ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 221
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Radar Chief 10:29 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Zara Spook!!!!!
I’m a big fan of top water, it’s just a little early in the season yet.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:32 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
I’m a big fan of top water, it’s just a little early in the season yet.
really? even w/ this mild winter? I'd have thought April vs late May would be ideal since the Winter was laughable...
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:34 AM 04-26-2012
That hat is a nice look for this guy!

[Reply]
Red Beans 10:38 AM 04-26-2012
Drums look mean too.
And kind of stupid too...
[Reply]
Radar Chief 10:39 AM 04-26-2012
really? even w/ this mild winter? I'd have thought April vs late May would be ideal since the Winter was laughable...
:-) You might be on to something. We’ve had a really early mayfly hatch and the frogs are already out and spawning too. Haven’t given it a shot yet but the plan is to go out tomorrow after work so maybe I’ll try some bass fishing after I get my cat poles set.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:41 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
:-) You might be on to something. We’ve had a really early mayfly hatch and the frogs are already out and spawning too. Haven’t given it a shot yet but the plan is to go out tomorrow after work so maybe I’ll try some bass fishing after I get my cat poles set.
That's cool, yeah Dad said the time would be earlier, hell he even indicated the Morels popped up weeks earlier, this yr.
[Reply]
Sofa King 10:43 AM 04-26-2012

[Reply]
Red Beans 10:45 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
The birth of some CP posters explained, and on video no less...
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:58 AM 04-26-2012
Sounds like i got some bad advice on eating drum, gonna have to try one this year, i know a spot on the illinois river where you can pull 5-10 pounders out all day long on nightcrawlers.
[Reply]
Simply Red 11:13 AM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by scott free:
Sounds like i got some bad advice on eating drum, gonna have to try one this year, i know a spot on the illinois river where you can pull 5-10 pounders out all day long on nightcrawlers.

[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:37 PM 04-26-2012
I hate drum because I never fish for them and so I always catch them fishing for crappie and while fighting it I am thinking I have a monster crappie. Those drum fight hard though so fun to catch regardless.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 12:42 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I hate drum because I never fish for them and so I always catch them fishing for crappie and while fighting it I am thinking I have a monster crappie. Those drum fight hard though so fun to catch regardless.
Yes they are, especially when you get into some the size scott free is talking about.
[Reply]
Red Beans 01:17 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by scott free:
If my wife will eat it, it's not terrible. She has trouble with Channel Cat sometimes, but not the Drum. Give it a shot, but for God's sake, cut out that fucking mud line!
[Reply]
Otter 01:23 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by NewChief:
With a fly rod? The only saltwater fish I've caught with a flyrod are all upper panhandle fish like specks, redfish, ladyfish, and mackeral. Out of those, I think redfish are the most fun due to having to stalk them and being able to sight fish to actively feeding fish. But hell, really a school of -any- kind of saltwater fish is a lot of fun... nothing like a bunch of bluefish busting bait.

I've caught just about everything in the salt on conventional tackle, because my parents were -very- into saltwater fishing when I was growing up. I caught my first sailfish when I was in 5th grade. Dolphin/dorado are hard to beat, though. So much fun, and such good eating. I'd love to go bonefishing, though I'm not sure I'm a good enough caster to do it justice. I'd really, really like to fish for one of these babies, though (fishing buddy of mine in the pic):

If you've never seen people target these bad boys, it's pretty awesome:

Catching a tarpon is also on my list.
Wow! Dude that almost looks Photoshopped. Nice.

I have pics on my Iphone from catching some really nice trout in the San Juan that I can't post. Hot women, playoff hockey and fly fishing are probably my 3 favorite things in life.

What weight fly rod and tippet you using for that lion?
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:32 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Red Beans:
If my wife will eat it, it's not terrible. She has trouble with Channel Cat sometimes, but not the Drum. Give it a shot, but for God's sake, cut out that ****ing mud line!
Yep, always get rid of the dark meat.

Another old trick my stepdad always used to help get the muddy flavor out of wild caught cats, is to take them home alive to a big cooler, tub or whatever you got & keep them in fresh tapwater for 3-4 days, adding in some fresh water every day, before eating.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 221
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Up