ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Nfl must change playoff concussion protocol
chiefzilla1501 07:10 PM 01-05-2020
I'm still sour about Jamaal Charles, then flowers getting knocked out of the Colts playoff game a few years ago. Regular season... Sure. But ending a season on a doctors fuzzy opinion? Yeah, not a fan of that at all.

I'd argue that concussion protocol can make playoff games even more dangerous. We saw with bountygate what lengths a team will go to to knock a player out. What incentive does a DC have to not coach dirty football they can get away with? It's easy to play super dirty without risk of targeting.

Maybe Wentz didn't want to go back in. We know that Jamaal Charles was super pissed years ago that he couldn't. What say you... Is this an nfl rule that needs to be re-thought?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:56 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Jamaal Charles was knocked the **** out. Go look at a video of it. It's a dumb example.
He hit his head on the turf. He didn't get knocked out. He was begging to go back in. Kelce is a little different. He was definitely seeing stars.
[Reply]
cdcox 07:58 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
It is all dependent on what the player reports is going on that determines whether they are in concussion protocol or not. Some will lie to stay on the field and some will lie to get off the field. I've said all along that some players will take advantage of this to get a couple of weeks off in order to rest and still get paid while avoiding particular upcoming opposition they would rather not face.

It really is on the player whether they play or not in what they report is going on and you know all the players know what symptoms to report IF they want off the field. Some will call in sick when they are not.
:-) You should see a shrink.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:03 PM 01-05-2020
The inherent challenge in having a player decide for themselves is that they've just been hit in the head hard enough that there's a concern that they can't think clearly.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 08:04 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
:-) You should see a shrink.
You don't think some players mail it in ??? You are naive if you don't.
[Reply]
-King- 08:05 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
That is his decision to make. Based on good, thorough, impartial medical advice. Up to a certain limit of course. Do you really think Brett Favre didn't play through a million hits that by today's standards would be considered concussions?
A player who may be suffering a concussion shouldn't make the call on if they want to keep playing. 1

And I'd rather Mahomes have a long career and life so if the concussion protocol is needed to protect himself from himself, then it is what it is.
[Reply]
limested 08:06 PM 01-05-2020
He hit his head on the turf. He didn't get knocked out. He was begging to go back in. Kelce is a little different. He was definitely seeing stars.

He is out.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:08 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Imagine the firestorm on here if Mahomes enters concussion protocol during the Texans game.
great thought! :-)

then you could cheer for Deshaun with a clear conscience!
[Reply]
-King- 08:09 PM 01-05-2020
Him hitting his head on the turf knocked him out :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:12 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by limested:

He is out.
Pretty clearly knocked out.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:14 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by -King-:
Him hitting his head on the turf knocked him out :-)
that isn't turf, it's concrete.

so so glad we don't play on that crap in the playoffs.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:15 PM 01-05-2020
I could see the player who hit another player in the head and the player is out and got flagged being ejected.

There is a huge incentive to take out a difference maker. But, it would still not be a deterrent. Losing a starting CB/LB/DL would still not be comparable ejection to a QB, especially one at Mahomes level.
[Reply]
limested 08:17 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
that isn't turf, it's concrete.

so so glad we don't play on that crap in the playoffs.
Yet if we had field turf then most likely Thornhill would still be playing.

It isn’t concrete. It is 4-6” inches of rubber infill underneath.

It really isnt that bad to play on unless it is hot out. Nothing like that AstroTurf crap that we had before Montana.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:21 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I could see the player who hit another player in the head and the player is out and got flagged being ejected.

There is a huge incentive to take out a difference maker. But, it would still not be a deterrent. Losing a starting CB/LB/DL would still not be comparable ejection to a QB, especially one at Mahomes level.
It is at least a start. I don’t see the nfl relaxing rules on protocol. But this at least creates some kind of equal loss. Unlike targeting which ejects a player even if the other guy isn’t hurt, it seems fair that if a player knocks another player out, that player should also sit out until the hurt player clears protocol. This is at least realistic.
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:21 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Imagine the firestorm on here if Mahomes enters concussion protocol during the Texans game.
:-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:24 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:

They only true way it would be fair is if the other teams starting QB had to sit out the same amount of time as the QB in concussion protocol.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up