ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>We gotta talk about this UDFA class.
Direckshun 11:47 AM 05-13-2020
The amount of skill and potential from this UDFA class the Chiefs secures is as good as any I’ve ever seen for any team. It’s possible we land three starters from this group, and end up with up to seven guys that contribute regularly over the next three years.

How the hell did Veach do this?

Give us your thoughts on individual players from the UDFA class. Veach needs to knock it out of the park like this every year.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:04 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
100%

I think he will start at center in the first half of the season.
Not a chance in hell, unless it's due to injury.

There's no fucking way undrafted free agent that hasn't been in OTA's, mincamps or even the rookie minicamp is going to know all of the line calls and have any chemistry with the other four starters, let alone, have enough time to spend with Mahomes, in order to start this season.

That's just beyond dumb.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:53 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I personally think Hill has a better shot than Davis.
I wouldn't put any money on either of them. Combine the two and you end up with a 1st day pick, but ultimately Hill doesn't have the athleticism to my eyes (also seems to lack some intuitiveness as well) and Davis doesn't have the size (but really nice instincts).

I think both are just TOO deficient in the areas they're deficient. Then again, I'd have said almost exactly the same thing about Fenton (and probably did) that I just said about Hill. And Breeland's athleticism is pretty mediocre as well. And both of them were pretty important and largely productive last season.

So maybe Spags has figured his way around some of the athleticism limitations of some of his DBs. But I'd be shocked if he hand-waived Davis's size.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:56 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Not a chance in hell, unless it's due to injury.

There's no fucking way undrafted free agent that hasn't been in OTA's, mincamps or even the rookie minicamp is going to know all of the line calls and have any chemistry with the other four starters, let alone, have enough time to spend with Mahomes, in order to start this season.

That's just beyond dumb.
Yeah - that's a pretty hot take right there.

I could see them trying Wylie out there (and obviously Allegretti) before they toss Williams in. Or Rankin w/ Wylie backfilling at G (or Remmer at G or C with a conversion elsewhere) And I LIKE Williams - he intrigues the hell out of me. But like you said, the rookies have lost any real opportunity to stand out here.

And worse still, with a truncated schedule, there's just not a lot of fuck around time to toss him in there with the 1s, so how's he ever going to truly take that job from an established starter, a guy that's been here a year (and was actually drafted) and even a couple of possible IOL conversion candidates?

Just incredibly long odds here.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:07 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Just incredibly long odds here.
Yep.

It's one thing for Andy to keep an UDFA because of depth issues (e.g., Albert Wilson, Ben Niemann, Darrel Williams) but there are multiple guys blocking Williams this year at center.

It would be completely awesome if he dominated in camp and picked up the offense quickly because the Chiefs just haven't been able keep their offensive lineman healthy from Week 1 to Week 20. But even if that happens, I think it would be out of character for Reid to start a UDFA over a veteran when a second consecutive Super Bowl is in play.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:18 PM 05-29-2020
And the idea of an in-season promotion ignores Andy's history of favoring continuity over a potential upgrade.

If the dude's starting this year, it will almost have to be on opening day or in the case of a MASSIVE spate of injuries. If he earns the job outright somehow, I'd immediately start thinking of down-ballot ROY votes and pro-bowl consideration because that's the kind of potential Andy will need to see IMMEDIATELY if he's going to pull that trigger.

From a guy that didn't get drafted? I mean - it has happened before - but it don't happen often and with the need to make protection calls to protect that most valuable asset in sports, I really can't see it happening at that position.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:34 PM 05-29-2020
And the idea of an in-season promotion ignores Andy's history of favoring continuity over a potential upgrade.

From a guy that didn't get drafted? I mean - it has happened before - but it don't happen often and with the need to make protection calls to protect that most valuable asset in sports, I really can't see it happening at that position.
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/25-best...ayers-all-time

Here's a list from April 2020 that ranks the top 25 best UDFA's of all time. Outside of Marion Motley, who dominated the NFL during his rookie season of 1946, none of those players were Pro Bowlers in their rookie seasons.

New Orleans WR Deonte Harris went from undrafted in 2019 to making the Pro Bowl as a rookie kick returner but I think we can all agree that KR is very different from center.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:02 PM 05-31-2020
Gotta think a Breeland suspension of any duration that moves Fenton outside will give Davis a pretty good shot at sticking.

