were to cut his salary enough to have a comfortable cap charge this season. That's without beginning to even factor in, what if he doesn't translate well in the change? A down year and flipping over to the wrong side of 30 would be a crusher when the Chiefs release him next year, which would be a total lock in any situation sans an extension.
The uncertainty of his fit in the 4-3 is definitely a wrench. The Chiefs may not want to extend him if they don't know his fit.

What's a fair comparison? aybe Jason Pierre-Paul or Calais Campbell? (Ryan Kerrigan / Clay Matthews in a 3-4). $60M players. So we ask Houston to take a $60M contract with a $15M bonus. Houston makes the same amount of money this year but now he's virtually guaranteed until retirement. We save money (potentially a lot in year 1). Win win.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:08 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
We traded down 8 years.

Not sure if Spags is young enough for today's defensive tasks and offensive schemes
What does she have to do with this? You think Reid is going to be here another 8 years?

What is the age of the DC of the top ten defenses in the NFL?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:05 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The uncertainty of his fit in the 4-3 is definitely a wrench. The Chiefs may not want to extend him if they don't know his fit.

What's a fair comparison? aybe Jason Pierre-Paul or Calais Campbell? (Ryan Kerrigan / Clay Matthews in a 3-4). $60M players. So we ask Houston to take a $60M contract with a $15M bonus. Houston makes the same amount of money this year but now he's virtually guaranteed until retirement. We save money (potentially a lot in year 1). Win win.
The downside is you possibly just locked yourself into a shitty deal that you could have escaped. The first time he goes down with an injury, CP would lose its fucking mind.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:13 PM 01-25-2019
No way you pay Houston for 4 more years. He's clearly lost a step and didn't seem to be super motivated until the last 1/4 of the season + playoffs.

I worry about Jones pulling a Houston or a Berry with injuries or slowdown. I'm not worried about Hill at all. Although obviously anything can happen.

Everyone is like - you can't pay Ford because he's a one hit wonder. Well Jones is too to some degree. I have a theory that some of these guys risk it and get on some performance enhancers before their contract year. But then they go back to just being good. Jones came in completely jacked this year. If he was always some super low bodyfat freak I wouldn't be as suspicious.

Not that I thought that about Berry or Houston - they were great from day 1. Which is the kind of person you pay. We just got super unlucky with them.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:33 PM 01-25-2019
I’ll donate $50 to CP if a mod changes BleedingRed to BleedingVagina
[Reply]
BleedingRed 05:35 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I’ll donate $50 to CP if a mod changes BleedingRed to BleedingVagina
Because I bring up valid points?
[Reply]
Hoover 05:38 PM 01-25-2019
I bite the bullet on Houston this year and also tag Ford. If you are looking for cap space call Berry.
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:39 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Because I bring up valid points?
Yeah sure.....it's because of that. :-)
[Reply]
BleedingRed 05:44 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Yeah sure.....it's because of that. :-)
Sorry I’m not excited for a defensive rebuild?

I mean spare me “we have the personal” that’s TBD, like I said many times would have preferred any 3-4 coach
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 05:51 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:

Everyone is like - you can't pay Ford because he's a one hit wonder. Well Jones is too to some degree. I have a theory that some of these guys risk it and get on some performance enhancers before their contract year. But then they go back to just being good. Jones came in completely jacked this year. If he was always some super low bodyfat freak I wouldn't be as suspicious.

Valid point. A lot of highlights showed the Pats abusing him with the rush.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:52 PM 01-25-2019
Sorry I’m not excited for a defensive rebuild?

I mean spare me “we have the personal” that’s TBD, like I said many times would have preferred any 3-4 coach
How fucking stubborn are you gonna be about this?

The 3-4 and 4-3 under are extremely similar and yet the 4-3 under still puts our current personnel in a better position to do what each player does best. But even beyond that, they’re not even in the base defense for a huge chunk of the time. Holy fuck, dude.

You act like they would have been better off keeping the exact same playbook that Sutton instituted and just changing the coach. It’s silly.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 06:07 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
How ****ing stubborn are you gonna be about this?

The 3-4 and 4-3 under are extremely similar and yet the 4-3 under still puts our current personnel in a better position to do what each player does best. But even beyond that, they’re not even in the base defense for a huge chunk of the time. Holy ****, dude.

You act like they would have been better off keeping the exact same playbook that Sutton instituted and just changing the coach. It’s silly.
I’m not being stubborn I’m stating facts that 2 of your 3 top pass rushers are now question marks. Jesus
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:09 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
How ****ing stubborn are you gonna be about this?

The 3-4 and 4-3 under are extremely similar and yet the 4-3 under still puts our current personnel in a better position to do what each player does best. But even beyond that, they’re not even in the base defense for a huge chunk of the time. Holy ****, dude.

Nancy's real stubborn.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:10 PM 01-25-2019
I’m not being stubborn I’m stating facts that 2 of your 3 top pass rushers are now question marks. Jesus
How do you figure? Houston’s job wouldn’t be all that different and Ford would actually get to do more of he is best at, rushing the passer.
[Reply]
The Franchise 06:12 PM 01-25-2019
There is only ONE question mark and that is Dee Ford. And that's up to Spags on if he wants him back. Houston could fit right in at SLB and do what he basically does right now.
[Reply]
Page 61 of 324
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571111161 > Last »
Up