ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Media Center>Best Movie Soundtracks
DJJasonp 07:39 PM 09-13-2020
Was thinking about soundtracks today, and wondered what soundtracks people thought highly of.

So without getting too structured with this, a couple parameters for the discussion:

1. Let's leave out musicals for this discussion (no "Grease" for example)

2. Lower marks for soundtracks that barely featured any of the music from the soundtrack in the film

3. Higher marks for soundtracks where the tracks really match the mood/tone of the film

4. Let's leave out instrumentals (though I do really enjoy them)

So with that in mind, I submit my top 3:

#3: Pretty in Pink - the quintessential 80's soundtrack? Heavily integrated into the film. Top to bottom, a solid lineup of 80's pop/alternative:

Echo & The Bunnymen - Bring on the Dancing Horses
INXS - Do Wot U do
Smiths - Please, Please.....
OMD - If you Leave
Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink
New Order - Shell-Shock

#2: Purple Rain - A classic, with obvious integration all across the film. Highlights include:

Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U

#1: The Crow - perfectly selected tracks that match the Alex Proyas look/feel of the film. Highlights include:

The Cure - Burn
Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls
Helmet - Milktoast
Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty
More solid tracks from Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, and Jesus and Mary Chain

Honorable mentions:

American Graffiti
Singles

What say you?
[Reply]
Frazod 12:09 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
cant find it online. I always felt I would be the teacher that died in his class and no one knew. But I do not teach Social Studies. Just push play.
You have to type in "Teachers (1984)".

https://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Nick...s%2C180&sr=1-2

Figured that out just now.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 02:35 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Never really got into UH. Most of the bands from that era I either listened to as a kid (because of my dad) or I got into later because of movement of members from other bands.

My dad was never really into them and none of their members (other than Kerslake, which I didn't know until much later) were in other bands that I liked.

I really didn't start becoming musically aware until the early 80's so my connection to many of those late 60's/70's bands was one of those two things.
Uriah Heep was as good if not better than Deep Purple, more mystical and almost Queen like in vocals. Listen to the original lineup here performing the song Gypsy Live from the double live album Live '73. I wore out the grooves on the original vinyl copy I had. The biggest problem is there isn't as much live video of the original lineup which ended in '76 when singer David Byron was fired and bassist Gary Thain died.

Here's a recently released live video never before available of almost the original lineup. Gary Thain on bass was replaced by John Wetton. Besides Wetton you have the late David Byron on vocals, Ken Hensley on Hammond Organ, Mick Box on guitar (who's still playing in the band) and Lee Kerslake on drums who retired in 2007, but rejoined the band with Ken Hensley for a 2015 show in Moscow. This was the first song they performed when I saw them in July '75 with Manfred Mann's Earth Band opening, fantastic show!! I'm sure you've heard this song, it was a major hit for them on the radio, also Easy Livin' was the other big radio hit.

[Reply]
lcarus 03:00 PM 09-15-2020
For some reason the first movie that came to my mind was Donnie Darko but that's already been mentioned. If we're talking score too, I really like The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Actually most Wes Anderson movies have a pretty good soundtrack.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 03:01 PM 09-15-2020
Forrest Gump, Dazed and Confused, Trainspotting, Easy Rider and Pulp Fiction are probably the ones I’ve listened to the most.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 03:03 PM 09-15-2020
Zz
[Reply]
JD10367 03:11 PM 09-15-2020
Guardians of the Galaxy, Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Good Morning Vietnam, Sucker Punch, TRON: Legacy, The Matrix.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:43 AM 09-16-2020
Did anyone say

The Wedding Singer with Adam Sandler?

All of his movies has good music.
[Reply]
KCTea 07:50 AM 09-21-2020
O Brother Where Art Thou. Easiest question I've answered all day.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:46 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Top Gun

Singles

Purple Rain

Dirty Dancing

Guardians of the Galaxy

Judgement Night

Dazed and Confused

Spinal Tap

Oh Brother Where Art Though?
Not enough people choosing Judgement Night. Great music.
[Reply]
morphius 05:55 AM 09-23-2020
My favorites were The Lost Boys and the Avengers soundtracks.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 07:44 AM 09-23-2020
St. Elmos Fire, come on who doesn’t love “man in motion”.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 08:08 AM 09-23-2020
I forgot about Good Morning Vietnam, that was a great one.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:13 AM 09-23-2020
Can't believe some of you were listening to these - I came here to post the following:

Judgement Night
Spawn
Cool World
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:13 AM 09-23-2020
Good Fellas
[Reply]
sully1983 10:27 AM 09-23-2020
I really love the soundtrack to TRON: Legacy. Thought Daft Punk did a great job with it.

Also the soundtrack to The Social Network is just genius. Kudos to Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross .
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up