ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 194 of 207
« First < 94144184190191192193194 195196197198204 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
The Poz 01:04 PM 06-19-2008
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 09:40 PM 04-30-2023
I was in the right spot/right time with some unallocated money after I quit smoking about 25 years ago +/-. Quit smoking about the time that Pappy Van Winkle passed away and his son or grandson released a whole bunch of really old bourbon the old man had set aside to 'mellow'. I had money that didn't have to pay bills briefly and got some 12 year old and some 18 year old Pappy, and I keep it hidden away to celebrate with. It's just a 'high wheat' recipe bourbon, smooth, that's been aged in oak a long, long time. It's smoother than my ex-wifes backside - that's saying something. When the Chiefs win the superbowl, out comes that bottle of 18 year old Pappy for a shot or 2. But it don't come out for just winning over the Oakland faders, it's superbowl whiskey. If we beat the fade, out comes the 'Ten High'. Oh, we'll drink it. But the fade don't deserve the really good whusk.
[Reply]
O.city 06:44 AM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Would like to give a big thank you and shoot out to O.City!!!
He hooked me up with some bourbon. I much appreciate your help in acquiring this hard to find, for me, bourbon.
No problem dude.
[Reply]
O.city 06:44 AM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Had some Jack Daniels Coy Hill (141.7 proof) this evening - amazing.
It's like straight diesel fuel
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:20 PM 05-01-2023
GloryDayz must have done something right, Mrs. GloryDayz brought home a nice little treat (on a Monday)...

[Reply]
Shag 11:27 PM 05-01-2023
Been on a rye kick lately, specifically ones very heavy on the rye. A few recent favorites:
- High West Double Rye
- Pikesville
- Willett 4yr

Anyone have recommendations on high rye whiskeys?
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:08 AM 05-02-2023
Originally Posted by Shag:
Been on a rye kick lately, specifically ones very heavy on the rye. A few recent favorites:
- High West Double Rye
- Pikesville
- Willett 4yr

Angel's Envy Rye... smells like maple syrup to me, it's amazing.
Sagamore Rye (pretty sure I bought it at Raised By Wolves in SD)
Oak & Eden
And my favorite all time is Distillery 291 'M' (but it's $110)
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:31 AM 05-02-2023
If anyone in PA wants to join a bourbon lottery....

https://www.finewineandgoodspirits.c...0051&langId=-1
[Reply]
asdf 10:13 AM 05-02-2023
Originally Posted by Shag:
- High West Double Rye
- Pikesville
- Willett 4yr

"high rye whiskeys" can mean different things...
Do you mean high rye bourbons, or high rye ryes?
You mention Pikesville (which is one of my all time favorite whiskys) - however it is "only" 51% rye.

Anyway I digress - I like the following ryes regardless of the rye content...
Wild Turkey 101 Rye
Russel's Reserve Rye
Knob Creek Rye
James E Pepper 1776 Rye

And some "high" rye bourbons:
Old Grand Dad (27%)
4 Roses Single Barrel (35%)

For something new and different (if you can find it)
Powers Irish Rye Whiskey

Also, here's a link that might be helpful -
https://whiskyadvocate.com/rye-whiskey-scale-list/

cheers :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:33 AM 05-02-2023
+1 Knob Creek Rye, dangerously tasty
Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye was the first higher proof bourbon/rye that I really enjoy
[Reply]
Shag 01:27 PM 05-02-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Angel's Envy Rye... smells like maple syrup to me, it's amazing.
Sagamore Rye (pretty sure I bought it at Raised By Wolves in SD)
Oak & Eden
And my favorite all time is Distillery 291 'M' (but it's $110)
I've had the first two, and you're right on the Angel's Envy, reminded me of pancakes. Pretty wild, and fun to share with people for the first time. The Sagamore was more my style, want to try some of their varieties.

I'll check out the other two, thanks!
[Reply]
Shag 01:29 PM 05-02-2023
Originally Posted by asdf:
"high rye whiskeys" can mean different things...
Do you mean high rye bourbons, or high rye ryes?
You mention Pikesville (which is one of my all time favorite whiskys) - however it is "only" 51% rye.
Fair point, I'm not really down with the lingo, apparently. Basically, I'm looking for very rye-forward whiskeys, which I assume will all be rye whiskeys. I like the spiciness and bite on the tongue.

Originally Posted by :
Anyway I digress - I like the following ryes regardless of the rye content...
Wild Turkey 101 Rye
Russel's Reserve Rye
Knob Creek Rye
James E Pepper 1776 Rye

And some "high" rye bourbons:
Old Grand Dad (27%)
4 Roses Single Barrel (35%)

For something new and different (if you can find it)
Powers Irish Rye Whiskey

Also, here's a link that might be helpful -
https://whiskyadvocate.com/rye-whiskey-scale-list/

cheers :-)
I've had a few of those, will look into the others. Thanks!
[Reply]
teedubya 07:45 PM 05-02-2023
Is there any high-grade corn whiskey / bourbon that is specifically created with heirloom corn that you know of?
[Reply]
ghak99 10:20 AM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by teedubya:
Is there any high-grade corn whiskey / bourbon that is specifically created with heirloom corn that you know of?
If by heirloom you mean some of the old bloody butcher varieties, yes. Most overly rely on their farm to bottle marketing scheme stories though.

A buddy tried something from a company called Jeptha Creed and said it was decent and taste tested something they have coming in the future that he said was even better.
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 05:27 PM 05-05-2023
I found some Very Old Barton (henceforth VOB) 86 proof today. They release VOB 86, 90 and BIB/100 and maybe some others, these I've seen. It's a 'bottom shelf' bourbon these days after changing hands several times - but it's a pretty good buy. Used to be 6 years old when I started drinking it, usually 'only' 4 years old these days but I can vouch for that 86 proof @ 4 years being well worth the asking price. I seldom see it here in the Kansas 'burbs and won't tell you where I'm buying it (I want more, to heck with you guys) but I will recommend you start watching for it. The 86 is 'what I'm used to' - my daily pour is another 86 and this stuff 'tastes right'. But I used to drink more 90 and 100 proof whiskey, if you see any VOB 90 or 100 I'll recommend 'em both as being well worth their (low) asking price. VOB = VGB (very good buy).
[Reply]
srvy 05:44 PM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
I found some Very Old Barton (henceforth VOB) 86 proof today. They release VOB 86, 90 and BIB/100 and maybe some others, these I've seen. It's a 'bottom shelf' bourbon these days after changing hands several times - but it's a pretty good buy. Used to be 6 years old when I started drinking it, usually 'only' 4 years old these days but I can vouch for that 86 proof @ 4 years being well worth the asking price. I seldom see it here in the Kansas 'burbs and won't tell you where I'm buying it (I want more, to heck with you guys) but I will recommend you start watching for it. The 86 is 'what I'm used to' - my daily pour is another 86 and this stuff 'tastes right'. But I used to drink more 90 and 100 proof whiskey, if you see any VOB 90 or 100 I'll recommend 'em both as being well worth their (low) asking price. VOB = VGB (very good buy).
I haven't seen that one around these parts for a very long time. Good find.
[Reply]
Page 194 of 207
« First < 94144184190191192193194 195196197198204 > Last »
Up