ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Strouds fried chicken
jspchief 08:09 PM 08-10-2005
A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:51 PM 10-01-2019
Lunch special on Friday is legitness.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 01:55 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
This thread is fuckin 14 years old
Maybe so, but the bump contains valuable information.
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:07 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by jspchief:
A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
Is this KC North up by Claycomo? I grew up near there. Had my wedding dinner there 27 yrs ago. Is it still there?
[Reply]
FlorentinePogen 02:13 PM 10-01-2019
Man, i'm jonesing for some Stroud's chicken fried steak and sides.

There's also a fairly new place up north near Gladstone City Hall called Summit Grill that has really good food. Huge "chicken fried chicken", tenderloin sandwiches, and pictured below, the "Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich"

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:15 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by FlorentinePogen:

There's also a fairly new place up north near Gladstone City Hall called Summit Grill that has really good food. Huge "chicken fried chicken", tenderloin sandwiches, and pictured below, the "Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich"

[Reply]
patteeu 02:28 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by FlorentinePogen:

I assume Summit Grill is connected to the place with the same name in Lees Summit started by Drew Lock's father.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 02:33 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Is this KC North up by Claycomo? I grew up near there. Had my wedding dinner there 27 yrs ago. Is it still there?
That's the one....still top notch. The one in Fairway has always been trash and now it's closed (the reason for the 14 year bump).
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 02:37 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I assume Summit Grill is connected to the place with the same name in Lees Summit started by Drew Lock's father.
yes..and downtown Lee's Summit 3rd Stree Social
[Reply]
srvy 02:39 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Yep still there and I still live near. I am old enough to remember when it was Sandy's Oak Ridge Manor > Stroud's.
[Reply]
TLO 02:52 PM 10-01-2019
The only surprising thing about this thread is that I didn't bump it.
[Reply]
RickObie 02:57 PM 10-01-2019
Flying back to see the Chiefs whip up on the Vikings and I can't wait to get me some Stroud's - my parents took my brother and me there as kids on Sunday nights since they served alcohol on the Missouri side. Parent's taught me well...need booze with meals!!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:02 PM 10-01-2019
Side Note: This thread makes me oddly nostalgic for some of the old restaurants that have closed down like Stephenson's Apple Orchard and The Golden Ox.

I can't say I went to either of them more than 3-4 times as a kid, but those were places that had been around for 50-60+ years and just couldn't survive the chain explosions. Now a lot of those chains are struggling and places that could make it through that lean stretch are recovering nicely.

Always happy to see places like that keep their lights on.
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:05 PM 10-01-2019
The one here in Omaha sure didn't last very long.
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:08 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Side Note: This thread makes me oddly nostalgic for some of the old restaurants that have closed down like Stephenson's Apple Orchard and The Golden Ox.
Yes!
[Reply]
Third Eye 03:41 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I can't say I went to either of them more than 3-4 times as a kid, but those were places that had been around for 50-60+ years and just couldn't survive the chain explosions. Now a lot of those chains are struggling and places that could make it through that lean stretch are recovering nicely.

Always happy to see places like that keep their lights on.
Speaking of KC restaurants that are no more, what was the name of the restaurant that was a little west of Metro North on the north side of Barry Road. It was set back off the road a bit and it looked like a country club. My memory of it may not be perfect because it was a long time ago, but I remember it being one of those places you go for prom and such. Hell, it may still exist, but I don’t think so. I never have the need to go to that part of town though, so I can’t be sure.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up