ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 361
1 23451151101 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
SAUTO 09:43 AM 06-01-2014
Out
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:44 AM 06-01-2014
Well unless shit gets REALLY jacked up here, but still probably out.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DaFace 09:44 AM 06-01-2014
Original OP:

SpaceX expects manned flight to ISS in 2016-2017

I've always casually paid attention to what SpaceX is up to, but I had no idea they were this far along. I'll post a few articles and videos, but here are the high points:

Here's the announcement page from SpaceX to get you started.

http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/05/3...ned-spacecraft

And here's a general CNN article from CNN with some videos. I'll try and post the good ones.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/29/us/spacex-new-spacecraft/

-----

Here's an animation of the capsule re-entry and landing:

[Reply]
DaFace 09:46 AM 06-01-2014
Here's a test flight of the main rocket landing itself. This one is way cool. I wouldn't have guessed you could have that much control using thrusters on the bottom like that.

[Reply]
SAUTO 09:47 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Here's an animation of the capsule re-entry and landing:

That cartoon makes me feel a little better about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DaFace 09:47 AM 06-01-2014
And here's the entire unveil event if you're in the mood for the in-depth look:

[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 09:52 AM 06-01-2014
Amazing
[Reply]
DaFace 09:56 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
That cartoon makes me feel a little better about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The rocket test is even more impressive. They are hoping to have these things land themselves so softly that they can reassemble, refuel, and relaunch in only a couple days.

They've got a long way to go, but if they can pull it off, it will DRAMATICALLY decrease the cost of space flight as we know it.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:59 AM 06-01-2014
It is pretty fucking cool
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
unlurking 10:13 AM 06-01-2014
Ars has some cool photos. One of the console, once rotated 180° and cropped, is now my wallpaper.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/...space-capsule/

[Reply]
unlurking 10:17 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The rocket test is even more impressive. They are hoping to have these things land themselves so softly that they can reassemble, refuel, and relaunch in only a couple days.

They've got a long way to go, but if they can pull it off, it will DRAMATICALLY decrease the cost of space flight as we know it.
Even more impressive is that the engines are 3D printed. I thought I misheard Tony, err, I mean Elon, when he said that.

Originally Posted by 3DPrint.com:
http://3dprint.com/4740/spacex-dragon-2-3d-print/
So, how is SpaceX able to produce such a powerful thruster, at minimal costs, and still meet the strict deadlines set by their client, NASA? For one, they use 3D printing. That’s right, the most advanced manufacturer of rockets and spacecraft on the planet, relies on a process called direct metal laser sintering, to create one of the most important components of the SuperDraco thruster, the combustion chamber for the engine. The chambers are 3D printed with a material called Inconel, which is very high performance nickel chromium superalloy, known for its amazing strength and toughness.
Obligatory test firing video!

[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 10:19 AM 06-01-2014
yeah I was reading about this yesterday. pretty awesome elon musk is the man
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 10:20 AM 06-01-2014
they want to 3d print everything so they can eventually print everything in space and we can build the death star
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 10:33 AM 06-01-2014
Fucking cool. Thanks for posting it!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 361
1 23451151101 > Last »
Up