ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 27
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>They are coming for the chop too
BigRedChief 06:16 PM 07-05-2020
The Kansas City Chiefs’ racist “Arrowhead Chop” has flown under the radar. Not anymore. The Kansas City Chiefs’ chant isn’t a tribute to people like me. It’s racist.

Rest of original post
Spoiler!

https://www.vox.com/first-person/202...fs-kansas-city

KC Star:
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...244153762.html

Kansas City Magazine:
https://www.kansascitymag.com/is-the...s-who-you-ask/

Twitter has its own hashtag
https://mobile.twitter.com/chopisracist

NY Times: Stop the Chop
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/s...hawk-chop.html
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:26 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
That's the thing, have you heard of any Native American groups speaking out against our name? I sure haven't. I did in the Redskins situation and also regarding the Cleveland Indians and their ridiculous logo, but nothing about the Chiefs, unless I've missed it.

All I've seen is a bunch of virtue signaling white people with too much time on their hands rambling about something nobody else is offended by, trying to ruin something people love to make themselves feel like they're making a difference, when in reality they are doing absolutely nothing good for the world and never will.
The group that was there on Oct 12 included some members of area Native American tribes. That's the only time I recall it recently.

The Chiefs have the benefit of not having a mascot as blatantly racists as Cleveland's Chief Wahoo, or as blatantly appropriating a sacred piece of Native Culture as the University of Illinois' Chief Illiniwek (which featured a headress modeled after the ones worn by Sioux chieftains).

I think they can continue to head off calls for a name change by being careful and thoughtful about traditions.

I get that some people love the chop. They're likely the same people that love doing the wave. I find both silly and played out and refuse to participate in either one, though. So it's hard for me to look at that the same way.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:39 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I get that some people love the chop. They're likely the same people that love doing the wave. I find both silly and played out and refuse to participate in either one, though. So it's hard for me to look at that the same way.
If the chop has to go, so be it. I don't know that they'll ever be able to pull it off, though. The Braves tried to get people to stop a few years ago and failed miserably.

Unless they are going to threaten to actively throw people out of the game, it's going to be really difficult to end it completely.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:57 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
They asked people to do it with a closed fist instead of an open hand.
Not trying to be dense but what exactly would this accomplish?
[Reply]
Mecca 12:07 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You can punch the person in front of you in the back of the head without any accountability.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 12:10 PM 11-30-2022
Absolutely nothing, just like this entire movement.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:12 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
If the chop has to go, so be it. I don't know that they'll ever be able to pull it off, though. The Braves tried to get people to stop a few years ago and failed miserably.

Unless they are going to threaten to actively throw people out of the game, it's going to be really difficult to end it completely.
It's like the headress thing. Or the kickoff song.

Stop playing the song/music that accompanies it. Key is the org just doesn't support it in a public way that can be called out.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:20 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Women vanishing? What's that all about?
I have a former coworker who is now a state rep. She is part NA. She talked and has passed legislation to look into the disappearance of young women from tribes in Minnesota. It is never really talked about here, because they are so far away from the cities and news here does not cover that far.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/tex...sion_year=2018
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 12:25 PM 11-30-2022
Good luck telling Arrowhead to stop...
[Reply]
Grim 12:28 PM 11-30-2022
They were asking fans to emulate the beating of a drum as opposed to a "tomahawk chop".
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 12:37 PM 11-30-2022
If the chop got banned and the stadium did it anyway, it would become a protest. Just letting it go causes a lot less drama.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:38 PM 11-30-2022
The telecasts show the crowd doing the chop.

I'm indifferent to it but wonder how big of a ticket item it really is when its clearly being televised.
[Reply]
Fish 12:40 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
Good luck telling Arrowhead to stop...
Yeah, it's one thing for the organization to state they don't want fans to do it. But 80,000 drunk passionate fans are gonna cheer how they want. It'll happen even if they don't provide the stadium music that normally accompanies it.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 12:42 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
It’s insulting to watch the Washington Commies… bring back the Redskins… it was a great name.
Washington Commies, that's perfect lol. It reflects the situation to a T.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:57 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yeah, it's one thing for the organization to state they don't want fans to do it. But 80,000 drunk passionate fans are gonna cheer how they want. It'll happen even if they don't provide the stadium music that normally accompanies it.
And that's fine, I think.

The organization gets a little cover this way. But maybe they don't feel it is necessary.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:58 PM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Grim:
They were asking fans to emulate the beating of a drum as opposed to a "tomahawk chop".
Yeah, that seems...silly. I mean the motion is the same, the "chant" (which is probably the most offensive part) is the same. Seems like they're focused on simulated violence or something, which again, is silly.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 27
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Up