ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2993 of 3903
« First < 1993249328932943298329892990299129922993 29942995299629973003304330933493 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 12:08 PM 09-27-2020
That doesn't even make sense.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:14 PM 09-27-2020
You're weighting conditions, which is fine, as long as you know you're doing it.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:18 PM 09-27-2020
No one is saying there shouldn't be a balance and we shouldn't care about super vulnerable people. All I see is the same crowd who said it was a hoax until that didn't work anymore, but now thinks only 6% actually died of covid, armed with a new talking point about mental health. It seems like just whatever they can throw against a wall.

Maybe not you as you seem pretty consistently focused on mental health itt.

I'm asking what balance exactly are we not doing right now? It's not like we're anything like China lockdown or even the more hardcore European lockdowns. Practically everything is open to some degree right? Schools have to shut down occasionally, but they seem to keep trying to reopen. Aren't even bars open now in MO (which I think is crazy)? It sucks that singing in church is one of the most dangerous things you can do - but you have to take that up with covid.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:24 PM 09-27-2020
"Healthy person privilege"

Haha, Jesus. Please say that was a joke.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:26 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
No one is saying there shouldn't be a balance and we shouldn't care about super vulnerable people. All I see is the same crowd who said it was a hoax until that didn't work anymore, but now thinks only 6% actually died of covid, armed with a new talking point about mental health. It seems like just whatever they can throw against a wall.

I'm asking what balance exactly are we not doing right now? It's not like we're anything like China lockdown or even the more hardcore European lockdowns. Practically everything is open to some degree right? Schools have to shut down occasionally, but they seem to keep trying to reopen. Aren't even bars open now in MO (which I think is crazy)? It sucks that singing in church is one of the most dangerous things you can do - but you have to take that up with covid.
You equated a young person contemplating suicide due to covid restrictions to probably not going to do well in real life. Whatever the fuck that means. But someone commenting on people with one foot already in the grave as holding our economy back is problematic.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:59 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:

I spent 4 years working with teenage kids. I've been pretty focused on depression/mental health since this thing started because it's a huge issue for them. It's not about them being mentally weak either. It's a combination of factors but they were feeling VERY isolated before this started, that's my issue.

Other than the impact on local small businesses, that's really the only consistent issue I've had.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:50 PM 09-27-2020
The problem with all of this is talking in absolutes. The mental health issue is very real and given the surge once lockdowns are over, should be added into the full picture about full lockdown decisions and their entire impact on society.

That being said, if you feel that strongly about mental health and COVID, do you propose we forget all other mitigation strategies? No masks for anything? All business open with no restrictions?

Contrary to what some of the posters here think about my posts, I have changed my view in the past few months. Full lockdowns will only work if extended indefinitely, and that is just not possible from an economic and mental health standpoint for a 1+ year timeline. This virus is highly contagious and will simply start running it's course once those full lockdowns end. However, that does not mean that simple mitigation efforts such as a national mask mandate while allowing business to be open, should not be used. This can control the spread as far as numbers are concerned and prevent surges in states that would then have to close many businesses to combat a rush on hospitals like we had in southern states in summer. Before AZ went to a mask mandate, hospitals reached capacity and businesses were shut down for months at a time. This was the second shutdown as businesses were closed in March and April here as well. A mask mandate from the start absolutely would have prevented this surge of cases all at one time and would have kept businesses from closing down again here.

I also wonder about providing free grocery delivery for seniors? It seems like an easy way to keep the more vulnerable at home but it wasn't done here, in a city with a large senior community.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:56 PM 09-27-2020
We had tons of small businesses shut down here. Some of them will never open their doors again. Walmart never shut down and never even followed their own rules (50 people per store, my ass) and nothing was, nor will be, done about it. That's just plain not right.

The biggest outbreak we had here that wasn't in a nursing home was in a factory that is, for all intents and purposes, immune from ever being held responsible for how it treats employees. They had over 200 cases IIRC and not only never shut down, some employees had to fight even to get time off. Some of them got fired.

What I want to see is common sense applied EVENLY across all of society. Money and political influence shouldn't be able to exempt a business from compliance.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:01 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
We had tons of small businesses shut down here. Some of them will never open their doors again. Walmart never shut down and never even followed their own rules (50 people per store, my ass) and nothing was, nor will be, done about it. That's just plain not right.

The biggest outbreak we had here that wasn't in a nursing home was in a factory that is, for all intents and purposes, immune from ever being held responsible for how it treats employees. They had over 200 cases IIRC and not only never shut down, some employees had to fight even to get time off. Some of them got fired.

What I want to see is common sense applied EVENLY across all of society. Money and political influence shouldn't be able to exempt a business from compliance.
I agree. With a mask mandate in place, small businesses would have been able to follow mitigation strategies better than a place like Walmart.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:06 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I agree. With a mask mandate in place, small businesses would have been able to follow mitigation strategies better than a place like Walmart.
Walmart put a mask mandate in place almost immediately and they enforced it, at least here.

The problem was that they didn't follow any of the other measures they put in place.

1. They said they wouldn't have more than 50 people in the store at a time. There was never LESS than 50 when I was there.

2. They went to one-way lanes but didn't have any way to enforce them.

3. They mandated 6 foot spacing but didn't enforce them.

4. They went from 24x7 to 8am to 8pm in order to "allow for restocking of shelves". In almost every case I saw where rules 1-3 above were being broken, it was EMPLOYEES doing it. It wasn't uncommon to have 5 or 6 associates clogging up a single aisle in the middle of the day, simultaneously violating every safety measure EXCEPT the mask mandate.

Maybe I'm getting old and grouchy but it seems like every time I leave the house now all I can see is idiocy. The average person is just fucking stupid and doesn't have a grasp on basic logic and common sense.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:12 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Walmart put a mask mandate in place almost immediately and they enforced it, at least here.

The problem was that they didn't follow any of the other measures they put in place.

1. They said they wouldn't have more than 50 people in the store at a time. There was never LESS than 50 when I was there.

2. They went to one-way lanes but didn't have any way to enforce them.

3. They mandated 6 foot spacing but didn't enforce them.

4. They went from 24x7 to 8am to 8pm in order to "allow for restocking of shelves". In almost every case I saw where rules 1-3 above were being broken, it was EMPLOYEES doing it. It wasn't uncommon to have 5 or 6 associates clogging up a single aisle in the middle of the day, simultaneously violating every safety measure EXCEPT the mask mandate.

Maybe I'm getting old and grouchy but it seems like every time I leave the house now all I can see is idiocy. The average person is just fucking stupid and doesn't have a grasp on basic logic and common sense.
You're making a lot of sense. Are you sure you're from Iowa?
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:17 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You're making a lot of sense. Are you sure you're from Iowa?
:-)

In body only. My spirit is elsewhere. Just about anywhere "elsewhere" at this point. :-)
[Reply]
TLO 02:48 PM 09-27-2020
The Big Man about to hold an unscheduled news conference. Last time this happened on a Sunday we got news on a theraputic.

Not sure what today's briefing is about.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:48 PM 09-27-2020
An easy solution would be to stop minimizing each other’s struggles through this
[Reply]
TLO 09-27-2020, 02:50 PM
This message has been deleted by TLO.
TLO 02:56 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
The Big Man about to hold an unscheduled news conference. Last time this happened on a Sunday we got news on a theraputic.

Not sure what today's briefing is about.
*Disclaimer*

This press conference may have nothing to do with the virus whatsoever. If this is the case, I apologize and in no way is the post above meant to be political
[Reply]
Page 2993 of 3903
« First < 1993249328932943298329892990299129922993 29942995299629973003304330933493 > Last »
Up