ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official Concussion Protocol Thread ***
BigRedChief 05:25 PM 01-17-2021
Lets get this information available here. I'll update the OP with the current info.

Posted on ESPN and talked about live on ESPN......

Wednesday am

Kansas City Chiefs
quarterback Patrick Mahomes remains in the NFL's concussion protocol, and it's too early to say that he definitely will play in Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the Buffalo Bills, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Mahomes cleared certain steps Monday, "some big steps," sources told Schefter, but the reigning Super Bowl MVP still must go through other steps to clear the concussion protocol in the coming days. There is hope and optimism, considering he is expected to practice Wednesday, a source told Schefter.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Practices this time of year are basically for mental reps, anyway. More like glorified walkthroughs. So Mahomes won稚 miss much, either way. https://t.co/wEslqsgDXH

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 20, 2021

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
According to the NFL痴 concussion data, which is collected by healthcare data company IQVIA, the median time for the 29 quarterbacks who suffered a concussion between 2015-2019 to complete concussion protocol and return to play was seven days.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by DTVietnam:
I posted in the other thread...but this seems to be where we stand at the moment:

Seems he's passed Phase 1 and 2.

Im guessing this is what the week looks like if all goes well:

Wednesday:

Phase 3: Football Specific Exercise

This is when the team can begin to introduce football-specific activities. Mahomes would be allowed to partake in supervised strength training and exercise with the team in 30-minute intervals or fewer. Players can sometimes return to practice in a limited capacity in the phase, dependent upon what the practice day entails. He値l again have to be monitored for concussion symptoms and undergo neurocognitive testing during this phase. If he痴 able to get through it without any worsening concussion symptoms he値l advance to the next phase.

Thursday:

Phase 4: Club-Based Non-Contact Training Drills

This is where Mahomes can get back to all non-contact football work at practice. He can begin throwing, running and do other QB-specific activities. On walkthrough days, players could be listed as a full participant in practice during this phase. If he痴 able to get through this phase without any new or worsening symptoms and passes through neurocognitive testing he値l advance to the final phase of the NFL痴 return-to-participation protocols.

Friday:

Phase 5: Full Football Activity/Clearance

If Mahomes is able to get through team meetings, conditioning and non-contact practice without recurring symptoms and his neurocognitive testing returns to baseline, he値l be able to be cleared in full by the team痴 training staff. In this phase, Mahomes would be cleared for full-contact football activities in both practice and game-time. As we mentioned earlier, he値l also have to be cleared by an independent league neurologist. That would also occur in this phase.

Saturday:

Bills Mafia collectively shit their pants

Sunday:

Mahomes drops 40 on the Bills and raises the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

[Reply]
Mahomes_Is_God 06:18 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by kcjayhawks5:
The toe injury definitely worrisome

[Reply]
TribalElder 10:20 PM 01-19-2021
Oh shit, just saw a thing on the news where they referenced a concussion from college as a reason this could be seen as a second concussion. Make sure these doctors aren't from the Buffalo NY area
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:26 AM 01-20-2021
HE DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING CONCUSSION. JFC. HE'S JUST IN THE STUPID PROTOCOL BECAUSE THE NFL LITERALLY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH HIM. THEY DON'T HAVE A PROTOCOL FOR "MMA PUNCH TO THE NECK," SO HE'S IN THE STUPID CONCUSSION THING, WHICH IS ALL THEY HAVE TO WORK WITH.

THAT'S HOW FUCKING RARE THIS IS.

JESUS.
[Reply]
DTVietnam 06:49 AM 01-20-2021
I posted in the other thread...but this seems to be where we stand at the moment:

Wednesday:

This is when the team can begin to introduce football-specific activities. Mahomes would be allowed to partake in supervised strength training and exercise with the team in 30-minute intervals or fewer. Players can sometimes return to practice in a limited capacity in the phase, dependent upon what the practice day entails. He’ll again have to be monitored for concussion symptoms and undergo neurocognitive testing during this phase. If he’s able to get through it without any worsening concussion symptoms he’ll advance to the next phase.

Thursday:

This is where Mahomes can get back to all non-contact football work at practice. He can begin throwing, running and do other QB-specific activities. On walkthrough days, players could be listed as a full participant in practice during this phase. If he’s able to get through this phase without any new or worsening symptoms and passes through neurocognitive testing he’ll advance to the final phase of the NFL’s return-to-participation protocols.

