ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Nfl must change playoff concussion protocol
chiefzilla1501 07:10 PM 01-05-2020
I'm still sour about Jamaal Charles, then flowers getting knocked out of the Colts playoff game a few years ago. Regular season... Sure. But ending a season on a doctors fuzzy opinion? Yeah, not a fan of that at all.

I'd argue that concussion protocol can make playoff games even more dangerous. We saw with bountygate what lengths a team will go to to knock a player out. What incentive does a DC have to not coach dirty football they can get away with? It's easy to play super dirty without risk of targeting.

Maybe Wentz didn't want to go back in. We know that Jamaal Charles was super pissed years ago that he couldn't. What say you... Is this an nfl rule that needs to be re-thought?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 09:23 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
That is his decision to make. Based on good, thorough, impartial medical advice. Up to a certain limit of course. Do you really think Brett Favre didn't play through a million hits that by today's standards would be considered concussions?
What if the player is not in a state to make an intelligent decision because of their condition? Who makes a call on when a player is or isn't capable of advocating for themselves? Where is the line?

I also don't like using the past and how people "got by" as an argument for why we should keep doing things that way. If you have better information than you did in the past, use it.
[Reply]
treeguy27 09:25 PM 01-05-2020
Zilla needs to be in the concussion protocol.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:33 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by treeguy27:
Zilla needs to be in the concussion protocol.
Whatever, what I'm saying is stuff most people were chirping about for pages and pages after the chiefs/Colts and chiefs/titans playoff games. A lot of these opinions have changed because it wasn't our team. Most people here agree that there's a very real problem of Tonya harding it without any real repercussions. I appreciate the discussion because obviously the fix isn't easy... Maybe not even possible. That's why we're talking about it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:38 PM 01-05-2020
That is his decision to make. Based on good, thorough, impartial medical advice. Up to a certain limit of course. Do you really think Brett Favre didn't play through a million hits that by today's standards would be considered concussions?
Brett has a photographic memory, and apparently doesn't remember an entire season due to concussions.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:41 PM 01-05-2020
If you make a hit that looks intentional that ends with the other player winding up in the protocol: you're off the field as long as that player is off the field.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:41 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
What if the player is not in a state to make an intelligent decision because of their condition? Who makes a call on when a player is or isn't capable of advocating for themselves? Where is the line?

I also don't like using the past and how people "got by" as an argument for why we should keep doing things that way. If you have better information than you did in the past, use it.
I never said make it completely on the player. Like I said, obviously there's a limit. Kelce vs Tennessee was brutally obvious that he shouldn't have gone back in. I don't know where that line is. None of us really do. But would it surprise you if that line wasn't drawn way more conservatively than it needs to just to add extra cushion to liability?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:44 PM 01-05-2020

Jadeveon Clowney expects death threats for hit on Carson Wentz, says #Eagles have 'worst fans in the world'
�� ⁦@SportsRadioWIPhttps://t.co/3sauNr9sZY

— Dave Briggs (@davebriggstv) January 6, 2020

[Reply]
-King- 09:52 PM 01-05-2020
The saints knocked Kurt Warner out on a legal but pretty dirty hit. The Brett Favre game was blatant targeting over and over again, including a dirty as hell high low hit that totally destroyed his ankle and made him finish as an ineffective cripple.

Sure, it still happens. Burfict cheap shotting Antonio brown in the playoffs. Myles Garrett, judon, etc... You don't think the ravens and jags weren't intentionally hitting mahomes late to send a message? Not saying get rid of it, but if the NFL has rules in place to create an enormous incentive for defenses to do it, why shouldn't there be thought about how to reduce that incentive? Sure some of the penalties and fines have helped some, but today should be a reminder about how impactful these things can be.
So no QBs getting intentionally concussed in order to put them in the protocol...?

And there's a difference between a QB getting hit/shoved late and intentionally trying to concuss them like you're alleging.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 09:53 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

not saying that was an intentional shot to the head but he def. dipped his shoulder down and smacked him in the back of the head.
[Reply]
-King- 09:55 PM 01-05-2020
I never said make it completely on the player. Like I said, obviously there's a limit. Kelce vs Tennessee was brutally obvious that he shouldn't have gone back in. I don't know where that line is. None of us really do. But would it surprise you if that line wasn't drawn way more conservatively than it needs to just to add extra cushion to liability?
The line is where the independent numerologist says that the player had a concussion.
[Reply]
-King- 09:56 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
not saying that was an intentional shot to the head but he def. dipped his shoulder down and smacked him in the back of the head.
Yeah he should have been flagged.
[Reply]
J Diddy 09:59 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
If you make a hit that looks intentional that ends with the other player winding up in the protocol: you're off the field as long as that player is off the field.
On the surface, sure sounds logical. Until people start throwing undrafted 3rd string scrubs at drew brees.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:09 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by -King-:
So no QBs getting intentionally concussed in order to put them in the protocol...?

And there's a difference between a QB getting hit/shoved late and intentionally trying to concuss them like you're alleging.
Of course players aren't intentionally punching QBs in the head are hitting them with anvils and hammers (though Garrett came close). That's not what happened with Brett Favre during Bountygate either. You have a bit of a strange position in defending concussion protocol, while believing that behaviors that contribute to concussions are just a part of football. Do players purposefully try to put players into concussion? I don't know about that. Do players hit with the intent of making it hurt as much as possible? Definitely. Do they toe the line as much as they can legally get away with? Definitely, some teams and players much more than others. Do they do it with intent to injure - as we learned in Bountygate, lots of teams (not just the Saints) were.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:13 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
On the surface, sure sounds logical. Until people start throwing undrafted 3rd string scrubs at drew brees.
It's not perfect, but it's at least something. And it's a hell of a lot easier to consistently enforce than targeting.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:18 PM 01-05-2020
I mean this type of shit is exactly why hockey has it right.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up