ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Strouds fried chicken
jspchief 08:09 PM 08-10-2005
A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:51 PM 08-11-2005
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Rush Limbaugh, who many probably know used to live here and work for the Royals, has said that Strouds in Kansas City has the best shrimp he has ever eaten anywhere. He had some kind of economic theory (provided by an economics guy he knew) about why a restaurant in the center of the country would have better shrimp than that found in coastal cities, but I didn't really catch the nuts and bolts of the theory.
Same way Mercedes makes el cheapo cars for their domestic market and sends luxury cars to us.
Seafood is not fungible [ie, there is choice seafood, run of the mill seafood, and puny seafood not worth the effort of cooking], and it doesn't travel well. As opposed to gold which is funglible and travels well, so even if you're somewhere where gold is plentiful, you know it's worth collecting and sending to a place where the scarcity makes it valuable. That dynamic is so reliable that the value of gold is universal, meaning it's even valuable right where the mother lode is located.
But on the coast, people realize that crab is just a term for sea spider. They're so numerous that they run of the mill stock in the plentiful season has been washed up onto shore, decomposed and used for crop fertilizer [where it's more valuable than as a foodstuff]. Seafood used to be poor people's food in colonial times, like potatoes in Ireland before the famine.
But inland, where seafood is rare, you can take the very best specimens send them live overnight, get some foo-foo chef to braise them and plate them with some God awfully complicated reduction, and charge $30+ for the experience.
[Reply]
Phobia 06:52 PM 08-31-2005
I proudly took the wife to eat at Strouds this evening, hoping to share a little KC culture with her. We were both disappointed.

Overrated. Vastly.

I'd rather pay for Popeyes chicken 10 times than be given a plate of Stroud's fried chicken.

Everything else was outstanding, but their chicken is bland and sucks. I won't eat that nastiness again.
[Reply]
Fairplay 06:56 PM 08-31-2005
Originally Posted by cowboy_big_rich:
but the wife's is better

Shes ok.
[Reply]
jettio 07:07 PM 08-31-2005
Originally Posted by Phobia:
I proudly took the wife to eat at Strouds this evening, hoping to share a little KC culture with her. We were both disappointed.

Overrated. Vastly.

I'd rather pay for Popeyes chicken 10 times than be given a plate of Stroud's fried chicken.

Everything else was outstanding, but their chicken is bland and sucks. I won't eat that nastiness again.
Does every thread around here have to be about Eva Longoria's poo see?

Sheesh!
[Reply]
Skip Towne 07:09 PM 08-31-2005

Overrated. Vastly.

Dayum....All that praise on this thread and then this???
[Reply]
stevieray 07:11 PM 08-31-2005

Overrated. Vastly.

You came up north just for chicken?
[Reply]
Mr. Kotter 07:20 PM 08-31-2005

Overrated. Vastly.

:-)

Phi, it was STROUDS....not S. TROUDS.

The two are easily confused, and you obviously fell for the conterfiet stuff. Sorry about your experience.
[Reply]
Phobia 07:30 PM 08-31-2005
Originally Posted by stevieray:
You came up north just for chicken?
No. Went to the hellhole on 83rd.
[Reply]
|Zach| 07:32 PM 08-31-2005
Nothing really comes to mind for me when I think about great fried chicken in KC...
[Reply]
Brock 07:32 PM 08-31-2005
Originally Posted by Skip Towne:
Dayum....All that praise on this thread and then this???
It's pretty good fried chicken....but it's still just fried chicken.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:32 PM 08-31-2005
No. Went to the hellhole on 83rd.
No wonder. We'll have to plan on going to the one up here.

It rocks.
[Reply]
|Zach| 07:33 PM 08-31-2005
Originally Posted by Brock:
It's pretty good fried chicken....but it's still just fried chicken.
Thats a good point...its one of those things that can only be so good. Like breakfast.
[Reply]
Phobia 07:41 PM 08-31-2005
Originally Posted by stevieray:
No wonder. We'll have to plan on going to the one up here.

It rocks.
So the one in the northland gave all their recipes to the shithole on 83rd, except for the batter? I can't believe I dropped $15 on a meal I could have really enjoyed for $5 at Popeyes.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 07:43 PM 08-31-2005
Originally Posted by jspchief:
So is that place in a bad part of town, or did it just look like it because it was night time when I was there?
Its on the edge...

Dave
[Reply]
patteeu 07:43 PM 08-31-2005
Their catfish is good, but the real draw for me are the side dishes (e.g. awesome green beans and excellent mashed potatoes and gravy).
[Reply]
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up