Friday:

If Mahomes is able to get through team meetings, conditioning and non-contact practice without recurring symptoms and his neurocognitive testing returns to baseline, he’ll be able to be cleared in full by the team’s training staff. In this phase, Mahomes would be cleared for full-contact football activities in both practice and game-time. As we mentioned earlier, he’ll also have to be cleared by an independent league neurologist. That would also occur in this phase.

Saturday:

Sunday:

[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:59 AM 01-20-2021
I'm sick of this shit free the man!
[Reply]
tmax63 07:07 AM 01-20-2021
It seems to me he could be probably have steps 1 & 2 done by end of Monday, leaving step 3 on Tues. Step 4 on Wed and fully cleared by Thurs/Fri at the latest if everything goes well.
DTV is probably a better guess though because I saw an interview from a former Chiefs medical guy who said they used to move 1 step per day if warranted although some teams would move up to 2 steps in 24 hrs. That was up to the team as to the minimum time a player had to spend in a step before moving to the next step. But that was 2 yrs ago when he was there if I remember his interview correctly.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 07:14 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by tmax63:
It seems to me he could be probably have steps 1 & 2 done by end of Monday, leaving step 3 on Tues. Step 4 on Wed and fully cleared by Thurs/Fri at the latest if everything goes well.
DTV is probably a better guess though because I saw an interview from a former Chiefs medical guy who said they used to move 1 step per day if warranted although some teams would move up to 2 steps in 24 hrs. That was up to the team as to the minimum time a player had to spend in a step before moving to the next step. But that was 2 yrs ago when he was there if I remember his interview correctly.
I've seen several places that they say Saturday is the earliest he can be cleared.
[Reply]
morphius 07:25 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I've seen several places that they say Saturday is the earliest he can be cleared.
It depends. Some Dr's require 24 hours between steps, others might not.
[Reply]
jaa1025 07:38 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Interesting. That does seem to make some sense.

I've trained with both the Brachial stun and the Carotid holds. Given and received both. In my experience, I highly doubt it was a brachial stun. You need a strike and surprise element for it to truly be effective and the effects aren't lasting like Mahomes faced. The Carotid makes a helluva lot more sense. The way the defenders arm was placed around the side of his neck with the brace of his shoulder pads would have been fluky but effective. Not to mention, the wooziness he felt right after and the uneasiness on his legs is exactly what is seen and felt in training.
[Reply]
bobhill 07:55 AM 01-20-2021
It looked like a running bulldog
[Reply]
tmax63 07:59 AM 01-20-2021
I was just putting out what a former Chiefs medical guy said. I don't know if the NFL has standardized the time in the steps in the last year or 2 or not. If it hasn't it seems like an area where the teams could "get around" the intent of the protocol and get a player back quicker. Especially in a case like PMII seems to be where everything sounds like he was barely concussed if at all and he's passing all his tests and answering all except for the 1 question during the game eval.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:03 AM 01-20-2021
Dumb question, but I assume he's not limited in terms of game prep, right?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:04 AM 01-20-2021

Such a historic day today. A day millions of people will never forget that means so much to so many. Let the history books record this day as a pivotal moment for our country. Today, on January 20th, 2021, Patrick Mahomes will practice in some fashion.

— Ja Ja Ding Dong (@jjackson_chiefs) January 20, 2021

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:27 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by DTVietnam:

Wednesday:

This is when the team can begin to introduce football-specific activities. Mahomes would be allowed to partake in supervised strength training and exercise with the team in 30-minute intervals or fewer. Players can sometimes return to practice in a limited capacity in the phase, dependent upon what the practice day entails. He値l again have to be monitored for concussion symptoms and undergo neurocognitive testing during this phase. If he痴 able to get through it without any worsening concussion symptoms he値l advance to the next phase.

Thursday:

This is where Mahomes can get back to all non-contact football work at practice. He can begin throwing, running and do other QB-specific activities. On walkthrough days, players could be listed as a full participant in practice during this phase. If he痴 able to get through this phase without any new or worsening symptoms and passes through neurocognitive testing he値l advance to the final phase of the NFL痴 return-to-participation protocols.

Friday:

If Mahomes is able to get through team meetings, conditioning and non-contact practice without recurring symptoms and his neurocognitive testing returns to baseline, he値l be able to be cleared in full by the team痴 training staff. In this phase, Mahomes would be cleared for full-contact football activities in both practice and game-time. As we mentioned earlier, he値l also have to be cleared by an independent league neurologist. That would also occur in this phase.

Saturday:

Sunday:

Placed in the OP. Well done sir.
[Reply]
notorious 08:33 AM 01-20-2021
It’s hilarious how much the media is playing this up.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up