But with so many teams using their best receiver in the slot fairly frequently, it's still gonna be hard for him to stick. People like to say things like "if not for his height he'd have gone much earlier..."

But height matters at defensive back. Sometimes you can be right where you need to be and the other guy's just bigger and takes it away. We learned that lesson several times with Brandon Flowers. He'd have perfect coverage and the bigger, stronger WR would just body him out and take the ball away or go up over him.

5'8" is just gonna be tough to overcome. People like Mathieu are the exception that proves that rule.
So, what makes Mathieu different? Is it how he's being used? I mean, the guy covers TEs. Does Spags know how to use another athlete of smaller stature? I suppose we'll find out.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:58 PM 05-31-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
So, what makes Mathieu different? Is it how he's being used? I mean, the guy covers TEs. Does Spags know how to use another athlete of smaller stature? I suppose we'll find out.
Instincts.

Dude has unreal instincts.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:41 PM 05-31-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Instincts.

Dude has unreal instincts.
Davis has pretty great instincts as well. Outside of NFL experience, I wonder what separates the two.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:53 PM 05-31-2020
CB Lavert Hill, Michigan, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

If Hill was 2-3” taller he would have been a 1st round pick.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:55 AM 06-01-2020
:-)

You're certifiable if you think that 7 UDFA's are going to make the 55 this season.

How many UDFA's have made the Chiefs roster their rookie seasons in the past decade?

I’m certifiable mofo!

This fucker is making the team!

https://youtu.be/nFqGkT6btGk
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:58 AM 06-01-2020
Good grief.

The Chiefs had to overpay for certain players because if he hadn't, they'd have signed with another team.

Last year, the Chiefs gave out $40k+ to multiple UDFA's and not one of them made it to the 53 last season. Cody Thompson, another CP hero, didn't make the 53, lasted about a week on the PS, signed with Seattle and was dumped by them during the season.

These guys are UDFA's for a reason and the likelihood that any of them make the 55 this year is slim.

If you are paying Mahomes $50M+ each year than you are going to have a lot of UDFA’s make the team.

Veteran guy making $5 million or a UDFA that can do the job. You figure it out. Duh
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:36 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
If you are paying Mahomes $50M+ each year than you are going to have a lot of UDFA’s make the team.

Veteran guy making $5 million or a UDFA that can do the job. You figure it out. Duh
If the Chiefs are paying Mahomes $50 million, it's because the salary cap is $250 million at the very minimum, which would leave plenty of room for free agents, signing their own free agents and so on.

It's not going to be Mahomes and 21 guys off the street. Not a chance.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:27 AM 06-03-2020
Watching ESPNU & they’re showing games from last year & Lavert Hill is a baller. If he was just a little bit taller.

Still think he makes the team.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:12 PM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Well and I guess that's ultimately my point - I really don't know.

But I know every 5 years or so there's a new 'pocket DB' that vastly outperforms their pedigree and it's rare that there are more than 1 or 2 guys across all the NFL defensive backs that play that well with a really small stature.

So I understand your question, but until you can truly identify exactly why MATHIEU is so good, you can't answer it. I personally incline towards tenacity and instincts (need both) but only because I watched him on a couple of occasions literally torch THREE reads. I have never seen a safety do what he when he pulled that off. He'd knock someone off his route, pick up a second route and then drift off onto a 3rd and have the QB so spooked he'd just quit outright.

We can sit there and say things like "Davis looks like he has good instincts..." but to do so doesn't give enough credit to just how flipping unreal Mathieu's are. No, Davis's aren't like that. Nobody else in the NFL does that right now. That's what I mean when I say he's the exception that proves the rules.

Guy just don't do what Mathieu does. And if there was a real chance that Davis plays with that kind of vision, he doesn't go undrafted. And he damn sure has a more impactful college career. I mean Mathieu was a damn Heisman finalist, Bednarik winner and the SEC player of the year and Consensus All-American as a TRUE SOPHOMORE.

Javaris Davis....wasn't. Any of that. despite 5 years in the system at Auburn.

Davis has never been anywhere near the player Mathieu was at any level. There's no good faith basis for trying to mention him in the same breath as Mathieu. Is there a chance he makes the team? Sure, why not? If everything breaks precisely correctly for him he may even start for a year or three at some point and provide credible play in the same way Steven Nelson did. Is there a chance he possesses the same traits that have set Mathieu apart from 100 guys with similar measurements/tools as him? No. None at all. There's a clear separation between these guys.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up